Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default LED Replacement Bulbs compared to Ordinary Halogen Bulbs

Today, we at Extreme lights decided to do a little experiment. We wanted to know how the LED Replacement Bulbs compared to the ordinary Halogen bulbs in Total Light Output.

Method used

1.We used our integrated sphere with a lux meter to measure the absolute total quantity of light each bulb emitted.
    2.Using the Halogen bulbs as base value, we calculated the relative increase in light for the LED Replacement Bulbs.

The results were spectacular, you could see the difference immediately in the Total Light Output of the LED Replacement Bulbs.

Here is the comparison between the Elite Series LED Replacement Bulbs and the Halogen Bulbs

HB4 = 3 X More Light
    HB3 = 2.2 X More Light
    H7 = 3.2 X More Light
    H4 = 4.8 X More Light

And the Standard Series LED Replacement Bulbs compared to the Halogen Bulbs

H7 = 2.5 X More Light
    H4 = 3.9 X More Light

As you can see the difference was remarkable, we most certainly recommend the LED Replacement Bulbs for anyone who does a lot of long distance driving, especially night time driving.

The LED Replacement Bulbs utilize your vehicle’s standard reflector to project the light forward. In other words, it will not blind oncoming traffic when you use them on DIM. The fact that the CREE XHP50 LED used in the ELITE series has such a tiny footprint, also means that your light will not get unnecessarily diffused, blinding oncoming traffic in DIM mode.

We also compared the Elite Series H7 Bulbs to 35W HID Bulbs, and the LED gave us 2 X more Light than the HID! Amazing! This is just another confirmation that LED Bulbs are much better than any other Bulbs on the market.

LED used in the Elite Series: CREE XHP50

Powered by Cree’s groundbreaking SC5 Technology™ Platform, the XLamp XHP50 LED is a member of Cree’s Extreme High Power (XHP) class of LEDs that redefines lumen density and reliability to radically reduce system costs by up to 40 percent. At its maximum current, the XHP50 LED delivers twice the light output of the industry’s brightest single-die LED, the XLamp XM-L2 LED, with similar lumens per watt and without increasing the package footprint. The XHP50 LED also achieves longer lifetime at higher operating temperatures than previous LED technology. The result is significantly lower thermal, mechanical and optical costs at the system level.

Uhm....your links just go to the normal pages for the light bulbs? Where is the comparison? Or am I just missing it?

Edit....Never mind. Just realised you weren't linking to pics.
    Last edited by avk; 2015/07/17 at 04:36 PM.
    Anton van Kampen

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

And one last question..asked this in the other thread but didn't get a reply...which ones would I use on a 2002-3 Isuzu? I am assuming it doesn't have a computer?

Don't want to spend the money only to find out they don't work on my vehicle.
    Last edited by avk; 2015/07/17 at 04:37 PM.
    Anton van Kampen

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Hi Anton

You should be fine with the Standard series, as they work very well on older vehicles. If you still struggle to decide, feel free to give us a call

I am having problems with my dTeq popping light bulbs every few months. I have resorted to cheap bulbs for this reason as I have to replace them often. How resilient are the LED bulbs to voltage fluctations? (I suspect that might be my bakkies' problem) I don't want to spend the bucks and having to replace the bulb in a few months time, otherwise I'll rather stick with the cheapies.
    Last edited by Pieter van Eeden; 2015/07/17 at 04:57 PM.

Isuzu 300dTeq 4x4 DC
    BMW F650 GS Dakar

Wir könnten nur sagen wir lieben Südwest!

Default Replacements

Would H15 globes also be availible?

Default Led

Can you place different light meter readings on 80 meters between the different bulps when vehicle is on brights please.

I have similar LEDs in my truck. Spectacular bright white light and the dims are brighter than standard halogens, but put it on brights and you can see nothing.

The ones I have a generation 4 with CREE LEDs.

I would love to see light meter readings, on brights at 80 meters with no spot lights to see if yours is the better type that will work on brights.
    "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeLights View Post
    Hi Anton

You should be fine with the Standard series, as they work very well on older vehicles. If you still struggle to decide, feel free to give us a call
    Thanx!
    Anton van Kampen

Hi Anton

Thanx!

Just placed my order.

Anton van Kampen

Quote Originally Posted by Vollatrok View Post
    Would H15 globes also be availible?
    Hi Vollatrok

Unfortunately we don't have the H15 yet, We might get them in at a later stage. Depending on the demand for them.

Regards
    Carmen

Quote Originally Posted by oubaaspieter View Post
    I am having problems with my dTeq popping light bulbs every few months. I have resorted to cheap bulbs for this reason as I have to replace them often. How resilient are the LED bulbs to voltage fluctations? (I suspect that might be my bakkies' problem) I don't want to spend the bucks and having to replace the bulb in a few months time, otherwise I'll rather stick with the cheapies.
    Hi OubaasPieter

The Elite Series LED Replacement bulbs should run on 9V - 32V. You can follow the link below to check out some more detailed specs.

http://www.extremelights.co.za/produ...acement-bulbs/

Please call us for more information. 021 886 5479

Regards
    Carmen

Quote Originally Posted by Hiluxsurf View Post
    Can you place different light meter readings on 80 meters between the different bulps when vehicle is on brights please.

I have similar LEDs in my truck. Spectacular bright white light and the dims are brighter than standard halogens, but put it on brights and you can see nothing.

The ones I have a generation 4 with CREE LEDs.

I would love to see light meter readings, on brights at 80 meters with no spot lights to see if yours is the better type that will work on brights.
    Hi HiluxSurf

Unfortunately we are not able to do that, as each vehicles reflector is different. Because of this each Lux rating would be different.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at our office on 021 886 5479 or [email protected] .

Regards
    Carmen

Default LED Replacement Bulbs compared to Ordinary Halogen Bulbs

Hi HiluxSurf

Unfortunately we are not able to do that, as each vehicles reflector is different. Because of this each Lux rating would be different.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at our office on 021 886 5479 or [email protected] .

Regards
    Carmen

Well,
    If there was a table of before and after readings taken at various distances by using a few vehicles/ makes and models that are supported by your LED units it would be interesting to many.
    Such a table could provide valuable information to people who are considering the update sometime in the future.

And we could possibly get a Forum group together for a light shootout and a braai to determine the variance of the measurements and results over a wide variety of vehicles.

I know I would be interested in such a tryout if there was one nearby.
    It would also answer the question of possible light bleeding or not like the other types of aftermarket upgrades.
    Last edited by Flipside; 2015/07/20 at 01:17 PM.
    Flip

Member: 4x4 Action Group - GP0026 & Suzuki4x4GP
    Awesome: Suzuki Jimny;

Quote Originally Posted by Flipside View Post
    Well,
    If there was a table of before and after readings taken at various distances by using a few vehicles/ makes and models that are supported by your LED units it would be interesting to many.
    Such a table could provide valuable information to people who are considering the update sometime in the future.

And we could possibly get a Forum group together for a light shootout and a braai to determine the variance of the measurements and results over a wide variety of vehicles.

It would also answer the question of possible light bleeding or not like the other types of aftermarket upgrades.
    Hi Flip

We are asking all our Clients who already bought these lights to send us some photos so we can load them on our website. It is a fairly new product so it will still take some time.

However as soon as I get some photos I will also post them here so you guys can have a look.

Regards
    Carmen

Quote Originally Posted by Flipside View Post
    Well,

I'd make the trek down from Windhoek for this...

can you replace halogens with LED in defender headlights which are lensed, or can you only use LED lights in plain glass headlights (unlensed). Does that make sense?
    Defender 110 - 300tdi

If the good lord put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of things before I die, I am so far behind I will never die!

Hi Flip

We are asking all our Clients who already bought these lights to send us some photos so we can load them on our website. It is a fairly new product so it will still take some time.

However as soon as I get some photos I will also post them here so you guys can have a look.

Regards
    Carmen

While that might look cool, there is no "science" in this.

The conditions and scenario is not comparable, measurements are not taken, etc.
    I still suggest that you do a Get together, give a bulk discount

Take a bunch of before measurements and pics.
    Laugh at the weakest stock headlight measurements.

do a bunch of fitments to interested parties' vehicles
    Re- do a set of measurements and pics.
    Celebrate with a cold one the best "improvements"

And publish the results for the rest of us here.
    And get to know a bunch of friendly forum customers or potential customers.
    Flip

Member: 4x4 Action Group - GP0026 & Suzuki4x4GP
    Awesome: Suzuki Jimny;

Hi OubaasPieter

The Elite Series LED Replacement bulbs should run on 9V - 32V. You can follow the link below to check out some more detailed specs.

http://www.extremelights.co.za/produ...acement-bulbs/

Please call us for more information. 021 886 5479

Regards
    Carmen
    Hi Carmen.

Can't the Standard series run over a range of voltages?

Then another question, I see the bulbs have got a heat dissipation fan at the rear. How will these fans deal with situations like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Isuzu 300dTeq 4x4 DC
    BMW F650 GS Dakar

Wir könnten nur sagen wir lieben Südwest!

Hi OubaasPieter

The Standard series LED Replacement Bulbs can run on 12V - 32V, however they are not canbus compatible.

The Elite Series LED Replacement Bulbs should not give any problems in a situation like that, however they should not get mud on them. The Elite Series LED Replacement Bulbs has an IP Rating of 68, which means it is water resistant but not water proof.

For a situation like above, I would not recommend the Standard Series.

Regards Carmen

Well. Just got my set of standard H4 bulbs. They look different to the pics on the website, especially the LED's look a little different, although I'm sure this isn't an issue. Some pics. Excuse the quality, cellphone really sucks at taking pics....included a AA battery to show size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150723_114714 (Copy).jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	356873

Name:	IMG_20150723_114748 (Copy).jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	356874

Name:	IMG_20150723_114812 (Copy).jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	356875

The fan and heat sink is pretty big. This made me worry about fitting the rubber cover of the headlight over the heatsink. But the advantage is that the fan and heatsink CAN be screwed off to make fitment easier.

Name:	IMG_20150723_114945 (Copy).jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	356876

Will be installing them over the weekend and will advise about performance.If I can I'll take a few pics at the same ISO etc. to try and show any difference.
    Anton van Kampen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast