Leopard the culprit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Leopard the culprit?

Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

What the.....

I hoped they at least put the leopard out of it's misery, it is clearly badly hurt
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

there was a thread the other day.

and I'll say it again, my arse.

the Guide harassed the leopard and it attacked him, so he killed it.

The guides in the open top vehicles are .... not very nice. law unto themselves. It's not surprising it happened, and I'd love the opportunity to deal with the knobhead guide in the same way - under my tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    What the.....

I hoped they at least put the leopard out of it's misery, it is clearly badly hurt
    The leopard was put down the same day.

As Tony says but one article said it was euthanised……….more like murdered.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    The leopard was put down the same day.
    Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    As Tony says but one article said it was euthanised……….more like murdered.
    the leopard was pretty healthy looking in the photo at the beginning of the video - not sure if it's the leopard in question to be fair.

and, while it's jumping around it hardly looks like it's a deaths door. I'm all for Euthanising an animal if it eases it's suffering.

but this one was 'Euthanised' because a turd in a tourist vehicle drove over it, followed by another turd in a Hyundai hire wagon. It's leg is clearly broken after that. Of course it was 'Euthanised' - more than merciful, a leopard with a broken leg is not long for this world anyway.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2015/07/10 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks Tony, I was too saddened to read the entire thing the first time, saw it now.

The leopard did not deserve this, but I am wondering if it was completely healthy to start with? With so many vehicles around most leopards will make themselves very scarce. It's behavior just seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Thanks Tony, I was too saddened to read the entire thing the first time, saw it now.

The leopard did not deserve this, but I am wondering if it was completely healthy to start with? With so many vehicles around most leopards will make themselves very scarce. It's behavior just seems odd.
    SanParks said afterwards that the leopard had been fairly badly injured in a fight with another leopard earlier, which might go some way toward explaining its highly unusual behaviour.

From Traveller24:

Cape Town - The leopard that attacked a safari guide in the Kruger National Park last week was captured on camera just an hour before the incident, displaying aggressive behaviour.

Video footage uploaded to YouTube by Gesan Govender over the weekend shows the obviously out-of-sorts creature emerging out of the bushes next to the road. While it seems to ignore the vehicles at first, it suddenly stops and seems to focus on the car from which the video was taken.

Realising that the creature could pose a threat, the self-drive safari-goers can be heard in the background warning each other to close the windows.

Moments later the big cat jumps up against the vehicle.

In the video description Govender explains that the footage was taken about an hour before the same leopard attacked Curtis Plumb (3, a guide for the private operator Nhongo Safari Tours.

According to eye witnesses statements released by SANParks shortly after the attack on Plumb, he was with about 6-8 tourists on his Open Safari Vehicle (OSV), watching the leopard some two metres from the vehicle.

"The animal cunningly disappeared, probably went around the guideí (driver)ís side while the group was still searching for it. The guide had relaxed on the OSV when suddenly the leopard leapt and grabbed his arm, trying to jump into the vehicle," said SANParks General Manager, Communications and Marketing, William Mabasa.

According to the SANParks statement the tourists started hitting the leopard with any object they had with them but the leopard would not let go of the guideís arm.

Mabasa said that despite the appearance that the vehicle might have been too close to the animal, "there was no contravention of any SANParks rules".

He added that park management suspected that the leopard had been involved in a territorial fight with another leopard and that its hind leg had been badly injured.

The creature was captured by rangers, but sadly had to be put down due to its injuries.

- Traveller24
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2015/07/10 at 05:08 PM.

This video adds a whole new complexion to the story. This is not normal behaviour for a leopard. My first thought when I watched it was rabies.

https://youtu.be/dc4L8NKW9o0
    Love your neighbour. Thatís about it, itíll be the world we want.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    This video adds a whole new complexion to the story. This is not normal behaviour for a leopard. My first thought when I watched it was rabies.

There is also a still photo of it looking very emaciated. Clearly in distress which explains its aggression.

That leopard meant business right from the start. One could see it. The rancher should have picked it up!
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Mmm, thanks for the additional info Tony. Enough proof that the leopard was out of sorts.

But it still did not deserve being run over three times and be put in more pain.

I don't think it was strong enough to kill nor that the driver of the game drive vehicle was in mortal danger. The way the leopard chased the vehicle when he reversed looks weak and wobbly and I also thought the leopard looked thin.

This was a horrible thing... I saw the link for the video clip and chose not to watch. Sad!
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post

I want to agree with you that it is a possibility (rabies), but it also looked like the back leg was injured.

Two incidents where 'cats' and guides are involved within a month?

The other day a guide told me that jackal are pack animals, when I told him that he is speaking rubbish he grabbed his guide book and there it was black on white.

If you track or agitate a leopard it will circle and wait for you and attack you. A leopard is sneaky en sy moer is kort. These cats can do 10 meters in split seconds, much faster that the average person anticipate.

Why people think these animals are tame and harmless I don't understand.

A SANPARKs ranger once told me that he is not scared of a lion, because you will always hear or see it, but a leopard is scary; 99% of the time you will only see the attack when it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by japiedc View Post
    I want to agree with you that it is a possibility (rabies), but it also looked like the back leg was injured.
    There was apparently another leopard seen close by, reinforcing the theory of some sort of territorial battle. My thoughts are more around the way that it has a go at the car, it's just such abnormal behaviour. The whole episode is horrible but, I believe, spurred on a lot by the behaviour of the animal. No answers, just a few more questions. Why the second car would have a go at it I don't know, when the "clear and present danger" was over, guess you'd have to ask the driver.

As for the illness, can't say, the aggression sparked my thought of rabies but if could easily be TB as well. There must be a bunch of members here better qualified than me to comment.
    Love your neighbour. Thatís about it, itíll be the world we want.

Besides the injuries from probably a territorial fight, the autopsy showed that it had TB, more than ten porcupine quills were imbedded under the skin, from some time ago, and it had very little stomach contents. He was not a happy leopard. I have an issue with the Hyundai bus driving over the leopard, it posed no threat to anyone in a closed vehicle, and the safari vehicle had long gone. But ..... I do think the (experienced) open vehicle guide.... no I am sitting on my hands.

Yes agree with You.

It shows you how careful you have to be when a big cat is around - you never know what condition or mood it is in. This reminds me of a student ranger in kruger who some time back was killed by a leopard at night. He had stopped on a bridge where you can alight from the vehicle and he took a stroll towards the end of the bridge where he was attacked. The leopard was tracked down and it would found to be very old with worn down teeth.

I also saw a video once of a healthy leopard who was the hell in when being offloaded from a truck and released. The leopard did not want to get out and the driver standing at the side of the vehicle gave the leopard a bit of "prompting" which the leopard clearly did not appreciate. The driver then got back into the vehicle. The moment the leopard got the chance he went round and through the open vehicle window, attacked the driver sitting in the vehicle. This was just sheer revenge.

I have only been charged once by a lion which happened in Chobe. We came around a corner and disturbed a pair mating fairly near the road. The female had no problem with our arrival but the male was furious. Despite having closed windows the male lion crouched down and growled continuously at the car. So it was the car and not us which was the subject of his anger. I quickly decided to move on but warned everyone that he might react when the car moved. As I pulled off to pass them, the male roared and charged full ball at the car, I reacted by flooring the accelerator and just managed to get past him leaving him standing in the middle of the road glaring after the car. Afterwards people who had seen the same pair told us that they had seen them being chased off by elephants and we worked out this must have happened not long before we arrived in the same area.

So it looks like these big cats can also react out of sheer anger as well. Being in extreme pain, like the leopard in this thread must have been in, clearly also heightens the chance of a random attack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast