Wanting FREE ADVICE?? Get it here ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Wanting FREE ADVICE?? Get it here ...

Alrighty guys and gals, finally opening a FREE advice question and answer thread. This is where questions can be asked by the "don't-know-a-lots" and answered by the (hopefully!) "know-it-alls". No question is too silly ... remember we all started by the beginning. Any advice as long as the QUESTION gets answered! Thanks and here goes ...

Every man gets to die but not every man gets to ride a Zook while they live!

Suzuki SJ410 ~ weekend toy
    Kawasaki GPZ400R ~ new project

Question 1400 nissan engine

After I finally got a lot of advice I found the 1400 subassembly for the REASONABLE price I was asking for.

Now I want to ask : I heard a Weber carb will increase my fuel consumption and add more power to it. Advice on which carb and where can I start searching for one in Cape Town?

Thank you

Every man gets to die but not every man gets to ride a Zook while they live!

Suzuki SJ410 ~ weekend toy
    Kawasaki GPZ400R ~ new project

I like the thread, but unfortunately not able to assist with your question. The experienced guys will be around soon enough
    Maybe the question should be in the Nissan thread
    Flip

Member: 4x4 Action Group - GP0026 & Suzuki4x4GP
    Awesome: Suzuki Jimny;

I assume you meant improve rather than increase the fuel consumption. My experience over many years is that to get extra energy (power) from any engine, requires extra energy (fuel) to be put into it. You may find that with the Weber, you can improve the consumption by driving like a granny, but if you want to use the extra horses you have to add some "mielies"
    Last edited by ThysleRoux; 2015/07/06 at 08:24 AM.

I you call Chris from PTA Cote I am pretty sure we will reccomend a genuine nissan 1400 carb.

Suzuki Jimny - BS Dueler AT - Wizerd Steel Undies, Wizerd Rock sliders. Tough Dog Suspension, Front Runner Roofrack
    Suzuki SJ410 '84 - SOLD
    Nissan X-Trail 2009 (Lekker Kar Die)

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Are the rest of the threads pay per view? I'm way behind on payments then....

Flip

Quote Originally Posted by Braampie2 View Post

Now I want to ask : I heard a Weber carb will increase my fuel consumption and add more power to it. Advice on which carb and where can I start searching for one in Cape Town?

Thank you
    Extra power will certainly ask for more than a Weber carburettor .... it is NOT just adding more fuel to the fire, it is how this is used!
    To get the proper and full benefit is to increase the compression ratio, (by doing some skimming of the head), it is to allow more fuel to get INTO the cylinders (by increasing the valve size), and/or allowing the valves to stay open longer by changing the camshaft(s), it is the removal of the spent gasses by changing the exhaust.

To merely add a carburettor will only succeed in wasting fuel.

Yes, some people may THINK that the vehicle is now stronger/faster/quicker, ..... but then they also believe that a "Turbo Sticker" or an aerofoil on the back will make the car faster!! You know how some guys are - the moment the exhaust has a hole in it, resulting in more noise, they think the car is now GREAT!!
    Last edited by Nico Wassermann; 2015/07/06 at 10:38 AM.
    1984 SJ 410 ("Ben Laden" ) sold
    2013 Jimny ("Seuntjie") Wizerd rock sliders and underwear, Steering damper
    2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 ("Moeder") DASTEK chip (Sold)
    2010 Audi S3 ("Silvo")
    2013 VW Touareg V6 TDi ("Geit")
    2 bicycles ("Blitz" and "Monstrosity")
    2014 SYM 300i GTS Scooter ("Babatjie")

Quote Originally Posted by Braampie2 View Post
    After I finally got a lot of advice I found the 1400 subassembly for the REASONABLE price I was asking for.

Thank you
    Having done the conversion from the standard carb, to a Weber 36 dcd, fuel consumption improves dramatically, and so does performance. However, the Weber is not very good at cold starts, and doesn't handle inclines very well.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

Why did the chicken cross the road...........?
    Johan De Graaf
    2019 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2.0 Biturbo 4x2 D/C
    2013 Range Rover e-vogue HSE Dynamic SD4
    2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Why did the chicken cross the road...........?
    To get to the other side.

I second the statement about hill climbing with the weber carbs. Jet sizes and venturi's can be experimented with and a CO2 test will also help show whether power and economy can be balanced in it but previous experience showed that hill climbing they either flood or don't let fuel through. Anyone remember the 'Noddy's' awesome little military vehicle with a Chev (remember them being 2.4l in most) and a 36 weber on it? Military 4x4 that could not climb hills was a biatch to start? Webers were popular cos they could be easily fitted to most cars back in the day when the prices were low so consumption wasn't an issue. They also sounded great and on little engines like the 1400 made more noise than the exhaust and of course that meant more power

They were finicky and with such a large throat the 1400 will never have a nice smooth power/torque curve which I personally would prefer over a power band and no power either side of it.

My 2cents would be to stick with a smaller carb and one that has a small float chamber like the Nissan 1400's as it should have less hill issues and will give close enough to maximum power with decent consumption and will be cheaper and easier to maintain and use on a daily basis as well as off-road.
    Last edited by GordonF; 2015/07/06 at 11:20 AM.

Take my advise! I don't use it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by GordonF View Post
    I second the statement about hill climbing with the weber carbs. Jet sizes and venturi's can be experimented with and a CO2 test will also help show whether power and economy can be balanced in it but previous experience showed that hill climbing they either flood or don't let fuel through. Anyone remember the 'Noddy's' awesome little military vehicle with a Chev (remember them being 2.4l in most) and a 36 weber on it? Military 4x4 that could not climb hills was a biatch to start? Webers were popular cos they could be easily fitted to most cars back in the day when the prices were low so consumption wasn't an issue. They also sounded great and on little engines like the 1400 made more noise than the exhaust and of course that meant more power

They were finicky and with such a large throat the 1400 will never have a nice smooth power/torque curve which I personally would prefer over a power band and no power either side of it.

My 2cents would be to stick with a smaller carb and one that has a small float chamber like the Nissan 1400's as it should have less hill issues and will give close enough to maximum power with decent consumption and will be cheaper and easier to maintain and use on a daily basis as well as off-road.
    The stock Nissan carb doesn't do inclines either.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

HI

My 1400 does quite well on the uphills in the Dunes but cuts out on the long downhills . I am going to try the Weber and see how it performs , it can`t be worse than the 4Km / l I get in the Dunes.

Andrew

Agree, stock 1400 carbs do not like inclines. My A15 engine in my SJ battled on long ongoing steep inclines
    Flip

Who measures fuel consumption off road ?

Quote Originally Posted by ThysleRoux View Post
    Who measures fuel consumption off road ?

At least the Weber carb will allow you to gooi mielies offroad, the stock one not so much.
    Flip

Should I eat yellow snow?

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Should I eat yellow snow?
    Yes extra minerals and vitamins
    Suzuki Jimny 2011
    215/75/15 BFG AT, OME, Wizerd: Rocksliders, Bash Plate,Stabilizer Protection Cups and Diff Protector, Steering Damper, Bullbar

2011 Ford Everest 4x4 (Mom's Taxi)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast