Nigeria Vaccinations

Default Nigeria Vaccinations

Hi guys, looking for some advice. I am travelling to Nigeria for business and on the health requirements they state that I need a yellow fever and cholera vaccination. According to the travel clinic there is no cholera vaccination at the moment.

Does anybody have information on this cholera vaccination?

Thanks
    2007 Nissan Navara 2.5dCI Double Cab 4x4
    Safari Snorkel
    ARB Bumper
    Load Bin Lid
    Rear Drawer System
    Long Range Fuel Tank

Check that they simply give you a card indicating cholera-related info. It's yellow as well, at least mine was from several years ago. I was in Nigeria recently and had no questions about cholera. Folks seemed more concerned about Ebola. However, make sure you've had your yellow fever shot valid for at least 10 days before you travel. Nigeria is a place where you wish to have all your ducks in a row, so you don't get fleeced by unscrupulous immigration officials. Lagos can be particularly unpleasant from that perspective, Abuja no problems.

Besides the yellow fever certificate, make sure you pack some Imodium, rehydration solution packets and get your doctor/clinic to supply/prescribe ciprofloxacin (for serious tummy bugs). Depending on the work you do, the likelihood of you getting travelers diarrhea is far higher than cholera.

I would also take anti-malarial precautions as a matter of course.
    Gambit: MY07 D3 TDV6 HSE
    It's the small things in life that matter

Hi Sol, thank you for the feedback! My yellow fever shot is from December 2006 and valid till next year, so I should be fine there. I will ask the travel clinic for the card.

We normally stick the more reputable hotels and bottled water, but I will definitely get the medicine on your list and the malaria meds. Better to be prepared....
    Safari Snorkel
    ARB Bumper
    Load Bin Lid
    Rear Drawer System
    Long Range Fuel Tank

I just checked my Cholera Certificate. It says "This is to certify that......... Whose signature follows...... Has complied with the international requirements for cholera immunization." It is dated, signed and stamped by a Netcare clinic. It's a bit old though, March 2006. So I'm not sure if they still do the same thing today.
    Gambit: MY07 D3 TDV6 HSE
    It's the small things in life that matter

Make sure that you are fully healthy as well (no flu, colds, fever) when you land in Lagos. A spike in temperature will result in a runaround of note.
    RANGER T6 2.2 DC 4X4 XL/XLS/XLT and even a bit of WILDTRAK FRANKENSTEIN FORD

Thanks to everyone for the info, hopefully the below can help someone else as well:
    - there is no vaccination for cholera, but you do get a stamp in your book for cholera stating exempt
    - the doctor used the site http://www.travax.nhs.uk/ for some info on Nigeria (here she saw info outbreaks of polio and meningitis in the last 12 months). The public version of the site is http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/desti...a/nigeria.aspx
    - the doctor gave me the African cocktail (Vivaxim, Quadra and Menomune) and that covers Tetanus, Diptheria, Polio, Pertussis, Hepatatis A, Typhoid and Meningitis
    - Malanil was prescribed for the Malaria

An interesting thing was that I had to get my pevious certificate of vaccination replaced as apparently you now need a barcoded one.

So now it is only the other meds that Sol mentioned and then I am as ready as possible for Nigeria.
    Safari Snorkel
    ARB Bumper
    Load Bin Lid
    Rear Drawer System
    Long Range Fuel Tank

Cholera vaccine is called Dukoral, it's an oral vaccine so no nasty needles

I should have stock, but I suppose bit far for you
    What a life!