Nambwa Community Camp

Default Nambwa Community Camp

Hi all,
    I am returning to Caprivi since last being in the region in 2012. Bum Hill had burned down and we stayed at Nambwa community camp. What's the lay of the land in 2015. New camps? Is Nambwa still operating as a community camp? I have found their website but feel like I am communicating into a black hole. Has Bum Hill been rebuilt?
    Any regulars up there with Intel?
    Thanks all
    Andre

Nambwe is still operating. There is a lodge built close to it now. Looks like you can book through them now.

http://www.nambwalodge.com/#sthash.c611HXnA.dpbs
    Last edited by JLK; 2015/07/01 at 03:58 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Thanks Johan. Do you know of any other spots along that river on the West Bank North or South of the Trans Caprivi H?

Hi Andre

You can contact Nambwa Tented Lodge directly on +264 81 125 2122 as they are now handling the reservations for the campsite. Jackie is very efficient and I received my confirmation by email within a couple of hours after my initial call.

They only have 4 sites on the river now and a further two near the ablutions which I think is mostly used for overflow. The rates are N$175.oo per person per night.

I had been worried that the campsite would have lost some of the charm due to the lodge but I am very happy to report that it is not the case It is every bit as awesome as it used to be.

They have added electrical lighting to the ablution and have also prived 3 x plug points at the ablution for the charging of camera batteries, mobile phones, tablets, etc.

Take a fairly decent axe with as the firewood is the length of a dropper and 5 times as thick

Andre
    2016 Ford Ranger Super Cab 3.2 XLT ( Exotech Canopy, Front Runner Roofrack, Alucab Shadow Awning, Alucab Drawers, 60 L Water Tank & Frontrunner Aux Fuel Tank)
    2015 Afrispoor Cheetah

Thanks Andre! With a name like that you must be a good guy 😀

Look at http://www.mashiriversafaris.com/

Dan Stephens runs a great operation. Not far from Nambwa.

I am spending 4 days with Dan before arriving at Mashi. Really looking forward to it. Bringing my fly rod

Caprivi Houseboat Safari Lodge, Katima Mulilo

There'll be no water left ;-)

Nambwa used to be one of our old favourites and we one year spend a whole 4 days there on our own with the local staff away for two days due to national holiday.

We camped there again early June this year but it lost it's appeal due to the lodge. The tented lodge is built in the area of campsites 1 to 5 and only old campsites 6 and 7 left and another small one not next to the water, which cost a bit less.

The tented camp is on about 4m stilts and overlook the bit of flood plane to the west. The entrance road from north has been closed and all traffic from now pass the campsite.

Douwe
    Douwe
    Synchro,
    Defender,
    Colt,
    now Ranger.

Douwe

I think your post is slightly misleading as only old camp sites 1 & 2 has been claimed by the lodge whilst sites 3 to 6 remains exactly as before with a little wooden deck added to each site.

In addition two sites had been added next to the ablution block and you are correct in saying they are slightly cheaper.

It is still one of the most rustic camp sites you can find with elephant and hippo passing through almost every night. The resident leopard's tracks can be seen most mornings and the bird life is wonderful.

What about Horse Shoe and everything beyond that? You can explore the park for days on end as there are so many different roads to follow and you will be absolutely amazed at the variety of wildlife.

It is conveniently located to vist Mudumo and Nkasa Lupala on a day trip.

I am not connected to the lodge in any way and should slap myself silly for writing this because the less people who like the site the easier it is for me to camp there for a week and longer but I think it is important to see it all from the right perspective
    2016 Ford Ranger Super Cab 3.2 XLT ( Exotech Canopy, Front Runner Roofrack, Alucab Shadow Awning, Alucab Drawers, 60 L Water Tank & Frontrunner Aux Fuel Tank)
    2015 Afrispoor Cheetah

Andre,
    As I said, it used to be very quiet, especially during summer and the atmosphere with a lodge and people/generators etc is just not the same. Yes, Horse Shoe still same but other roads, eg the one that run from about Hippo Pool in a westerly direction towards the Caprivi main road is now closed.

Speak from memory now but regarding the camp sites, numbers 3 and 4 are used for lodge parking. 5 is so close to the staff camp that few people will enjoy that.

Surprisingly we also seen significantly fewer wildlife this time.

Many visitors will still love it but having visit the real wild area over a few years, the new setup feels to me like third price.
    Douwe
    Synchro,
    Defender,
    Colt,
    now Ranger.