Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rigging suggestions to unload Generators

First of all, if this thread is not technical enough for this section of the forum, I apologies, can the mods please move it to where it belongs.

OK, so we have a slight problem with our "smaller" generators we supply, in that the transport and delivery costs are just massive. Yesterday I got a quote of R8000 to deliver a 350Kg, 10Kva 3 phase diesel Gennie from Edenvale to Hurlingham.

Our Kipor range of under about 900Kg and physical size of smaller than 20Kva, we can probably transport on our Harbody, it's the task of lifting it off the bakkie and moving it onto it's plinth, that is a problem for us.

We have been thinking about a mobile crane type setup with "I" beam and legs with a chain crawl. But we are faced with one problem after the other to match heights from the load bin of the bakkie and then onto the usually uneven ground of the garden beds we often need to cross to get to the plinth.

I know we could probably just go out and purchase some purpose made equipment to do the task, but we are just starting up and we need to do a fair amount more installations before we can look at our own trucks with cranes, or forklifts, or TLB's.

SO, any guys with some inventive spirit and ideas to help us move these generators around without dropping them, or letting them fall over.

I got to deliver one next week, and I would hate the client to see me drop his new R80K baby.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

I lifted a large 750kg generator of a cattle trailer the other day by using a strong engine lift as found in a mechanic place.

Good idea on flat ground, but wheels are small to try and pull it through a garden bed. I must see what weight they can actually handle at full extension.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

Jack, woodblocks and rail slides

We once moved a 3MW generator into position with a guy who arrived on site with a bakkie, bottle jacks, a beam or two and some woodblocks similar to the attached (taken from web)

Not fast ,but simple and cheap.

If the generator can be placed on a roll bed equipped with sliding gate (security gate) rail wheels with angle iron tracks set located on bakkie .Roll of bakkie onto woodblock pile with top angle iron rail track, Jack down onto ground level.

Add rail to front, roll platform on, pick up rail at the back and move to the front , roll platform forward and so on. Use Tirfor winches or "Come-a-Longs/ Block-and-Tackles on steep inclines/declines.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by vlakkie; 2015/07/01 at 01:14 PM.
    Old:1998 Hilux SC 3000D
    Old: 2001 Hilux DC KZTE
    Old: 2007 Fortuner 3.0D4D
    Current: VW T5.1 BiTdi Transporter

please excuse my crude (not to scale picture)

But use a fulcrum with enough leverage (the long arm can extensible or can be bolted together quickly)

If you have enough leverage you can move it slow and accurately.

EDIT : The fulcrum base can even be assembled off the bakkie. Just make sure the base diamater is at least double the short arm length of the fulcrum..
    Last edited by MariusFourie; 2015/07/01 at 01:03 PM.

Maybe buy an engine hoist and modify it to fit 6" wheels on it that you can bolt on
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.0 td VX, SAC intercooler, Kumho KL78 A/T's. DIY roofrack and rack system.
    "Good judgement come from experience, experience come from bad judgement"

Our Kipor range of under about 900Kg and physical size of smaller than 20Kva, we can probably transport on our Harbody, it's the task of lifting it off the bakkie and moving it onto it's plinth, that is a problem for us.
    I would look at a 4 wheeled trolly of sorts to move between the ldv and plinth, then a 4 legged gantry that you can use to remove the jenny from the ldv, dismantle, erect at the plinth, push trolly under, lift and place on plinth.
    2007 TDV6 S
    ARB BB and winch,BRS HD tow bar,TT and EGR's blanked,RR with dual awnings,Duel batterys,Custom long lange tank,Centre mount fridge,Custom rear box,Custom internal water tank 65Lt,Custom dash consol,Custom swing out spare wheel carrier, Adjustable 50mm suspension lift, SDV6 3Lt conversion.

hier is dalk n plan as jy gereeld aflewerings gaan doen
    Gerhard Beukes
    Mr Big

2015 Navara 4x4
    4x4 Com Radio: 1033

Some nice ideas, thanks..

This is our unit we are supplying next week, just in three phase. It stands 840 high, and weighs in at around 350kg, so it looks like that hoist will do the job getting it off the bakkie, but then we need to lift/drag it across 2,5 meters garden bed to the plinth.

That hoist is not going to make the distance.

The unit has castors, but you can see on the video how small they are and that the ground clearance is minimal. I thought of letting it run in channel to the plinth directly off the bakkie.

Those wheels do not swivel, so no steering. Also not sure how easy it would be to just swing it around 90Deg to stand as it should on the plinth.

Also thinking that the rigging setup could end up weighing in just about as heavy as the generator.

BFree,

When on the ground we rolled the gen on gumpoles. Like the old egyptions. you need 5-6 poles a bit longer than the gennie is wide. As you roll you put the back one in front.
    Very old school but works like a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by jagbeukes View Post
    That's a great idea! Love it! Simple and effective.

We use a 4 wheel flat bed trolley with good size wheels ( kruiwawiele) and a normal 1 ton "elephant crane" ( the manual hydraulic crane for removal of engines but also fitted with bigger size wheels).
    From the truck onto the trolley with the hydraulic crane, push/drag to where ever you want it on the trolley. From the trolley onto the plinth with the hydr. crane again.

Sorted on a cheap way.....

Quote Originally Posted by jagbeukes View Post
    Dit was ook een van ons idees gewees, maar om daai beam te kan stut op sy punt, of sommer los te h dat ons hom ook kan skuif.

Of een so op die bakkie, en twee wat los is en jy kan dan een voor die ander skuif soos jy wil beweeg na jou plinth.

Daai Gladiator spook nou by ons. Dis redelik soos wat ons aan gedink het, en ons het 'n 6m stuk "I" beam wat hier rens nog moet rond l.

Daai pote op die bakkie gaan wel moet kan verstel om ons beter hoogte te gee sonder dat die bakkie sy lewe op die pad spandeer op 2,4 meter hoogte. Die pote gaan dus moet reg op staan.

sit lekker wiele aan die 4 pote van die raamwerk, dan kan jy die vrag af laai, die raam aflaai en die vrag weer optel en rond stoot, die wiele kan met n stubbie as deur die raam druk en met n pen vas maak, dan verloor jy nie wydte op die bakkie nie

pasop om nie n olifant te ontwerp as jy n perd nodig het nie, I beam is swaar, kry net die regte size vir die gewig wat jy wl optel
    Gerhard Beukes
    Mr Big

2015 Navara 4x4
    4x4 Com Radio: 1033

Hoop die manne by die staal plek kan vir my "load ratings" gee op die I beam per die lengte waarna ons kyk.

Some nice ideas on the youtube
    I think this one is good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PwIpyf3yik
    No longer active

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast