Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine Wash

Default Engine Wash

Tunland Drivers, your experience from the garages doing your services?

The dealer I use for servicing, and bought my vehicle from claim that they have been instructed from Foton SA, not to wash the engine, engine bay?

What will the engine and bay look like after a good couple of km's. I have just over 20K on mine, and are not happy with the way it look already!

Your experience?

HI
    SERVICE MINE AT MENLYN. THEY HAVE NOT WASH THE ENGINE. i DO IT MYSELF.
    FOTON TUNLAND 4X4 LUX
    UPGRADES:"LEVEL IT" SPACER KIT,2" LIFT WITH RANCHO ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS,ROCKSPIDER 4X4: BASHPLATE,ROCKSLIDERS,REARBUMPER/TOWBAR COMBINATION. UTILITY BOXES FOR AIR COMPRESSOR AND RECOVERY GEAR. DIY CANOPY. NEW CUSTOM BUMPER.

Quote Originally Posted by RiaanB1025 View Post

The dealer I use for servicing, and bought my vehicle from claim that they have been instructed from Foton SA, not to wash the engine, engine bay?

What will the engine and bay look like after a good couple of km's. I have just over 20K on mine, and are not happy with the way it look already!

Your experience?
    Hi RiaanB1025.

Last time I went to the dealer, an engineer told me it’s not forbidden to wash the engine but it’s preferable no to do it because of the risk of pressured water goes to still hot parts or, worst, to affect electric parts (heat can affect impermeability of a hose or joint). That time they washed my engine for the first time in two years. So, don’t worry for a bit dirty engine, only you will see it.
    Last edited by Rod1; 2015/07/04 at 01:07 AM. Reason: I forgot to subscribe

I clean mine my self. Not with high pressure hose. I like to see what is going on under the bonnet

I also, all my vehicles historically clean the engines and engine bays myself frequently. Some of my previous vehicles and 4x4's had 300,000km's + on the clock, and the engines was always spotless, and free of oil leaks.
    I have been "warned" by Foton, should I have moisture, water related damage under the bonnet, no warrantee.........
    Also interesting, I have contacted Cummins, and they are not aware of rules about not washing the engine, that is a Foton rule, and we just have the accept that.

The only issue I would have is hot engine and cold water .... Particularly around the high pressure fuel pump . Low pressure should be fine but obviously you wouldn't fill the fuse box etc with water .

Paintbrush, toothbrush, engin cleaner, handy andy, elbow grease, wishy washy, hot water! Air hose if it is dusty.

Today for an experiment I low pressure washed a new foton engine bay . The result was a dash display with multiple error codes and me with a scan tool clearing them . So I guess be careful when washing or preferably use air to blow clean if possible . I did do a second wash then allowed for the car to dry out and the codes cleared themselves . But I think I would advise to use air if possible

Quote Originally Posted by RiaanB1025 View Post

Your experience?
    Hi guys,

I just collected my tunland from dealer and found the guy washing engine. It was covered with water all over the electrics. This seemed fine. Well finger crossed.
    But my Fotolife is pretty lazy to start off. Any help with the lag in turbo?

Hoe beleef julle ouens die clutch op die Tuinland? Ek lees hier dis maar n ding?
    2016 BMW 535d

JIP, AUS/NZ HIER,almal het probleme met clutch aan begin. Hul het exedy hd clutch beskikbaar is Aus maar nie hier nie.
    FOTON TUNLAND 4X4 LUX
    UPGRADES:"LEVEL IT" SPACER KIT,2" LIFT WITH RANCHO ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS,ROCKSPIDER 4X4: BASHPLATE,ROCKSLIDERS,REARBUMPER/TOWBAR COMBINATION. UTILITY BOXES FOR AIR COMPRESSOR AND RECOVERY GEAR. DIY CANOPY. NEW CUSTOM BUMPER.

My Tunland se clutch was replaced op 23,000km's, maar die clutch plaat self was nog baie mooi, die een oor op die thrust bearing het af gebreek.
    Het nou 47,000km's op.

NO [email protected] Spray engine cleaner, wipe it off and blow the whole engine bay with a compressor.

Jip het my collar ook vervang,
    FOTON TUNLAND 4X4 LUX

Hoeveel km's het jy nou op?

Quote Originally Posted by UITZICHT View Post
    HI
    SERVICE MINE AT MENLYN. THEY HAVE NOT WASH THE ENGINE. i DO IT MYSELF.
    Ekskuus?

:-)

A WK and XJ.

Gustave Flaubert - “to think is to suffer”

Was die swak clutches net n 'bad batch' in n sekere jaar? Of as n man vandag een gaan koop, dan kan jy maar weet die clutch gaan groet?

Waarmee vervang hulle hom? Met nog n ### clutch?

Hoe is Foton the 'customer service' ? En onderdele beskibaarheid? Ek sien die Tata manne moan hard.
    2016 BMW 535d

My bakkie staan nou op 35000KM. DINK DIE CLUTCH BLY MAAR PROBLEEM. EXEDY HEAVY DUTY CLUTCH REPLACMENT KLINK NA DIE OPLOSSING. DIENS NIE DIE BESTE NIE. EN HUL LAAT JOU WAG.
    FOTON TUNLAND 4X4 LUX

Hoekom skree jy so?

A WK and XJ.

Gustave Flaubert - “to think is to suffer”

I use paraffin and one of those red cans with a nozzle (not sure it what it is called) that attaches to my compressor, to clean the engine. Then I use the soapy water function on the karcher which is low pressure. Then just scrub a little with a cleaning brush to get rid of the worst of the dust. Then I give it a good going over with full pressure from the High Pressure.

I tend to hit the mechanical bits pretty hard and the electric bits from quite a distance, by which time the high pressure is mostly just mist. I think if you use your noggin it should not be too hard.

I have done this to my ford v6 ranger, my landrovers Disco 1 and 2 and my Amarok without any ill effects. That being said, if I ran a car wash, i would also not do engine bays as if you do cause an issue, it will all be your fault. In that case i would probably provide the owner with the equipment and say "use at your own risk"

I think this is a typical case of the idiot who spends two minutes blasting the ECU connectors, fuse box etc with high pressure, causing issues, and then the OEM, who has to account for the idiot, making a sweeping ruling.

Like others, I like to see what it going on in my engine bay.

Cheers
    Stephen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast