Undecided Next Buy - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by JKUR View Post
    If you have a Job and all, maybe have a look at finance as an option and invest the R120 000 into something that can grow.

A vehicle is a depreciating asset, unless you have lots of cash, id suggest you invest your cash and finance the vehicle.

The Honda CRV has the best reliability, but the Kia, would probably be my choice out of your list.
    Shoo, that's wild advice.

The vehicle will depreciate the same doesn't matter if you finance it or pay cash.

Not a hope in hell you will earn more after tax from the investment than you will pay in interest on a loan.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

What about this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,

William

D4 v8 --Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Shoo, that's wild advice.

The vehicle will depreciate the same doesn't matter if you finance it or pay cash.

Not a hope in hell you will earn more after tax from the investment than you will pay in interest on a loan.

I pumped my cash into a deposit on a house, best thing Ive done in my life my interest on my vehicle Ill only feel in 5 years from now. Buy the same house I put a deposit down on in 5 years time, id be looking at an extra R500 000.
    Last edited by JKUR; 2015/06/25 at 04:47 PM.
    2008 - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JKU

Quote Originally Posted by JKUR View Post
    I pumped my cash into a deposit on a house, best thing Ive done in my life my interest on my vehicle Ill only feel in 5 years from now. Buy the same house I put a deposit down on in 5 years time, id be looking at an extra R500 000.
    That not the same thing as you said. Completely different discussion.

But your have a lot to learn.

The "ill only feel in 5 years time", is gonna kill you financially if you believe that and continue doing it.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

On your list, I'd go for the X trail, the best 4x4 out of that lot aswell in my opinion. The diesel can give some headaches when mileages become very high, but again most diesels do. They all need maintaining more so than petrol. Off the list, id look at a Suzuki GV which is awesome, and also a older Paj 3.2 which is also awesome. Comes down to your choice! All good, drive them all and you will know.

How much space do u want?

The newest and lowest mileage proper 4x4 you can get in that price range is a Jimny. Its technically a SUV, just a small one take out back seats and you got plenty space.

Seen a few 2010 models with just over 60 000km for that price.
    2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2010 jimny - sold what a 4x4
    2001 colt V6 - sold (drinker)

Quote Originally Posted by blaize.liebs View Post

XJ Junkie - Had a 2 friends who had a Foresters and both had endless problems, that's why i did not consider it YET.
    Although there is certain things that can obviously cause issues
    The Foresters aren't generally cars that has endless problems

Pretty much the only thing that would generally cause major issues is if radiator failed and was not picked up in time.

And the SLS shocks fitted to some of the models works but don't last as long as the normal shocks

Beyond that they are generally quite reliable

Oh one other thing that can cause issues is if there was a bunch of modifications made by unreliable sources
    That can stuff it up quickly

So if you buy a Forester and have changes made then just make sure it is done by places with decent reputation

You can check on the forum specifically to that group
    http://foresterforum.co.za
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2015/06/29 at 07:16 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

I love problem cars.

I'm not nearly as rich as my fleet suggests. I usually buy cars that the owners are ready to burn as they are unreliable money pits. i then spend a little money and a lot of time sorting them out, and the vast majority of these problems can be traced back to the last person who took a spanner to them. Even when intentionally buying the worst example of a particular vehicle I can find (for peanuts) I have yet to own a bad car. I just undo all the stuff the previous mechanic botched, and I get a good car for a fraction of the price.

I'm not suggesting you do this, as if you are paying R4k for a service you're obviously not the DIY type and would pay more than it was worth to get a workshop to fix the type of stuff I buy. What I am suggesting is that if you or your friend owns a money pit, it is more important to change your mechanic than it is to change your car. I would be interested to hear if your Forester friends use the same workshop?

Some recent issues I have bought cars with:
    Enormous oil leak. I could smell it burning off the exhaust so I looked at the engine above the exhaust first. Saw a sump bolt was several turns out. Tightened it and noticed the one next to it was loose too, and the one next to that was gone! Turned out 4 were missing and the tightest one was 2 turns out.
    One wheel alignment (camber) way out- loose bolt on the control arm. same car as above
    ABS light on and car has been to the same mechanic 3x and he cannot solve it, although he has billed several thousand each time- turned out to be a missing fuse. Wonder how long he was planning on milking that one.
    Engine light on- 2 connectors swopped round. eaasily identified with diagnostics
    Broken gearbox as diagnosed by mechanic. R5000 quoted, which the owner didn't have. Turned out to be a worn out linkage. 10 minutes and R81 sorted it.
    THere's a lot more, i just can't think of them right now.
    Last edited by Hagu13; 2015/07/02 at 03:18 PM.
    Rob
    V8 Defender 90 pickup. Lexus, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    MG TF160 VVC ZandF remapped
    Buell XB12R

I would go with the X-trail.

btw, alot depends if you a DIY guy as well, cos irrespective of brand, you will still need some cash to keep your vehicle in tip top shape.
    Die Hard
    "When all else fails, use brute strength & ignorance"
    2005 Disco 3. V8 SE
    1996 Disco 1. 3,9 V8 Manual (Sold)
    1994 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 (Sadly Sold)
    2000 Lada Niva (was loads of fun)
    2004 Renault Megane (Swambo)
    2005 Scott road bike (work commuter)
    2011 Merida 120 (weekend MTB, sadly stolen)
    2014 Specialized Epic 29er (MTB)
    2012 Specialized Tarmac SL3 (road)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2