Jimny front disc shenanigans

Default Jimny front disc shenanigans

Hi All

2011 Jimny

Having had OEM front discs skimmed and new pads fitted at 67 000km mark upon recommendation of both dealer and independent brake outfit I am once more (at 75 000km) faced with a violent pulsing through the brake pedal and feedback via steering column i.e. time to completely replace brakes.

A quote of R1850 a disc via dealership elicited a knee-jerk 'bugger that' reaction and I've since sourced a set of ALFA DR6101 through Autozone at R1100 (inc VAT) a piece ... and for a while I was somewhat chuffed at a perceived savings, until I tried having them fitted at Supa Quik. The technician informed me (and I witnessed) that the new disc would not fit on the wheel hub. The spigot diameter seemed just that bit too small and the disc could not be seated.

Bemused, I called Autozone and informed them of the fact. I also double checked ALFA's website to confirm part number and indeed the DR6101 was recommended for Jimny's 2008 onward. Measuring up internal diameter of new discs there did not appear to be eccentricity and by and large the figure arrived at was 107mm as listed under ALFA spec.

Ferodo's catalogued alternative to the OEM disc is a DDF351 - also of 107mm spigot diameter. Anecdotally, overlaying the existing vehicle mounted disc (once removed) with new disc, surface to surface, visually confirmed the one centre bore did not match the other.Searching the web I stumbled across this link http://www.bigjimny.com/index.php/fo...disc-size-help and perhaps the mystery is solved?

It would seem that post 2005 (or thereabouts) Jimny's have 108.3mm centre diameters (as opposed to earlier 107mm centres) and that makes a world of difference. Perhaps there is a workaround? No doubt one could have a mm or two machined off by a machine shop but that seems extra palavah and cost.

Perhaps I was just daft, didn't do enough research and made a rookie error. Heck, maybe my hubs have an issue?! Whatever the case, I do wonder if anyone else has walked a similar path in independently replacing their front discs? Perhaps this has been raised as a thread on this forum before, though a cursory search and read didn't flag this issue. If so, my apologies for rehashing. As it transpires, ATE has a model 24.0110-0355.1 that has 108mm centres and the search currently endures for these

Perhaps this experience could be useful to someone ...

Violent pulsing would indicate a possible issue with the ABS to me. Bleed the brakes all round again and check if the light flashes when applying the brakes but not hard enough for the ABS to kick in.

All South african Jimny's have discs with a centre hole of 108.3mm.

I fitted EBC discs, and they asked which hole size, 107 or 108.3.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

I just did the same thin over the weekend. Bought 2 discs from Midas make "Stone" for R322 per disc. The size of the whole was 107 mm. I measure the original and determined they needed to be 108mm. Luckily a family member with a steelworks could machine it out to 108mm. Only to find out they were still too small. So after measuring with an electronic vernier we saw that the correct measurement is 108.26mm. Machined them a bit more and they were 100%.Fitted them with TextAR brake pads. Brakes are working very well now.
    Suzuki Jimny 2011
    215/75/15 BFG AT, OME, Wizerd: Rocksliders, Bash Plate,Stabilizer Protection Cups and Diff Protector, Steering Damper, Bullbar

2011 Ford Everest 4x4 (Mom's Taxi)

Quote Originally Posted by GordonF View Post
    Violent pulsing would indicate a possible issue with the ABS to me. Bleed the brakes all round again and check if the light flashes when applying the brakes but not hard enough for the ABS to kick in.
    Nope... I had the same issue. Hot spots on the dics. Discs look 100% finr but you get quite a shudder under hard braking. New discs and pads work well
    Suzuki Jimny 2011
    215/75/15 BFG AT, OME, Wizerd: Rocksliders, Bash Plate,Stabilizer Protection Cups and Diff Protector, Steering Damper, Bullbar

2011 Ford Everest 4x4 (Mom's Taxi)

The "Violent Pulsing" made me think of that. Normally people complain of vibrations or shaking etc and to differentiate between the two can be difficult to explain.

Hi Guys,

Did anyone find discs that are not from Power Brake? Also need to replace mine, and it is getting serious now.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by laserdash View Post
    Hi Guys,

Did anyone find discs that are not from Power Brake? Also need to replace mine, and it is getting serious now.

Regards,
    I have EBC Discs, from Formula Friction in Edenvale.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED

Quote Originally Posted by saxj View Post
    I have EBC Discs, from Formula Friction in Edenvale.
    What I should have said was, has anyone found a set of replacement discs, that doesn't almost cost the same as OEM.

I am looking for a Set of ATE's. I found some, but the inner diameter was 107mm.

So the search continues.

Quote Originally Posted by laserdash View Post
    What I should have said was, has anyone found a set of replacement discs, that doesn't almost cost the same as OEM.

I am looking for a Set of ATE's. I found some, but the inner diameter was 107mm.

So the search continues.
    R2400 for the discs - I don't know what OEM cost.
    R700 for the pads - Much cheaper and better than OEM.
    Vic

I installed ATE on our Jimny

or Well, I let it be put on.

Midas Quoted me I think R960 per disc and HiQ Dastek Quoted me R 890 Per disk installed so I went that route. Had the same size issue although HiQ sorted it out on the spot with no extra charge. They just filled the excess off a bit with a electric Metal Round File.

Obviously took them an extra 45 mins to fit them but I can't complain. It fitted and works 100% with no issues.
    Creeper

Jimny 1.3 - Radial cup Protectors, Front & Center Bash Plates, 50mm EFS's, Rock Sliders, Front Recovery Points, Snorkel.

P.S. Formula Friction are Awesome.

If you have the Money Get yourselfs some GreenStuff, So worth the while only downside are that you need to wait 2 weeks for the pads. Talking about it I need to order another set to have them ready when I need them and need for my Caddy aswell
    Creeper

Jimny 1.3 - Radial cup Protectors, Front & Center Bash Plates, 50mm EFS's, Rock Sliders, Front Recovery Points, Snorkel.

That is what I have planned now. Bought a set of discs yesterday, having them machined out today. And then I'll fit them over the weekend.