VW 8 Speed Gearboxes - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: VW 8 Speed Gearboxes

Ek het VW Klerksdorp werkswinkel bestuurder gebel. Hy sÍ al die autos maak n fluit geluid in reverse en van dat die auto uitgekom het weet hy nie van een ratkas wat hul moes vervang by hul werkswinkel nie. Hy het baie vertroue in die ratkas. Weet julle van iemand wat ernstige probleme ondervind het? Sien in Australie is van die ratkaste vervang agv die fluit geluit.

Quote Originally Posted by clubbie View Post
    I have a 2014, and it does the same, as does my dad's 2015 model.

Thank you so it is hopefully not a problem. ......

Quote Originally Posted by Loxton View Post
    Hi I bought a 2015 Amarok 8 speed auto with 58000km on clock can someone confirm that the whine wistle sound in reverse is normal? I spoke to dealers and they recon it is normal.
    Dit lyk my amarok is dalk die uitsondering of ek is dalk doof en blind maar ek het myne getoets en daar is geen snaakse klanke.

Quote Originally Posted by clubbie View Post
    Both.

To be fair, I don't think it's the gears. It's more of a whistling noise.
    Torque converter?

Quote Originally Posted by Loxton View Post
    Torque converter?
    I don't know, have never heard a t/converter whistle before.

I have also asked my dealer regarding the "winding" sound when reverse is engaged and the dealer commented that is is perfectly normal for the auto box.

Rok as 76 000 km on the clock now with now gearbox issues at all.
    2017 3.2 Ford Ranger Wildtrak D/C
    Old Man Emu lift kit
    Stofpad Box rocksliders
    Aline Dagger
    BFG KO2 285-75-16
    Stanium aluminium canopy with some goodies and stuff inside
    and loads of attitude

Go check this link, the Amarok ZF 8 speed gearbox is also used in 25 different vehicle's.........
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...peed-15855273/

What box have they put in the v6 Rok?

Maybe a question Marius can help with.
    On what enjin rpm should the ZF 8 go into full lock, this is for the V6?
    I do have a irregular Idle speed. Warm or cold enjin, short drive or long drive, after 15 000 km and first service with agent they do not have a answer.
    The one moment it is 600rpm, next 950rpm, and then you need to hold the horses back at the robot.
    If running on the 950rpm you will have the cooling fan running after shut down, but not if you shut down on 600rpm.
    I am shure there is going to be quite a difference in changing of brake pads, only by feeling the difference in padle pressure need to apply to get it to a standstil.

Can this perhaps be a gearbox setting or idle setting from the computer?

Anything you may think of?

The gearbox locks as needed. Mostly modern vw boxes are fully locked at any rpm from 4th gear onwards.

If the temp rises when doing heavy sandwork, it will lock more and more to drop temps.

It's not a straight answer. The algorithm logic built into the boxes these days are very clever.

If the box sometimes get it wrong and feels a bit dumb, just reset it.

Ignition on but don't start
    Floor the throttle and hold for 15 seconds
    Release throttle fully
    Ignition off and key out

That resets it. Try it. My touareg always feels alive after a reset as I usually drive sedately which makes the box lazy as well.

Dankie, ek gaan dit probeer, sal terugvoer gee.

Quote Originally Posted by Loffie View Post
    Maybe a question Marius can help with.
    On what enjin rpm should the ZF 8 go into full lock, this is for the V6?
    I do have a irregular Idle speed. Warm or cold enjin, short drive or long drive, after 15 000 km and first service with agent they do not have a answer.
    The one moment it is 600rpm, next 950rpm, and then you need to hold the horses back at the robot.
    If running on the 950rpm you will have the cooling fan running after shut down, but not if you shut down on 600rpm.
    I am shure there is going to be quite a difference in changing of brake pads, only by feeling the difference in padle pressure need to apply to get it to a standstil.

Can this perhaps be a gearbox setting or idle setting from the computer?

Anything you may think of?
    I also noticed mine idling at the two different speeds: 600 & 950rpm, and that the fan keeps running for a while when the engine is shut down at 950rpm. I heard several explanations as to why it would do that, but the most plausible explanation so far was that the diesel particle filter needs very high exhaust gas temperatures to regenerate and lifting the rpm is one of the ways to achieve this. This however does not explain why it would raise it to 950rpm straight from a cold start in the morning. If anyone can shed light on this it would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by biltongboer View Post
    I also noticed mine idling at the two different speeds: 600 & 950rpm, and that the fan keeps running for a while when the engine is shut down at 950rpm. I heard several explanations as to why it would do that, but the most plausible explanation so far was that the diesel particle filter needs very high exhaust gas temperatures to regenerate and lifting the rpm is one of the ways to achieve this. This however does not explain why it would raise it to 950rpm straight from a cold start in the morning. If anyone can shed light on this it would be much appreciated.
    If it's cold enough it will raise idle to heat the engine up quicker and to get more exhaust gas temp through the eger cooler which it deploys to aid engine warmup.

AFAIK South African Amaroks do NOT have DPFs. The fan after shutdown may be due to the engine bay temperature sensor (used in the A/C system as well - too hot engine bay = A/C turns off) picking up high temperature and running the fan to prevent heat soak which can boil the coolant. The old citi golfs were well known for this. It may even use the auxiliary coolant pump to circulate coolant as well - the touareg does that sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    The difference between the Amarok and Touareg gearbox

Amarok Gearbox in short

Touareg Gearbox in short

More detailed PDF files attached for both

SHHHHH!!!

Don't tell the Toyota guys that Toyota make a good gearbox, they just don't fit it to a Toyota!

you\ll upset them!

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    SHHHHH!!!

Don't tell the Toyota guys that Toyota make a good gearbox, they just don't fit it to a Toyota!

you\ll upset them!
    Precisely.

Aisin makes them to spec, which means Toyota specs less for their required clients than the germans.

I must say, the V6 petrol land cruiser 200 that took us through the dunes in Dubai a couple of weeks ago had a very smooth Auto box. Don't know if it's good or not but damn it was smooth.

If it's cold enough it will raise idle to heat the engine up quicker and to get more exhaust gas temp through the eger cooler which it deploys to aid engine warmup.

AFAIK South African Amaroks do NOT have DPFs. The fan after shutdown may be due to the engine bay temperature sensor (used in the A/C system as well - too hot engine bay = A/C turns off) picking up high temperature and running the fan to prevent heat soak which can boil the coolant. The old citi golfs were well known for this. It may even use the auxiliary coolant pump to circulate coolant as well - the touareg does that sometimes.
    Thanks for that explanation, it makes sense that raising the revs when cold will help with faster engine warm up.

Regarding the DPF, I was told by the dealer that the V6 does indeed have a DPF due to the fact that it is a EU4-emissions compliant engine. The 2.0 BiTDi (in Southern Africa at least) is specced to EU3 standards, therefore it does not have a DPF.

Quote Originally Posted by biltongboer View Post
    Thanks for that explanation, it makes sense that raising the revs when cold will help with faster engine warm up.

Regarding the DPF, I was told by the dealer that the V6 does indeed have a DPF due to the fact that it is a EU4-emissions compliant engine. The 2.0 BiTDi (in Southern Africa at least) is specced to EU3 standards, therefore it does not have a DPF.
    It may have a catalytic converter but I'd be very surprised if it has a DPF.

Please can you post a video of the dash when you turn the ignition on.

Precisely.

Aisin makes them to spec, which means Toyota specs less for their required clients than the germans.

I must say, the V6 petrol land cruiser 200 that took us through the dunes in Dubai a couple of weeks ago had a very smooth Auto box. Don't know if it's good or not but damn it was smooth.
    Ironic that Toyota owns 30% of Aisin!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

The gearbox locks as needed. Mostly modern vw boxes are fully locked at any rpm from 4th gear onwards.

If the temp rises when doing heavy sandwork, it will lock more and more to drop temps.

It's not a straight answer. The algorithm logic built into the boxes these days are very clever.

If the box sometimes get it wrong and feels a bit dumb, just reset it.

Ignition on but don't start
    Floor the throttle and hold for 15 seconds
    Release throttle fully
    Ignition off and key out

That resets it. Try it. My touareg always feels alive after a reset as I usually drive sedately which makes the box lazy as well.
    Does this with all ZF gearboxes or only with vw ? Never did a reset on my X5's but would like to try it, especially after a long stints driving in eco mode

Quote Originally Posted by Bartho View Post
    Does this with all ZF gearboxes or only with vw ? Never did a reset on my X5's but would like to try it, especially after a long stints driving in eco mode
    Not sure. Let me know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast