Land Rover maintenance in Nairobi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Land Rover maintenance in Nairobi

Hi all,

Does anybody know a reliable workshop in Nairobi for the maintenance of my old Defender ?

Also a place where I can purchase spare parts ?

Cheers..

Eric

Eric

Nairobi, as you no doubt know, is very civilized and there are numerous garages. But some are better than others. Schumachers on the Langata Road in Karen - Www.schuhmacher4x4.com telephone +254 721 486 224 does very good work, but he costs a lot, and he can be irascible. But speak to Nick Foley who is his garage No 2 who is delightful.

Otherwise, CMC used to be the Land Rover dealers in Nairobi - google for contacts - but they are in the Industrial Area which can be a nightmare to get to because of traffic.

Then there is Chequered Flag on Ngong Road in Karen which does good work, apparently.

Nairobi is big on 4x4 vehicles and Land Rovers so, I would say, that Nairobi is better than Arusha for any work you need doing on your Land Rover.

By the way, I am Kenya born and bred and we drove from the UK to Kenya, then on to Cape Town, and back to Kenya from 2013 to 2014.

We too have a black Defender, and we missed you in Malawi. We drive on the right (that is "correct") side....

Cool

Hi,

Thanks for the info, I had alredy heard from the other Nick about Nick Foley working at Schumacher.

Could be quite convenient to me, as well as Checkered Flag, as I intend to spend a couple of days in Karen..

My rig is still in Malawi, I flew back two weeks ago and will be there again by mid-June.

Cheers..

Eric

You will find everything you need in Karen. Let me know if you want any other information on Karen or the greater Nairobi.

Good luck on the drive up from Malawi.

Cool

Thanks !!

Or contact the guys on Facebook-
    Bundurovers
    Should see guys around,I'm up that way soon
    A legend in his own mind

Cool

Hi,

I have 4x4Community stickers at the front and the back of the Landy...

In addition, I just purchased from Dirk three shirts with the logo, so it is quite easy to spot me...

Cheers..

I had a full service done, my front swivel bearings fixed, a fan belt issue id'ed and fixed that had been bugging us before we'd even left Joburg (as well as a bunch of other small, irritating things) on my 10 y/o Defender 110 TD5 at Jungle Junction.

Chris (the owner) is a motorbike man, but his car mechanic, Ben, is an ex Landy dealer mechanic. I'm not technical enough to comment on the quality confidently but i was very happy with the the communication that Ben took me through on the issues, the detail on the invoice, and the speed of repair (including about R4k worth of parts delivery). Everything was completed in just over a day. JJs was incredibly convenient if you are middle-trip - we camped there the first 2 night, moved into a room while the car was on the block. Small things like having a freezer for my frozen stuff since i couldn't charge mine, and the ability to lots of other chores done.

We've just spent a 10 days on some appallingly corrugated roads around Maralal, Laikipia and Marsabit and she's feeling better than ever. I saw 2 other defenders and a Freelander (as well as a couple of Landcruisers in the workshop, and they have a long-term Series 3 on the blocks they are currently working on).

They also have about 10 defenders (amongst myriad other vehicles) in medium term storage, which they start regularly etc.

Edit: they are also (more-or-less) in Karen.

Yours

Matthew
    Last edited by mdegale; 2015/05/18 at 04:04 PM.
    Matthew de Gale
    -----------------------------
    www.hoperoad.co.za
    Neophyte
    Land Rover Defender TD5
    ex Lada Niva 1.6

Quote Originally Posted by mdegale View Post
    I had a full service done, my front swivel bearings fixed, a fan belt issue id'ed and fixed that had been bugging us before we'd even left Joburg (as well as a bunch of other small, irritating things) on my 10 y/o Defender 110 TD5 at Jungle Junction.
    Matthew
    Apologies for brief thread hijack! Matthew, great to see you are back on the road after your Ihaha nastiness. Safari njema!

Cool

Edit: they are also (more-or-less) in Karen.
    Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the info..

In T4A (and Google), they locate JJ in Kongoni Road.

Is it th actual adress, or the old one ?

Cheers..

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Apologies for brief thread hijack!
    Hi Tony,

No worries,

BTW, I cruised last month from Nkhotakota to Likoma Island and back with MV Ilala...Great !!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by eric60260 View Post
    Hi Tony,
    No worries,
    BTW, I cruised last month from Nkhotakota to Likoma Island and back with MV Ilala...Great !!
    Eric
    Great, that is a classic trip - we did it on board the MV Chauncy Maples, which I think has been decommissioned (named after the Anglican Bishop who founded the mission and cathedral on Likoma and drowned in the lake when his boat capsized).
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2015/05/18 at 05:46 PM.

Cool

Great, that is a classic trip - we did it on board the MV Chauncy Maples, which I think has been decommissioned (named after the Anglican Bishop who founded the mission and cathedral on Likoma and drowned in the lake when his boat capsized).
    Hi Tony,

Chauncy Maples has been actually decommissioned, even if some experts say it is in a better shape than MV Ilala (at least the riveting), you can see it in Monkey Bay where it is supposed to be used as a restaurant (??), but I did not see any restaurant activities...

MV Ilala is currently strugling with new Catrpilar engines (probably purchased by the new shareholder - MSC Mediterranean Shipping Company from Portugal -, the engines seem to be to modern and have too much electronics (like my TD5 ?).

Cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by eric60260 View Post
    Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the info..

In T4A (and Google), they locate JJ in Kongoni Road.

Is it th actual adress, or the old one ?

Cheers..
    Thats the correct address. The entrance is fairly discreet but just give a gentle hoot - they had some security problem when they first moved in. The security is pretty seriously upgraded. We're pretty twitchy about campsites after a robbery earlier this year and were very happy there.

Matthew
    Matthew de Gale
    www.hoperoad.co.za
    Neophyte
    Land Rover Defender TD5
    ex Lada Niva 1.6

Apologies for brief thread hijack! Matthew, great to see you are back on the road after your Ihaha nastiness. Safari njema!
    Thanks Tony. Trying to get some pix and country reports done tonight here in Marsabit, before heading to Ethiopia tomorrow; not sure internet will be quite so reliable from then ;-)
    Matthew de Gale
    www.hoperoad.co.za
    Neophyte
    Land Rover Defender TD5
    ex Lada Niva 1.6

Thanks Tony. Trying to get some pix and country reports done tonight here in Marsabit, before heading to Ethiopia tomorrow; not sure internet will be quite so reliable from then ;-)
    Good luck for the road to Moyale - it's a bit of a swine.

Good luck for the road to Moyale - it's a bit of a swine.
    This was posted on the HUBB in April 2015:

I did it about three weeks ago on a 125cc Yamaha. All tarmac except 140km. Coming from Isiolo you'll have 86km of gravel to Marsabit and then another 55km between Marsabit and Moyale. It's very easy, though. I could do most of the gravel in top gear. No mud, no sand, no big rocks. Just a good dirt road.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    This was posted on the HUBB in April 2015:

I did it about three weeks ago on a 125cc Yamaha. All tarmac except 140km. Coming from Isiolo you'll have 86km of gravel to Marsabit and then another 55km between Marsabit and Moyale. It's very easy, though. I could do most of the gravel in top gear. No mud, no sand, no big rocks. Just a good dirt road.
    Thanks. In fact the 86km to Marsabit is down to perhaps 70km - there's a new 15km that s not officially open, but decidedly in use. As that post mentioned the Marsabit -Moyale stretch (per some Southward-bearing travellers we met in Marsabit) also sounds mostly tarred: will confirm later today.

Matthew
    Matthew de Gale
    www.hoperoad.co.za
    Neophyte
    Land Rover Defender TD5
    ex Lada Niva 1.6

Thanks. In fact the 86km to Marsabit is down to perhaps 70km - there's a new 15km that s not officially open, but decidedly in use. As that post mentioned the Marsabit -Moyale stretch (per some Southward-bearing travellers we met in Marsabit) also sounds mostly tarred: will confirm later today.
    Matthew
    That's good news - the road building was suspended for a while because of shifta (possibly Al Shabab) attacks on the Chinese road camps.

That's good news - the road building was suspended for a while because of shifta (possibly Al Shabab) attacks on the Chinese road camps.
    Both sections are active; the chinese part - north of Marsabit - vastly more so than the turkish-led isiolo-marsabit section. The large chinese mines before Moyale probably accounrd for the difference in enthusiasm...
    Matthew de Gale
    www.hoperoad.co.za
    Neophyte
    Land Rover Defender TD5
    ex Lada Niva 1.6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast