whisky lovers... - Page 5

Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 30 ... LastLast

Talking about value for money.... Alex mentioned Laphroaig Quarter Cask earlier in the thread. It's also among my favourites and still on special at our Checkers for R449 for a gift set with two glasses....
    '12 JK Unlimited Rubicon
    2" EFS suspension lift + some extras...

Quote Originally Posted by Nico-MAD View Post
    Mic you are right. Most of the very expensive whiskey's are overrated. The only expensive whiskey I really enjoy is the JW double black. I normally send a hint out to my son and invite him for a braai, and 9 out of 10 he brings a bottle with. Otherwise the cheaper whisky's taste fine to me.
    Nico
    I've heard that it is the best JW. I'll make a point of trying it. JW green isn't too bad but again, for the price, there are better options.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D
    Every statement I make comes with the proviso that I don't know what i'm talking about.
    “It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” – Hugh Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by mic_zw View Post
    I've heard that it is the best JW. I'll make a point of trying it. JW green isn't too bad but again, for the price, there are better options.

The best of Johnny walker is the red - eyes closed test you'd pick it over the rest of them anytime.

It's okay in morning coffee, but , frankly, for the money , you can get far better coffee additives.

Johnny walker is a lot like McDonald's . Proof that good marketing will convince a large part of the populace that a dog turd onna bun is a good meal...

Quote Originally Posted by NatalJeep View Post
    Talking about value for money.... Alex mentioned Laphroaig Quarter Cask earlier in the thread. It's also among my favourites and still on special at our Checkers for R449 for a gift set with two glasses....
    Freaking.... I am going to the closest checkers liquor store in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by JohanHaarhoff View Post
    Freaking.... I am going to the closest checkers liquor store in the morning!

Will be checking that out myself in the morning!

3 bottles of that's the case...

I hope you had your whisky... No worries though - it's weekend!
    You bet Mic. I rather had some single malt...I tend to enjoy and appreciate it more after a taxing day and run of the mill whisky/wine/whatever works better if I'm in a lighter mood.
    Anyway, had some Abelour A'bunadh - Batch 44. At 59.7% alc/vol, you need to add a splash of water, relaxes the whisky a bit...
    If at first you do succeed, don't look too surprised.

What an awesome thread!

Two whiskeys I "can't" drink, well I guess I can but prefer not to.

Standard J&B - I'm sure you can run a Diesel Truck on it.
    Johnny Red - No thanks, Pass!

But then again I do enjoy JW Black and Double Black as an everyday blend, but agree with the majority of the posters that there are MUCH better whiskeys in the same price class. Especially like Bains.

Jura Superstition and most of the Jura series - wow, what an awesome light peaty taste with some honey. Love that stuff.

If you had to choose ONE whiskey right now for the rest of your life, what will you choose?

For me, without a doubt.........TALISKER!
    "THE PURPOSE OF LIVE IS TO BE HAPPY ." DALAI LAMA
    Rob
    Toyota Hilux Legend 45 3.0 D-4D DC 4x4
    VW Cross Polo 1.6 TDI (Swambo's car)
    Conqueror Companion II
    Harley Davidson Dyna FATBOB

What is single malt and double malt? And Jamieson - three times distilled? Or something like that? Please educate me!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    What is single malt and double malt? And Jamieson - three times distilled? Or something like that? Please educate me!
    Basically single malt isn't mixed with any other malt & comes from the same crop of grain, then distilled at one distillery. It's just purer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    Single Malt
    "single" = all the whiskies used in making it came from one distillery
    "malt" = malted barley (as opposed to other grains that are also used to make whiskies)

Jamesons is an irish whiskEY not a scotch whiskY (note the spelling differences!). Irish whiskies taste a little different and use a different type of still to make the spirit. (Other than that I don't know)

"Blend" is the most common type of scotch whisky. It means many whiskies from different distilleries were blended to make the consistent taste of that brand. Both malt whiskies and other non-barley "grain" whiskies are used to make a "blend".

That is why "single malts" and "blends" are the two most common categorisations of SCOTCH whisky.

That is scotch whisky (the best type of whisky IMO!)
    There are other types of whiskies such as irish, bourbon, rye, Tennessee... But the best is of course - scotch.

Watch this video, it's very good:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzHabXqOBA0
    Last edited by mic_zw; 2015/06/21 at 04:22 PM.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D
    Every statement I make comes with the proviso that I don't know what i'm talking about.
    “It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” – Hugh Laurie

Jamesons is an irish whiskEY not a scotch whiskY (note the spelling differences!). Irish whiskies taste a little different and use a different type of still to make the spirit. (Other than that I don't know)
    Generally (as far as I know), Irish whiskey also tends to be triple distilled. Scotch, more often than not, is only distilled twice.

Most underrated and best value whisky for under R200 a bottle.

Any suggestions for a better whisky under R200?

Teachers claims to have the highest SM content of any blend. Quite a claim.

Teacher's Highland Cream is a brand of blended scotch whisky produced in Glasgow by Beam Suntory, the American subsidiary of Suntory Holdings of Osaka, Japan. Teacher's Highland Cream blend was registered in 1884. Teacher's uses over 45% single malt, with Ardmore single malt being the main Scotch in its blend, to make Teacher's Highland Cream blended Scotch. It also uses over 30 different single malt whiskies.

You can certainly taste the peat but it ain't a peat monster.

Best of the under R200s in my book.
    Maybe ever best of the under R300s...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

Default Japs

Teacher's Highland Cream is a brand of blended scotch whisky produced in Glasgow by Beam Suntory, the American subsidiary of Suntory Holdings of Osaka, Japan. Teacher's Highland Cream blend was registered in 1884. Teacher's uses over 45% single malt, with Ardmore single malt being the main Scotch in its blend, to make Teacher's Highland Cream blended Scotch. It also uses over 30 different single malt whiskies.

If the Japs are involved it's gold! They have a certain dedication to their craft. Even if having adopted a previously defunct Scotch distillery like the Tomatin whisky's
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomatin_distillery

and this is on the birth of Jap whisky:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...iness-30682239

obvioulsy I'm a fan
    Swambo: 2.0l Tucson Gls (sold)

Default 3 Ships

Loving this thread.

Anyone tried 3 ships Single Malt?
    Swambo: 2.0l Tucson Gls (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Telfred View Post
    Loving this thread.

Anyone tried 3 ships Single Malt?
    Heard about it, never got my hands on a bottle... Yet...

Ive tried Three Ships but no go.
    Then a month ago I opened this model.
    Think I can live with it thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Quote Originally Posted by Damdan View Post
    Ive tried Three Ships but no go.
    Then a month ago I opened this model.
    Think I can live with it thank you.
    5yo is my favorite cheapie. Not that it tastes cheap. I'll drink it any day, every day.

Quote Originally Posted by NatalJeep View Post
    Went to Checkers on Monday and they only had one left @ R599. Took it, but had to hand it over to the geologist here on the mine. Wish there was another one as I would love to have 2 glasses from my favorite. He also took possession of the 10yo.

My dad was given JW Blue from work when he retired. He doesn't drink whisky so naturally he gave it to me! So I was in two minds... On one hand I would never buy the stuff myself as it's close to R2k a bottle and it is marketed at top notch stuff, so maybe I should just enjoy it and drink it! On the udder hand I could sell the unopened bottle plus packaging - unopened of course - probably for R1200!

Well, I was going for option 2 when a mate got engaged... So we decided to celebrate with the JW Blue. Just a drink or two. Then I could finish it slowly over time... MISTAKE

I should have sold it. This has got to be the most overrated whisky ever. There are R300 whiskies better than this blend. And most single malts are better than this ridiculously expensive blend! Disappointing to say the least. Shows you what marketing can do. Stupid Johnnie Walker. Stupid consumers.

And Ralfy's opinion:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxg5jHSQJAM
    Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about Blue. Had it twice in my life, the second time I put Coke in with it. Did not even feel guilty about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Farquart View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about Blue. Had it twice in my life, the second time I put Coke in with it. Did not even feel guilty about it.
    As long as we're not stupid enough to buy the stuff!
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 30 ... LastLast