whisky lovers... - Page 4

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 29 ... LastLast

And here he is reviewing our very own Bain's! Hear what he has to say about it...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcW9qqnhvA8
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D
    Every statement I make comes with the proviso that I don't know what i'm talking about.
    “It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” – Hugh Laurie

You gotta watch that more than once ☺
    4x4 less.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1 View Post
    You gotta watch that more than once ☺
    Just poured the last drop! Tx James Sedgewick!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D
    Every statement I make comes with the proviso that I don't know what i'm talking about.
    “It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” – Hugh Laurie

Great thread...

I am currently awaiting the delivery of one of these for Fathers Day:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1434693872554.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	352139

I'm a bit of a "peat freak" and have only Islay whiskies in my whisky cupboard... It's not a collection as they are there for drinking.
    '12 JK Unlimited Rubicon
    2" EFS suspension lift + some extras...

Quote Originally Posted by mic_zw View Post
    Just poured the last drop! Tx James Sedgewick!
    BAIN'S and 3 Ships..... Both world class award winning stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NatalJeep View Post
    Great thread...

I'm a bit of a "peat freak" and have only Islay whiskies in my whisky cupboard... It's not a collection as they are there for drinking.
    Nice
    I like islays too but also like others.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    BAIN'S and 3 Ships..... Both world class award winning stuff.
    They win in a rather niche category of whiskies - being "grain whisky", i.e. there is no barley used so it is not a "malt" whisky.
    That means they don't compete with most of the scotches. That being said - they are lovely whiskies and something SA can be proud of!
    Last edited by mic_zw; 2015/06/19 at 06:16 PM.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

Great thread...

nice!

I love my Peaty ones too..... I hope I'm that loved for Father's day!

Quote Originally Posted by fastesthamster View Post
    I bought the J&B Jet, R250, recommended. Also got a bottle of Bains for R190.
    Thats a good price, J&B Jet is one of my favourites. In its price class...

Quote Originally Posted by ELU View Post
    As matter of interest, prior to leaving for Botswana/Namibia (beginning May '15), Checkers had J&B 750 ml on special for R129.99 per bottle!!
    In Namutoni rest Camp in Etosha, the J&B 750 ml was labelled on 'special' for Nam$ 385!!! Equivalent to R 385!! Okaukuejo rest camp shelf price was Nam$ 305!!!
    Grootfontein had same for R139.99 on normal shelf price!!!
    Fortunately we carried our own stock with us!!
    I like J&B, it got bite, puts hear on your chest. Especially when on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Harry OpieTremspoor View Post
    I might be wrong but I read between the lines from some responses appear to be a thing of "do you really drink that ?"

Everybody drinks according to what he/she prefer and can afford and ...
    some, if not all, can learn from this thread.
    +100

Quote Originally Posted by clubbie View Post
    Haha, same for me.

Glenlivet was always my default single malt, until I tasted Macallan.
    I enjoyed a bottle of Glenlivet last week on our hunting trip, baie lekker.
    Last edited by Tracker; 2015/06/19 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mic_zw View Post
    They win in a rather niche category of whiskies - being "grain whisky", i.e. there is no barley used so it is not a "malt" whisky.
    That means they don't compete with most of the scotches. That being said - they are lovely whiskies and something SA can be proud of!
    You should try 3 Ships 5yo - in a blind taste test it actually holds its own against some serious blended malts...
    '12 JK Unlimited Rubicon

You should try 3 Ships 5yo - in a blind taste test it actually holds its own against some serious blended malts...
    That is their best.
    I haven't tasted it in a long time. I'll pick one up.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

Even a real shyte whisky will taste fantastic right now.
    Long day...
    If at first you do succeed, don't look too surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Boesmanland View Post
    Even a real shyte whisky will taste fantastic right now.
    Long day...
    I hope you had your whisky... No worries though - it's weekend!
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

My dad was given JW Blue from work when he retired. He doesn't drink whisky so naturally he gave it to me! So I was in two minds... On one hand I would never buy the stuff myself as it's close to R2k a bottle and it is marketed at top notch stuff, so maybe I should just enjoy it and drink it! On the udder hand I could sell the unopened bottle plus packaging - unopened of course - probably for R1200!

Well, I was going for option 2 when a mate got engaged... So we decided to celebrate with the JW Blue. Just a drink or two. Then I could finish it slowly over time... MISTAKE

I should have sold it. This has got to be the most overrated whisky ever. There are R300 whiskies better than this blend. And most single malts are better than this ridiculously expensive blend! Disappointing to say the least. Shows you what marketing can do. Stupid Johnnie Walker. Stupid consumers.

And Ralfy's opinion:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxg5jHSQJAM
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

A famous whisky commentator once said:

"Unfortunately for many it is not a case of the message IN the bottle that matters, but the message ON the bottle, ON the label... That is what they're buying. It's not about the contents."
    "Relatively few, maybe 1 in 10, drinks whisky to really enjoy the flavour. 9 in 10 drink whisky just to celebrate their triumphs or commiserate in their sorrows..."

And he's right. Absolutely right.

This thread is about the 1 in 10.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

I could swear under oath that you lot are from Scotland!!

Nice thread and a nice informative read too.

Those folks in the south near Wellington, will attest to what a nice quaff you get if you stop at the traffic light next to the distillery and see the casks aging and releasing the angel's share.

Mic you are right. Most of the very expensive whiskey's are overrated. The only expensive whiskey I really enjoy is the JW double black. I normally send a hint out to my son and invite him for a braai, and 9 out of 10 he brings a bottle with. Otherwise the cheaper whisky's taste fine to me.
    Nico
    Fortuner 4.0 V6
    Ford Transit Panelvan(Modern version of the Passion Wagon)
    AG 388
    NEVER GIVE UP !

Unfortunately most people are only unterested in the age statement on the label rather than the taste... some of my favourites are between 5 and 10 years. That is when the phenols that impart the most distinct taste are at their highest...
    Last edited by NatalJeep; 2015/06/20 at 11:44 AM.
    '12 JK Unlimited Rubicon

I have a bottle of Shivas royal salute 21yo, same price as the jw blue. It is very nice and smooth and not imho all that much character.... I am in different moods different days, but when you want something smooth and relaxing you can get very nice stuff for around R400, and worth the money for half that.

I got a 1l bottle of Jura Superstition, no idea what it costs but boy it is good. Light peat with almost a hint of honey...

For those who like Irish, I see pnp strawberry lane (Brooklyn Pretoria) has Kilbeggan for R140, i think they normally go for R200. Had some and it is quite agreeable

Quote Originally Posted by JohanHaarhoff View Post
    I have a bottle of Shivas royal salute 21yo, same price as the jw blue. It is very nice and smooth and not imho all that much character.... I am in different moods different days, but when you want something smooth and relaxing you can get very nice stuff for around R400, and worth the money for half that.

I got a 1l bottle of Jura Superstition, no idea what it costs but boy it is good. Light peat with almost a hint of honey...

For those who like Irish, I see pnp strawberry lane (Brooklyn Pretoria) has Kilbeggan for R140, i think they normally go for R200. Had some and it is quite agreeable
    R400.00 can buy some very nice whisky indeed. If I'm not mistaken, you can currently get the Glenlivet 12 in a nice gift box with two 50ml bottles of the Glenlivet 18 for roundabout R400.00 at Makro.

On that note, has anyone tried the Glenfiddich Rich Oak 14 YO? I'm tempted.

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 29 ... LastLast