My "new" Landy, with saga attached

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My "new" Landy, with saga attached

Hi everyone

This is just me officially introducing myself to the Landy side of the forum. You might have seen some of my posts on the Nissan section.

A 300 Tdi "found" me just about 2 months ago (17 March). I told myself that if ever the right Landy came along, I would buy it - otherwise I'd continue driving my trusty old Sani, who I still stop and pat on the nose (bonnet?) every time I pass him...

Here's a photo - actually the only photo I've been able to take so far...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Landy on a lowbed truck? Plenty such photos!

Enjoy your Land Rover!
    Last edited by Chris Stoffel; 2015/05/14 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    Landy on a lowbed truck? Plenty such photos!

Enjoy your Land Rover!
    Thanks Chris Stoffel...

It all started on a normal Tuesday morning. I had my cup of coffee and checked out the Forum before beginning the day's work. There, in a little thumbnail in the corner somewhere, was a little "recently posted" pic showing the Landy for sale.

I usually check out any 300 Tdi Disco for sale, drool over it a bit, then heave a sigh and close the webpage. Too expensive to maintain, unreliable, who knows where it's been, etc.

But this one belonged to someone I've met before! I've been following its progress since he bought it about six years ago, both on the Mercedes forum and here. I know its history, have seen all that's been done to the car - plus, I know from following his posts that he is absolutely meticulous about looking after his cars. Jobs are always done thoroughly, no shortcuts are taken, and he believes in that cornerstone of reliability revered amongst engineers - PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE!!!

Just to keep protocol, I won't mention his name directly here, rather giving him the chance to "chip in" as and when he likes...

Needless to say, I phoned immediately and bought the Landy on the spot. As if in a dream, I drifted over to my computer to send some mails and make arrangements to get it here...

What made this one even more attractive was that a brand new Remtec engine had just been fitted by LandyWorx by the previous owner (PO), in December 2014. The motor had only just been run in! So, effectively, I was getting a brand new 300 Tdi! You can't get more reliable than that... a brand new chance to start off with a new motor, turbo, etc... and pamper it, give it good oil, never over-rev it, never over-heat it, always check the EGT's, always idle it down... with the amount of mileage I do, this could last a lifetime! Was I excited...

Unfortunately, into every life some rain must fall...

On about 20 Feb 2015, just before its 1500 km run-in service, the Landy had to be flat-bedded into LandyWorx. There were some Welsh plug issues that had to be sorted on the new motor...

So, on 20 March, after I bought the car, the work was finally done and the car ready to be delivered to its new owner - ME! The PO collected it from the workshop, took it for a RWC, fitted all the extras and delivered it to my parents' house in Midrand - the start of a new journey! I immediately received SMS's from my mom, telling me how nice the car was... Man, was I excited to get this car...

I arranged with my parents to have them drive the car through to me in Modjadjiskloof, about 400 km away. I live in a lovely part of RSA, the scenery is amazing and the weather mild. So, they were going to drive through in the Landy, enjoy a few days' holiday with me, and then I would take them back home as I was going that way in a few days anyway.

The car has a LBB fitted, plus cylinder head temperature gauge. I issued stern warnings about never exceeding 100 km/h, idling it down, driving with one eye on the gauge and one ear on the LBB, not engaging diff lock, etc. I trust my dad fully with any of my vehicles. But I would not normally ask them to do something like this when I don't know the car - but then, it's only just left the workshop, how bad can it be? What could really go wrong?

The journey began on Tuesday 26 March. They pointed the Landy's nose north and chugged along, bringing it ever closer to its new home. I phoned every now and then to check on the progress, and could hear the lovely 300 Tdi humming softly in the background.

Then, at around 12:30 PM, came the phone call. No 300 Tdi soundtrack to accompany my dad's voice, just a very hesitant, "Er, we have a bit of a problem."

They had stopped at Kranskop, had a quick bite to eat and a check under the bonnet, then continued the journey. Some half an hour later, the gentle clatter of the Tdi was replaced by a bearing knock. Remembering my warnings regarding any problems, they immediately pulled over and stopped the engine. Luckily the N1 at that point has a good, wide shoulder and they were able to pull quickly and fully off the road. As the RPM dropped to idle, the LBB started screaming and they shut the engine off immediately.

Their first call was to the PO, who assisted in every way possible. Providing numbers, making phone calls, even getting ready to come out himself and retrieve the stranded parents. Then LandyWorx, who advised them to get the AA to tow the car straight back to the workshop. They also agreed to reimburse the towing costs. Then me - I advised my parents to keep a lookout for any sinister fellow-countrymen, and to wait for the AA, update me every now and then, etc. Luckily it's a safe place to stand...

Meanwhile, I abandoned my class of disappointed Grade 9's (they were going to get their test results!) and drove pedal-to-the-metal (or pedal-to-the-carpet anyway) in my old W115 Mercedes (clearly more trustworthy than a LR ) to meet my parents, 200 km away.

A couple of very stressful hours later, more so because my car didn't have a working alternator at that point, I saw the stranded white D1 on the side of the N1. I pulled up behind it, and found my parents inside, sipping Liqui-Fruit and chomping sandwiches. Luckily they had brought a picnic (and a LOT of extra water, as per my instructions!). Although composed, they were very hot and had the windows nearly closed - this is RSA after all. The weather was sweltering, and I felt very guilty for being responsible for all this...

(side note: is this a life lesson? - always pack a picnic when you go somewhere in a Landy, you never know when you'll need it...)

About the same time, the flatbed arrived and the Landy was loaded up. Addresses were given (the towtruck driver didn't have a GPS!), the photograph taken (see first post above), and the Landy left back in the direction whence it came.

Ironically, not a single person stopped to offer assistance during the whole time. However, after the Landy had left, someone stopped to ask if we needed help with the old Mercedes!

We drove to Modjadjiskloof in the Merc, without an alternator, and without incident. The battery charge lasted the full 400 km!

Hope you get everything sorted out!

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    Meanwhile, I abandoned my class of disappointed Grade 9's (they were going to get their test results!)
    P.S. Glad to see I'm not the only teacher on the forum....
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Sounds as though you have bought a good one there! Look forward to the rest of the story.

John

Quote Originally Posted by zimreef View Post
    Sounds as though you have bought a good one there! Look forward to the rest of the story.

John
    Thanks John. Get a cup of your favourite beverage and read on...

Now for some questions. All comments welcome.

Remtec will be re-remanufacturing the engine, as they do not keep the 300 Tdi in stock and this would be the quickest solution. Another advantage is that we don't need to do police clearance AGAIN.

By the way, this is a 16L motor. The original was 20L (see a separate thread).

I presume the remanufacturing will mean that they start again with a bare block and replace EVERYTHING. After all, that is what the PO paid for, and he paid a LOT of money, trust me I've seen the invoice... We didn't pay for a second-hand motor!

HGBosch and others, do you think they will re-use the old head? What is the risk involved here? Do they need to replace it completely? There was no over-heating, just bearing damage due to the oil pressure. So probably block, cam, etc. damage. Hope they replace these?

Quite an intro to Landy.

Wish you the best for the future, keep us updated.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

Yes, Deon, it is dramatic to say the least.

Coming from a reliable old Sani which has done 200 000 km without letting us down once, and having to go and "rescue" the Landy with a 42-year old Merc, does not exactly inspire confidence. Especially when my whole family, office and friends started with the Landy jokes before I even made the payment...

Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post
    Quite an intro to Landy.

Wish you the best for the future, keep us updated.
    Last edited by antvz; 2015/05/14 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Speling erors and typoes

Ant

Dont speculate what they are going to do - ask them

Was a new crank fitted ??

As I understand it the oil pump is driven by a lobe on the front of the crank. Many years ago my lobe had worn to such an extent that the oil pump was no longer operating to spec.

I think its a bit like sending an overdone steak back to the kitchen to be cooked to medium rare again. But we dont know what remtech charged for on the original invoice

Ross

This is karma for having abondoned a Sani.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    This is karma for having abondoned a Sani.
    Agreed, and I still feel terrible every time I walk past my Sani. He was my pride and joy and we've had many adventures together... I also KNOW exactly what I've replaced, what works, and how the car should function. It's just that fuel consumption, seating availability and that *%#@%$* IFS put together have been putting enough pressure to get me to bring the road to an end...

But this Tdi fills the gap nicely, as similar work i.t.o. preventative maintenance has been done. That is why I decided to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    Agreed, and I still feel terrible every time I walk past my Sani. He was my pride and joy and we've had many adventures together... I also KNOW exactly what I've replaced, what works, and how the car should function. It's just that fuel consumption, seating availability and that *%#@%$* IFS put together have been putting enough pressure to get me to bring the road to an end...

But this Tdi fills the gap nicely, as similar work i.t.o. preventative maintenance has been done. That is why I decided to buy it.

Should have converted to TD27 (R15k), would have paid itself off.
    IFS: SFA is the solution if done properly.

So sell the Sani.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Should have converted to TD27 (R15k), would have paid itself off.
    IFS: SFA is the solution if done properly.

So sell the Sani.
    Yip, had considered the TD27 at the time...

Fact of the matter is, no matter what you do to the Sani, it's still a Sani. Disco comfort and ability is just in another league, plus 7-seater, plus just the whole shape of a Disco 1 or 2 just does it for me, AND the support of the community is awesome.

Sani will be for sale when it's properly sorted - still need to finish with the heads...

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Ant

Dont speculate what they are going to do - ask them

Was a new crank fitted ??

As I understand it the oil pump is driven by a lobe on the front of the crank. Many years ago my lobe had worn to such an extent that the oil pump was no longer operating to spec.

I think its a bit like sending an overdone steak back to the kitchen to be cooked to medium rare again. But we dont know what remtech charged for on the original invoice

Ross
    RossJ, you do have a good point here.

I need to find out who to ask exactly. LandyWorx is handling it fully - back in December, the PO sent this car to them for the engine replacement. LandyWorx obtained a remanufactured engine from Remtec (did not have the old engine remanufactured). This cost almost R30 000. Fitting was another almost R18 000 if my memory serves me right (a small amount of this amount was also labour for fixing a transfer box leak, but that could only have been an hour or so.

The full reman engine was ordered by them from Remtec - they made this clear to me over the phone that the new engine included an oil pump. In other words, the brand new oil pump failed. This means that someone slipped up somewhere when remanufacturing the motor.

I don't want to speculate on why/how the oil pump failed so quickly, though. No doubt Remtec will advise at some point. The point is that they are honouring the warranty and "re-remanufacturing" the engine as far as I know. If they only fix the broken bearings, I will be very upset and will take the issue further and report here.

I will also report back regularly as to the lifespan of this motor. If it fails in a years' time or after the warranty expires, this forum will also get to hear about it.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast