My "new" Landy, with saga attached - Page 18

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

I have no idea bud. I can see someone worked on the enjin. Silicon all over. But no sump compession. I love this tdi. Dont miss the v8 as much.
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 1 V8i
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

New parts arrived. Feel like a kid at Christmas even though all grudge purchases.

Steering damper, indicator lenses, egt gauge, headlight lens, front Propshaft bolts

Good man. I need a egt
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 1 V8i
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Default Re: My "new" Landy, with saga attached

Well, as some of you guys saw on the "What did you do with your Discovery today?" thread, I lost the engine earlier this week. It put a conrod through the block (no. 3 piston). I don't know why yet. So I got about 85 000 km on this engine. The injectors were new at the time of the engine replacement, and the pump overhauled and calibrated.

I'll start stripping it at some stage soon, and then post some photos. There's a lot of stuff I'm curious about here:

- condition of main and big end bearings: fully synthetic oil; oil pressure generally OK but the max pressure was too low at higher temperatures. This is a tricky one since the oil pressure would read "normal" during a bench test but drops in "real life" conditions as the engine heats up. I suspect the clearance rear timing cover-to oil pump gears was too great. Since the timing belt always ran out of alignment I presume that the rear timing cover was one of the pre-recall units (very old ones) so probably worn out of spec.

- the conrod through the block has broken off at the bolt holes that attach to big end bearings. Was it a bearing failure? I will investigate.

- the engine spent most of its life running on 50 ppm and when at home I filled up at the same garage all the time (say 50% of fills). As I say, new injectors and Bosch workshop overhauled pump. Standard timing. Standard pump settings except for about 5 000 km when I had the boost diaphragm a bit turned. Once I pull the head we'll be able to see the carbon build-up and get an idea whether the standard pump settings are conservative enough to prevent the engine getting sooty.

- after service, the engine generally drank about 1l of oil during the first 1000-2000 km. Then usually didn't need topping up until the service. Let's see what the bores look like and whether there is any scuffing of pistons. Engine usually ran very nicely, quiet for a Tdi and good compression since she started in under 1 second even at 0 deg C in Lesotho and didn't run roughly even when ice cold.

I'm going to use this scrapped block to learn more about the layout of the cam and the valve timing system of this engine.

Inspection of the inside of the bores is not usually done in this way! :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Looks like Conrod big end bolt snapped did they use new ones could of been over stretched depending how many times have been used
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

On the beach in Ramsgate But unfortunately paying the bills in Bellville CT

Tdi300 engine does this due to over fueling - diesel washes the oil from the bearings causing this

Quote Originally Posted by Witblitz View Post
    Tdi300 engine does this due to over fueling - diesel washes the oil from the bearings causing this
    Piston seizes to the bore and the conrod has to make its own plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Piston seizes to the bore and the conrod has to make its own plan?
    I suppose I'll know the answer to this once I've determined the reason for the failure. I'll be able to see whether the bearing seized or not.

For me personally this is a great disappointment since the engine was just settling in nicely! 85 000 km and oil usage was decent, power acceptable and economy was great. There are very few engines out there with the collective advantages of the 300 Tdi in an offroad/out-of-RSA tourer and I'll definitely be repairing. My only other option is to sell up and start a similar journey on a Toyota KZTE, but then it's a whole new learning curve and I've learnt a lot about this Land Rover thing now.

I have been following this thread since the beginning and am really sorry about this!
    Sterkte with the decisions on which way to go forward.
    Guillaume
    Guillaume
    Fortuner Epic 4.0 V6 AT

Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume View Post
    I have been following this thread since the beginning and am really sorry about this!
    Sterkte with the decisions on which way to go forward.
    Guillaume
    Thanks for the encouragement. As you know, nothing is ever simple with a Landy!

I have a couple of options here.
    - 2nd hand complete engine
    - recon "short block" from Acrotek
    - get a spare block and rebuild it all

Easiest is the complete engine. Acrotek: I will find out what type of pistons they use. If it's a good quality rebuild, this might be the way to go.

Rebuilding it myself starting with a bare block is also an option. I'll be opening my engine soon and checking the brand of the pistons and also the state of the camshaft. If they are KS pistons I can perhaps salvage them and rebuild. According to the info I was given at the last rebuild, they are first oversize. Originally the block was resleeved but then someone didn't communicate something and they ended up with block sleeved to standard and first oversize pistons supplied, so they bored out the sleeving to first oversize.

I know there are good rebuilders out there but I'm tempted to do this one myself as a learning experience.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Antz

My 2c is that the connection from conrod to piston has let go. In my case also with a recon motor from that unmentionable crowd in PE it was 3 pistons that had this. Lucky I caught it in time so the conrod hadnt let go of the piston completely

2.5 days and about 15 k later I continued on my way out of Windhoek and completed the koakveld trip I had planned - just had to cut out the section to the cunene river to be back on schedule

Like you said you cant get rid of family so I really hope you fix her

Hi antvz....have not seen much from you lately, but I don't visit the forum as often as I should.Well what can I say....that is about the worst possible thing you could have to go wrong, and I must say that mechanically your normally bullet proof 300tdi has certainly given you some grief.With all the "meticulous" remedial work you have had done on that engine, one cannot help but wonder just how "meticulous" was some of the work performed.My feeling is, that with nearly all of todays vehicles having critical torque strain applied to such retaining bolts as cylinder head, big ends, main bearings etc., these bolts should be strictly one use only.With a tightening procedure requiring initially a torque wrench followed by angular rotation on the bolt it is just too easy to apply that "little extra nip" which could strain the bolt beyond its elastic limit. At this point its tensile strength has been compromised and failure is not a matter of "if" but "when".I noticed on the "what have you done" thread what looks to be a very good offer for a replacement, however is there a possibility you could obtain one of the Brazil built 2.8l. International engines. I believe they have a very good reputation.It would be a shame to have to discard a vehicle to which you originally so much looked forward to owning, and during its happier moments, so much pleasure in driving.I look forward to further reports from you regarding the outcome.mike (boobook in ozz)
    Disco 1 300tdi 1997
    Land Cruiser hzj75 1997
    Landy trayback s111 1976

Sorry Antz... Just like the legals do, my post was all compressed up. Tried to edit to make sense but the system refused my attempts.Hope it makes sense to you??mike
    Disco 1 300tdi 1997
    Land Cruiser hzj75 1997
    Landy trayback s111 1976

Quote Originally Posted by boobook View Post
    Sorry Antz... Just like the legals do, my post was all compressed up. Tried to edit to make sense but the system refused my attempts.Hope it makes sense to you??mike
    Hi boobook

You haven't seen much of me lately because my posts have mainly been about enjoying my awesome landy, nicknamed La(n)dy, and not griping on this thread. These are temporary setbacks and will soon be sorted, I just need to save a whole lot of money for the rebuild!
    Last edited by antvz; 2019/02/11 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    Well, as some of you guys saw on the "What did you do with your Discovery today?" thread, I lost the engine earlier this week. It put a conrod through the block (no. 3 piston). I don't know why yet. So I got about 85 000 km on this engine. The injectors were new at the time of the engine replacement, and the pump overhauled and calibrated.

I'll start stripping it at some stage soon, and then post some photos. There's a lot of stuff I'm curious about here:

- condition of main and big end bearings: fully synthetic oil; oil pressure generally OK but the max pressure was too low at higher temperatures. This is a tricky one since the oil pressure would read "normal" during a bench test but drops in "real life" conditions as the engine heats up. I suspect the clearance rear timing cover-to oil pump gears was too great. Since the timing belt always ran out of alignment I presume that the rear timing cover was one of the pre-recall units (very old ones) so probably worn out of spec.

- the conrod through the block has broken off at the bolt holes that attach to big end bearings. Was it a bearing failure? I will investigate.

- the engine spent most of its life running on 50 ppm and when at home I filled up at the same garage all the time (say 50% of fills). As I say, new injectors and Bosch workshop overhauled pump. Standard timing. Standard pump settings except for about 5 000 km when I had the boost diaphragm a bit turned. Once I pull the head we'll be able to see the carbon build-up and get an idea whether the standard pump settings are conservative enough to prevent the engine getting sooty.

- after service, the engine generally drank about 1l of oil during the first 1000-2000 km. Then usually didn't need topping up until the service. Let's see what the bores look like and whether there is any scuffing of pistons. Engine usually ran very nicely, quiet for a Tdi and good compression since she started in under 1 second even at 0 deg C in Lesotho and didn't run roughly even when ice cold.

I'm going to use this scrapped block to learn more about the layout of the cam and the valve timing system of this engine.
    A bit more than a year later... and I finally have the engine out and stripped.

... thanks to a lot of tips on this forum and the internet in general (plus the workshop manual!) I took the engine out last weekend. The aim was to completely strip this engine and determine the cause of failure - and then use some of the parts to rebuild the engine in my other Tdi (this one has been scrapped).

First observation: it's a heavy bugger of an engine! The car sits with its nose in the air now that it's been removed!

Here are some pics of the bores. Other than a bit of light scoring in places, they are still very nice after about 100 000 km. This engine was only just beginning to be run in. Another observation, as you will see, is the very small amount of carbon on the piston tops. It was running nicely, not heavy on oil or over-fuelling in any way. It was run mostly on 50 ppm, except for the very occasional deviation from this. Oil changes with synthetic oil were 10 000 km.

An interesting observation is that some piston tops are dry and grey, others much more oily on top. So perhaps not all cylinders had bedded-in with equal effectiveness, and that's why I had slightly higher than normal oil consumption. Perhaps I was too gentle during running-in; will keep this in mind for my next rebuild.

Here are some pics...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

The conrod broke just around the big end bearing. The crank shaft is scrap - the journal has been flattened in one place, presumably due to an impact when things went flying around.

There are nice valve imprints on the piston crown of no.2 (the one that failed) - I presume the piston shot up with nothing to restrain it and bounced against the valves (no pushrods are bent). There are also very light valve imprints on the tops of the other piston crowns, so it seems that valves were hitting pistons. I didn't measure piston protrusion, but it looks a bit excessive (and there was already a zero-hole gasket fitted) so perhaps this block has been decked a bit in the past. Perhaps it would have been better to slightly skim the piston tops in such a case, and fit a thinner gasket rather?

I need to get the correct Euro socket to undo the big-end and main bearing cap bolts.

The camshaft bearing journals (does that make sense?) are fine except for the middle one, which is worn. I do need to look carefully at cam bearings when rebuilding the motor in my other Tdi.

See the following photos in the next post: cylinder 2 had a bit of corrosion near the top. It was clear that water was getting in there. I looked for a head gasket failure but found none. Then I discovered the crack in the block - from the water channel into cylinder no.2. Whether this crack has been around for a while, or was caused by the impact, or was caused by the piston top repeatedly striking the head due to excessive piston protrusion, I cannot tell. The crack is only in the block, not the sleeve itself, so no compression was lost, but water could now seep out of the water channel and along the top of the head gasket, into the cylinder.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Pics attached...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast