My "new" Landy, with saga attached - Page 13

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thanks Witblitz. Can't wait to take it somewhere again, it's been too long now.

On the beach in Ramsgate But unfortunately paying the bills in Bellville CT

When you do remember it did not happen if there is no pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    We are waiting with bated breath to see if a crate rocks up this afternoon.
    So, a crate appeared at the workshop on Wednesday afternoon!

When I visited on Friday, the engine was already standing in front of the vehicle and they were adding all the ancillaries that must go on before putting it back into the car.

This indy is really going the extra mile for me here. In this neck of the woods it can be hard to find people who are willing to do quality workmanship, but those who do, are still genuine tradesmen of the old school and the standard is high. An absolute gem.

There are a number of non-original bolts securing the ancillaries, and he's taking the time to root out the correct bolts in each case from his scrap parts bin. He's very familiar with the 300 Tdi so knows exactly how everything should look. For example, the cam sprocket was secured with a normal 6-sided bolt and a spring washer - this bolt should have a head with a skirt.

The intake manifold was originally loose due to a stripped thread in the head (a really stupid idea of LR to anchor the inlet manifold with two bolts into aluminium and two studs). Two other stripped threads on the block - PS pump and aircon pump bolt holes. All these are getting Wurth inserts before the engine is put back in.

Auto gearbox:

I asked for advice on this Forum as to whether to refill the gearbox with Dex II or to "upgrade" to a more modern spec oil. Many people advised going up to a Dex III synthetic.

I hope I'm making the right decision, but I've decided to stay with good old Castrol Dex II. Perhaps it's just "old-fashionedness" but I still feel this is what the 'box was designed with. It also makes it easier as I keep this fluid available for the manual gearbox on my Benz as well as the power steering. And seeing as I do fairly low mileage, I'll rather just change the oil more frequently anyway in case of contamination from water, etc. when going offroad.

Hi Anthony, my thumbs are aching this time.....as with the previous round as well.....once Sokkies is running please come over, there is half a garage of spares for Sokkies and your W115, and good coffee and hospitality....
    2015 Pajero Sport 2,5 Di-D 4x4 5-spd Auto, STOFPAD eng & gbox plate, new engine courtesy Mitsubishi at 95k km.

Thanks Thys for the good wishes. If all goes well I will visit gauteng in the landy during December so can hook the trailer...

I'll post some pics of the pistons and bearings when I get them back. I viewed them when I visited the car last week.

A concern for later, is that some of the bearings show wear only on the outside edges, meaning that some parts of the crankshaft are slightly hourglass-shaped. This is a standard crank which was installed after the previous failure (March-July saga).

Bearing in mind that the engine has done 3000 kms on those bearings: do you guys think it is reasonable that a few of the bearings show uneven wear? I've seen that the crankshaft profile has to be within a certain tolerance - so does this mean that the bearing wear will always be a bit "uneven" at the very beginning?

The process continues and excitement begins to build up again. The engine is back in again. Now we are waiting on the injection pump.

IP was sent away to a Bosch agent for checking. I spoke to them on the phone today. The indy asked them to check carefully for any signs that the pump may be overfuelling, and apparently gave them the idea that the pump is most likely stuffed (based on the way the engine looks!). He opened it and found most things to spec, if I understand him correctly. He says he wouldn't have stripped it if he'd known this, and would have just checked and calibrated it (which would have been much cheaper). I'm not surprised, of course, as I know the pump was calibrated recently and I also know the car didn't smoke.

Anyway, now it's open there are a whole lot of things that might as well be replaced. They did find a bit of pitting and evidence of water, which he says is completely normal for the age, and will also replace the transfer pump as this is not expensive.

Accelerator shaft was a bit worn, so will be replaced while there is an opportunity. This would begin to leak later down the line.

All specs will be set to factory standard - no turns, tweaks, etc.

The alternator bearings sound a bit noisy, so they've sent this in for repair so long. I like the fact that the indy is being pro-active and doing this now, not waiting until the last minute before realising it's too late and then just slapping in all the accessories without bothering to give me the chance to request an overhaul. Again, some nice attention to detail.

By this time next week, the Landy should be safely back under my own carport and its owner (me!) getting a proper night's sleep!

Antz
    On the injector pump you havent wasted money
    You would have had to do the front rubber seals and the dwell pin at some point in the nearish future anyway

Where are those bearing picks ?

Actually wont u post the ronts the place charged you for the work done on the pump
    Mine is due soon and the 12 k plus I think it will be is a bit rich for now
    Last edited by RossJ; 2015/10/28 at 07:29 PM. Reason: More

Hi Ross

My indy says this is the only guy he trusts with his 300 Tdi injection pumps. It's a Bosch agent. I'll email you the invoice so you can see the details of what work was done. Based on another quote I got from them for something else, I think their prices seem reasonable.

Re the bearing pics, this will all have to wait until after I collect the car, as I'm not planning on going in again until it's ready. It's a 60 km round trip each time, and now I've seen the engine back in the workshop I'm happy to keep my distance until all is done and finished.

Once I've settled all the correspondence with everyone directly involved, we can begin with a forum post-mortem of this failure so that others can learn from my experience and some other poor bugger doesn't have to ever go down this route again...

Any news on you baby antvz?

Nothing of interest to report yet.

I heard from the Bosch people today that the IP will be finished (rebuilding) by the end of the day, and calibrated by end of Monday. That means we can expect to receive it here on Wednesday. Meaning I've got about another week of waiting before I get the car...

I'm busy getting my ducks in a row to tackle the engine number fiasco. Remtec sent me a copy of a letter from SAPS where they request clearance and SAPS replies that the engine was not reported stolen. I'll take that, an affidavit, and the installation invoices from the two indies and see if they will clear it and change it on Natis. Luckily the Remtec documentation also makes reference to both the engine number and tag number so it can clearly be seen that they are related.

Im so glad you found a good indie bud. Hope you get a lot of smiles out of the landy
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 1 V8i
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Thank you Sam. I appreciate the good wishes. Hopefully things will take a turn for the better after this.

The injection pump was completed and packaged today, ready for the courier to collect tomorrow. So it should be back in Tzaneen by Wednesday, and ready for installation. I'll be driving out of that workshop on Friday, with a little bit of luck...

I've got a short report from the IP guys as to the state of the pump before the overhaul. It was quite OK, with only a bit of evidence of fuel contamination, which they say is perfectly normal for pumps that have done over 100 000 km's.

They've also sent a document with the specs to which the pump has been calibrated now after the rebuild.

Hi Antvz.
    As you would notice, this is my first post on this forum and your saga was the first thread I chose to read.
    My thoughts here are sincere commiserations on the dramas which have unfolded for you.

This is not acceptable Disco 1 behaviour and one cannot help but think the process of engine remanufacture has not been up to standard.
    Components which have failed should never have, the 300tdi is a very robust engine and will tolerate hard work for years.

My 1997 Disco 1 has performed faultlessly since new, does not even mark its territory! (but does now have the dreaded roof liner sag!)

I sincerely hope I will be reading of your enjoyment driving Sokkies for many trouble free kilometres.

Kind Regards
    Michael (boobook)
    Disco 1 300tdi 1997
    Land Cruiser hzj75 1997
    Landy trayback s111 1976

Welcome Michael.
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 1 V8i
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Welcome Michael.
    Yes you are so spot on the TDi engines are very robust, however not any mackie can rebuild these engines. In my case I did preventative maintenance and had an Indie replace the timing belt and pully's. They put the front crankshaft pully of centre with lots of locktite which led to the crankshaft snapping.

Quote Originally Posted by boobook View Post
    Hi Antvz.
    As you would notice, this is my first post on this forum and your saga was the first thread I chose to read.
    Hi Michael

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to hang out and very informative.

I see this thread has grown to 6 pages, so you must have gone through a few cups of coffee while reading!

Thank you for the encouragement and good wishes. To be honest, I don't even want to page back on this thread, as I never want to go through all this again...

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast