My "new" Landy, with saga attached - Page 21

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Default Re: My "new" Landy, with saga attached

Just remember to add up to 50% of the price for import tax.

I might be off but that's the rule of thumb I use when importing parts.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind≤)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Just remember to add up to 50% of the price for import tax.

I might be off but that's the rule of thumb I use when importing parts.
    Thanks for that, jfh. I was wondering how much I needed to add. Will do the maths...the good bit is that I think delivery is a flat rate.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

jfh

To give you some idea of import costs, in November last year I imported a transfer box for my Defender from Ashcroft in the UK. Rand value calculated for the Tx box was R14926.00. Import charges were as follows; VAT = R2910.60. Duty = R2985.20. Admin = R380.00 (plus additional R57.00 Vat). Total import cost = R6332.80. There was also about ten days delay getting it cleared through customs at ORTIA despite it being couriered to me by TNT. Hope this helps.
    James

Land Rover Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi - 1998
    Land Rover Series III SWB 2.25 Petrol - 19??
    Range Rover Evoque Si4 - 2015
    Mini Metalian Trailer

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jungle Jim For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
    To give you some idea of import costs, in November last year I imported a transfer box for my Defender from Ashcroft in the UK. Rand value calculated for the Tx box was R14926.00. Import charges were as follows; VAT = R2910.60. Duty = R2985.20. Admin = R380.00 (plus additional R57.00 Vat). Total import cost = R6332.80. There was also about ten days delay getting it cleared through customs at ORTIA despite it being couriered to me by TNT. Hope this helps.
    Thanks: Was it imported as new, used, or reconditioned? Did TNT also do the clearing?
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
    Thanks: Was it imported as new, used, or reconditioned? Did TNT also do the clearing?
    Shipping was arranged by Ashcroft (£225.00!! - 56kg) who used TNT as couriers. Shipping documents just stated 'Motor Vehicle Parts & Accessories'.They did not stipulate whether the part was new,used or reconditioned. Import costs were based on the Ashcroft invoice included with the shipping documents. TNT did the clearing but their service was very disappointing. Following the on-line tracking the service was very efficient until the consignment got to ORTIA where it sat for about ten days. All attempts to get info using the on-line help went unanswered and the customer care number was never answered. Eventually after much frustration we managed to get hold of a number of someone at the ORTIA clearing centre who got the shipment moving again. Delivery after clearance was also efficient.
    James

Land Rover Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi - 1998
    Land Rover Series III SWB 2.25 Petrol - 19??
    Range Rover Evoque Si4 - 2015
    Mini Metalian Trailer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jungle Jim For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
    Shipping was arranged by Ashcroft (£225.00!! - 56kg) who used TNT as couriers. Shipping documents just stated 'Motor Vehicle Parts & Accessories'.They did not stipulate whether the part was new,used or reconditioned. Import costs were based on the Ashcroft invoice included with the shipping documents. TNT did the clearing but their service was very disappointing. Following the on-line tracking the service was very efficient until the consignment got to ORTIA where it sat for about ten days. All attempts to get info using the on-line help went unanswered and the customer care number was never answered. Eventually after much frustration we managed to get hold of a number of someone at the ORTIA clearing centre who got the shipment moving again. Delivery after clearance was also efficient.
    Thanks Jungle Jim

This is very useful, relevant info you posted here, and it will help a lot of people.

Those import duties are not bad at all.

Shipping is a killer, but it's also not bad for such a large package.

I'd do it, especially for something you can't get here.

An example, for some of us Disco 1 or 2 owners, is the autobox. Costs a fortune to have it properly rebuilt here, and Ashcroft sells a completely recon unit.

Thanks again!

antvz,

Starting yesterday, I read this whole thread, and my heart bleeds for you!!!!

Save yourself a lot of heartache and money and buy yourself a nice 4.5 Patrol, speak to Petri Oosthuizen (on this forum) from Bethlehem, he seems to find them by the half dozen. Those engines are silky smooth. Read Petri's posts in the Nissan Section of this forum! https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ive-the-Nissan

You seem to prefer the oldies with character..... and Patrol owners are also a big tightly knit family, just like the Landie guys.....

It will do 500k to 800k km and beyond without a hiccup. You can get a nice and beautifully running one for what the Landy engine could potentially cost you and for the next 10 years your maintenance cost will be just about zero. These vehicles are like oxen, strong and everlasting. They only die when the guys crash them or run their motors without water....

So, the fuel costs will be higher, but you will save that in maintenance and frustration and you will no longer have that ulcer
    and nagging in the back of your head, every time you need to go on a trip.

If you prefer a diesel, there is a guy on the Patrol Forum (www.patrol.co.za) named Tinus Lotz, ask him to find you a nice 4.2 TD. He is the go-to man to find you a nice Patrol, and he will find the model you want, be it a GQ (up to about 1998) or the GU that replaced the GQ (the older "square" models, usually with two-tone paint). The 4.2 diesels are lighter on fuel than the petrol versions, and Dungbeelte on the forum has one that is virtually in daily use and it has done about 880,000km!!

GQ models start from about R65k and GU models from about R95k for really nice ones, from about 200k km to 300k km, and they would be barely run in at that mileage.

I know the Landy guys will crucify me, but take it from me, your life will become "rustig" and fulfilled once you acquire your first Patrol.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/04/19 at 11:55 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Hi Malcolm

I really do hope the Landy guys aren't going to take you to pieces for posting such blasphemous and idolatrous suggestions in a Landy thread in the Landy section. We could end up starting a religious debate, which is of course completely against the TOS of this site!

Give my Landy up for a Patrol? Not a chance!

In all seriousness though, that was one of my biggest considerations other than the Landy at the time.

I'd come from a Nissan Sani, and of course I know a bit about your vehicle history from this site and (I think?) the Nissan site? I had the V6, but got tired of the consumption, the front suspension issues, and I needed a 7-seater. A nice 2.7 Terrano would have solved 2 of the 3 issues, and I nearly went that route.

A half-decent diesel Patrol, as you know, is not an easy thing to find, and there's a lot less available for under R100k. Both my Landys came in very nice condition for about half that price.

The good old mechanical diesel patrol would be the perfect thing, and I love the look and sheer ruggedness of those cars. But I genuinely just can't live with that sort of consumption, and was not going to get rid of my V6 just to get another guzzler. It's all relative to some people, but for me, 10l/100km is the psychological cutoff point.

I was tempted to pursue the Patrol route after another guy you might know, Cedric (Ricster) exchanged his Sani for a Patrol. I decided rather to hold onto my Sani a bit longer when I heard the consumption figures - those things are a good bit bigger and heavier than a Disco 1 and you pay a penalty.

When the Sani's engine died, it was crunch time. I knew that my next 4x4 would have to be a Landy. I've always loved the look of the Landy, but unfortunately, now that I've driven one and made it part of my life, I will not easily make the switch to another 4x4. I even had a brief 48-hour fling with a Disco 2, back in 2011, which ended very badly, but that didn't put me off either.

I guess I can just conclude, these cars are in my blood and I struggle to see myself without one in the driveway!

Ja and although you had some misfortune, an 300Tdi is much cheaper to maintain/overhaul/fill up/manoeuvre than a Patrol.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind≤)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

As a die hard landy fan and owning a 2003Discovery td5 i would consider a patrol of the same year. Also sluggish and big but with a much more understressed enjin. Yes it is thirsty. But my top 3 includes a 80 cruiser diesel also. Same story as a patrol. Disco is a winner on the looks and fuel consumption
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 1 V8i
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    Hi Malcolm

well said you will sort this out
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Hi Malcolm

I really do hope the Landy guys aren't going to take you to pieces for posting such blasphemous and idolatrous suggestions in a Landy thread in the Landy section. We could end up starting a religious debate, which is of course completely against the TOS of this site!

In all seriousness though, that was one of my biggest considerations other than the Landy at the time.

I'd come from a Nissan Sani, and of course I know a bit about your vehicle history from this site and (I think?) the Nissan site? I had the V6, but got tired of the consumption, the front suspension issues, and I needed a 7-seater. A nice 2.7 Terrano would have solved 2 of the 3 issues, and I nearly went that route.

A half-decent diesel Patrol, as you know, is not an easy thing to find, and there's a lot less available for under R100k. Both my Landys came in very nice condition for about half that price.

The good old mechanical diesel patrol would be the perfect thing, and I love the look and sheer ruggedness of those cars. But I genuinely just can't live with that sort of consumption, and was not going to get rid of my V6 just to get another guzzler. It's all relative to some people, but for me, 10l/100km is the psychological cutoff point.

I was tempted to pursue the Patrol route after another guy you might know, Cedric (Ricster) exchanged his Sani for a Patrol. I decided rather to hold onto my Sani a bit longer when I heard the consumption figures - those things are a good bit bigger and heavier than a Disco 1 and you pay a penalty.

When the Sani's engine died, it was crunch time. I knew that my next 4x4 would have to be a Landy. I've always loved the look of the Landy, but unfortunately, now that I've driven one and made it part of my life, I will not easily make the switch to another 4x4. I even had a brief 48-hour fling with a Disco 2, back in 2011, which ended very badly, but that didn't put me off either.

I guess I can just conclude, these cars are in my blood and I struggle to see myself without one in the driveway!

Yes, I had a Sani V6 and swapped it for the 2.7 Terrano TDi (7 seats) and it was a huge upgrade in terms of towing and fuel consumption AND RIDE QUALITY!!. With the Terrano, just running it alone, with no roof rack or RTT and not towing, got 11 to 12km/l, was fairly economical. Had it for 13 years and sold it at 350,000km.

At the same time (last 5 years) bought a 84 Safari with petrol 2.8 "Skyline" petrol engine. Eventually got it (fiddled with the jets in the 38 Weber, I had a lot of jets due to all the Alfa's I owned that used SD Webers), down to 8 to 9km per liter.

Swapped the Safari for a 4.2 Petrol GQ, with 3 speed auto (3 speed box a disaster, never enough grunt in any gears), so put in a Lexus V8. With the V8, I got 8.5 km/l on open road, 4.5 km/l in town, but that was because the sound of the V8 in town induced by a heavy foot.

When I retired 7 years ago, I bought a 2010 YD25 Pathfinder as my last 4x4 newish big vehicle. What a pleasure. 140kw/450nm torque, 8lt per 100 (12.5km/lt). I was then sitting with 3 4x4 vehicles, so I sold the Patrol. I used the Terrano for my safari business into Africa and my Pathfinder as my Platkar. Raised the suspension 100mm and fitted a locker (www.lokka.com) into the front diff, was realy cheap, about R7.5k incl duties, postage and fitment.

About 4.5 years ago, I thought that I need a newer vehicle for the image of the Touring Business. A 17 year old lead vehicle did not fit the image. I traded it for a 2008 facelift Patrol 3lt Di, at that stage the newest shape Patrol. Paid less than R200k for it.

Towing my trailer and with 4 people up, with RTT, i got 12lt/100 km (8.5 km/lt) on my last safari into Botswana. I mostly use it just for safaris with customers and when we go family camping, then I get around 12lt/100, but when I took it for a visit to my cousin in Nelspruit, nothing on the roof and running empty, I was getting 10km/lt down and 9km/lt coming back.
    I bought the last Patrol at 150k km and it has now done nearly 185k km, trouble free. I did have injectors serviced and the turbo redone for peace of mind, soon after buying it. Can't have a vehicle that gives problems on a safari with paying customers. I have also since fitted a front locker (www.Lokka.com), and raised the suspension by 65mm (longer coil springs only) and a helper air bag in the back coils. it really carries a heavy load when on safari.

So they are not ALL heavy on fuel. Cedric did a turbo conversion and is very happy.

The 4.2 TD is also no too bad on fuel, I have heard from some as good at 10lt/100 at about 100kph on the open road, others around 12lt/100.

Price wise, you can get a Patrol for very good prices too (under R100k) -

https://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=8861
    https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...l/3-l/25430962
    https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...l/4.5/25431572
    https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...l/4.5/25431593
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...lpark/5725915/
    https://www.automart.co.za/cars/niss...994-id-5491377
    https://www.automart.co.za/cars/niss...001-id-5444096
    https://car.mitula.co.za/detalle/310...0-4deee7262822

Some for slightly more with LOTS of extras -

https://car.mitula.co.za/detalle/310...f-e3cdc6d3b66e
    https://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=8770
    https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...l/3-l/25438751
    https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...l/3-l/25438751

So you paid less than R50k for the Landy, and how much on engines and a replacement Landy? Now another engine for the replacement D1 AS WELL.... And how long did the 2 vehicles stand in workshops and you could not use it? Sounds like a HUGE expense and inconvenience for me!!

Add all that together and you could have had a very nice Patrol for that money, AND for the extra fuel for the next 5 years

Just saying......
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/04/20 at 11:15 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

I know people like you, adrenalin junkies...

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    I know people like you, adrenalin junkies...
    I know that all too well, I owned 27 Alfas, raced them too, won the Inland Historic Marque Car Championship 3 years in a row with a 1969 1750 Alfa Berlina - 1994, 1995 and 1996.

I did not have the same trouble with any of them as you with them Landies. Other than one racing car that kept running bearings (turned out to be a buckled block in the end) never had one that let me down, or gave problems.

Hard engines, contrary to legend, use to start them cold and drive the crap out of them from cold. Had no mercy for those engines, revved them to 7,000rpm daily. Bought a brand new Alfetta 2000 Turbo, fitted a 7500 rev limiter from an Alfasud and drove it to the revlimiter daily. Bought it brand new for R13,350 and sold it 13 years later for R55k!

But I buy a car so I can use it daily, I will not keep it if it is broken, or in the workshop most of the time.... Also, using a car for safaris with paying customers, I need a vehicle that I know will bring me home. I cant have a nagging question in the back of my head, "Will it take me home without breaking" all the time...

I am not particularly a Nissan 4x4 fan, I just find that buying them, you get them second hand for a lot less money than most other brand (Chinese and Indian brands excluded) and like most other Jap vehicles, they and their engines are as hard as nails....
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/04/20 at 11:11 AM.
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Hi Malcolm

I really do hope the Landy guys aren't going to take you to pieces for posting such blasphemous and idolatrous suggestions in a Landy thread in the Landy section.
    No, not a chance they can do that, its like water off a duck's back. Remember, I drove Alfas continuously from 1975 to 2015. They are like Landies in a way, everybody has a bad story to tell about them, even though they have never even owned or had never driven one!

At least I drove many S1 Landies and even a FC Ambulance in my army days...... The last one (6 cyl 2.6 engine), I had in Grootfontein and I could not be taken into the tiffies for even a service. I was the base duty driver on a 3 month camp. It was front wheel drive model, the one rear side shaft had snapped, so I put it in 4WD and just drove it like that. When I asked the tiffies about fixing it, they said: "If that Landy comes in for a service, we will scrap it, it will cost to much to fix and its too old"

I also drove an 80" Shorty (2.25 4 cyl, Braai Grid model) with big oversize tyres off a Noddy Car (Eland Armoured car), for a while. The Landies used 6.5" x 15" Dunlop All Grip tyres and the Noddy cars tyres we fitted, were something like 35" (maybe 33") x 12.5" x 15" tyres.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/04/20 at 11:38 AM.
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    No, not a chance they can do that, its like water off a duck's back. Remember, I drove Alfas continuously from 1975 to 2015. They are like Landies in a way, everybody has a bad story to tell about them, even though they have never even owned or had never driven one!

At least I drove many S1 Landies and even a FC Ambulance in my army days...... The last one (6 cyl 2.6 engine), I had in Grootfontein and I could not be taken into the tiffies for even a service. I was the base duty driver on a 3 month camp. It was front wheel drive model, the one rear side shaft had snapped, so I put it in 4WD and just drove it like that. When I asked the tiffies about fixing it, they said: "If that Landy comes in for a service, we will scrap it, it will cost to much to fix and its too old"

I also drove an 80" Shorty (2.25 4 cyl, Braai Grid model) with big oversize tyres off a Noddy Car (Eland Armoured car), for a while. The Landies used 6.5" x 15" Dunlop All Grip tyres and the Noddy cars tyres we fitted, were something like 35" (maybe 33") x 12.5" x 15" tyres.
    Yes :-) I had a couple of Alfas during my first few years of learning how to work on cars. It accelerated the learning process nicely! I had a GT Junior that someone cut the top off, made it into a bit of a sports car, that I bought for R4k (in 2003!). And a Guilietta, one of those square ones from the 80's. Would love a GT Junior again and I'm constantly tempted.

You make a lot of good points, Malcolm. It was also good to see the links to some nice Patrols and I still do believe that they are great cars with a lot going for them - and quite honestly they are underrated.

One of the biggest questions I often ask myself, is what to look for if I want to "upgrade" to a later model 4x4 which is still capable in an old-fashioned way. Being solid-axle, the Patrol would be a natural progression as almost the last of the "old-school" true 4x4's.

Regarding "my" thread, this one, it can be a bit overwhelming to someone reading it all for the first time! It was started initially out of desperation to highlight the struggle I had in getting a decent quality of workmanship out of a few suppliers who should have known better. Because the amounts of money we were dealing with were in the sub-R50k category, my issues just sat and sat and it basically took the whole of 2015 to get things sorted out. I should actually just shelve it and start a new thread for my "new" Disco 1 and its build process, and I think that's what I'm going to do.

As for the white Disco in this thread, affectionately known as La(n)dy, she died a premature death not because of Land Rover's (legendary) reliability issues, but because of the failings of a few companies to really look out for an "underdog" customer who would have become a loyal supporter and also generated a lot of positive publicity. As if it's acceptable for any build to fail within the time frames that it did... but they just left it and left it and let it slide in the hope that it would all go away. My choice was, eventually, to just go away, and leave it for what it was - but I can't really blame the vehicle for that.

La(n)dy could have been resurrected and the job done properly. I chose to scrap her and use most of her good parts in a nice 4-door one rather, since unfortunately I often travel full-up and the two-door was becoming more and more of an issue.

But, in between getting it all right at the end of 2015, and her death in 2019, there were 100 000 km of some of the best memories I've ever made! And which will continue once I've finished with this latest rebuild.

Thanks Jungle Jim

This is very useful, relevant info you posted here, and it will help a lot of people.

Those import duties are not bad at all.

Shipping is a killer, but it's also not bad for such a large package.

I'd do it, especially for something you can't get here.

An example, for some of us Disco 1 or 2 owners, is the autobox. Costs a fortune to have it properly rebuilt here, and Ashcroft sells a completely recon unit.

Thanks again!
    The box on the D1 and D2 were used on many other vehicles too, BMW, Mbenz to name a few...The Gearbox company in Mdrand is also very good and has no nonsense approach to repairing boxes
    30 years experience and knowledge certainly out weighs a 5min keyboard bashing on google
    Love's electrickery stuff and problems related to it as long as it dont go bang cos then its f......
    NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT
    A V8 is where thunder is made
    100%WEE

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21