My "new" Landy, with saga attached - Page 16

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Now thats a Landy owner

No need to go on those trips other than its a flippin good feeling.

And now the Landy is reasonably dusty again...

Off to Giyani this afternoon. Found an excuse to go there to test her out after replacing a few water pipes.

And again she did very nicely in the searing heat of Giyani. Very flat roads though, so that makes a difference.

Quite funny though - I drove the whole way with my bunch of keys lying on the front bumper...

On the beach in Ramsgate But unfortunately paying the bills in Bellville CT

Hi antvz,
    Been wondering how Sokkies performed the weekend. Hopefully you continued Friday afternoon theme by been in her natural habitat. They are awesome offroad and very capable. You need not worry as it will go where the supposed legend 4x4 go.

Hi Witblitz

No hardcore 4x4-ing for me at the moment, but I got to do a few nice trips out and about, some on dirt roads. This car will also not see any "playing" as I have a very limited budget and can't afford to break stuff - but when I do go out into the back of beyond, I know I can rely on her to keep plodding on through difficult terrain.

Mostly mountain driving at the moment, no idling through obstacles as I want to work the engine a bit. Varying the revs and load constantly to try and get everything to bed in properly.

Another little trip out and about...

This is just a little roundabout route through a few mountains, takes about half an hour. Significant because this time Sokkies actually did the trip without spraying oil all over the place. Before the latest rebuild, I returned from a similar round trip to find oil and red dust covering the underside of the car as sump compression finally got the better of the seals...
    Last edited by antvz; 2015/11/17 at 09:08 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

On the beach in Ramsgate But unfortunately paying the bills in Bellville CT

Looks awesome. Yes when running in my Defender 300 Tdi I also varied the revs and load speeds. The first 200km is very important in bedding the motor as after that the bore starts to become glazed. I have now 2000km on the motor and in town driving getting 10km/l which I am happy about.
    If you do find yourself in Cape Town give me a shout, we can discuss 300Tdi war stories over a couple of cold ones

Quote Originally Posted by Witblitz View Post
    Looks awesome. Yes when running in my Defender 300 Tdi I also varied the revs and load speeds. The first 200km is very important in bedding the motor as after that the bore starts to become glazed. I have now 2000km on the motor and in town driving getting 10km/l which I am happy about.
    If you do find yourself in Cape Town give me a shout, we can discuss 300Tdi war stories over a couple of cold ones
    Sadly I don't find myself going down that way nearly enough. Admittedly, now I have a vehicle with decent fuel consumption it could be a possibility. I need to get to PE sometime next year, perhaps a small detour is in order...

You guys are probably becoming tired of all the Landy+mountain photos now. But I figure that so many people have been following this thread and wading through all the text - might as well post some Landy eye-candy to celebrate a positive end to all the troubles...

Been following this quietly in the background
    Really happy you have a local indie worth his salt assisting you getting your Landy happy again.

Miles of Smiles ahead

Today I decided to take a trip out to Lekgalameetse Nature Reserve. This place is not nearly well enough visited - suits me though, it's nice and peaceful.

I've been there a couple of times with the Sani, and was interested to take the Landy there to make comparisons.

What many people don't know, is that you can drive right THROUGH the reserve and exit through a little security checkpoint on the other side (I think it's about 25 km or so). After this, a little bit of navigating will get you to Polokwane. In the reserve, you ascend a pass to a height of about 1300 m, then you have to lose all that height again just outside the reserve in a steep, narrow rocky section. None of this really counts as a hardcore 4x4 trail (you could technically take your soft-roader there) although I always feel much more comfortable doing the rocky descents in low range for stability.

Well, this was my plan for today. Add to this, the fact that it rained quite heavily last night, so I was expecting some puddles of muddy water. Surprisingly, the reserve is very lush and green at the moment, making for some lovely scenery (cell phone camera doesn't do it justice).

It didn't work out, though. The route was very overgrown. I had to stop a few times and bend branches out of the way, and got a few bush stripes in the process (myself AND the car!). I also lost the aerial due to stupidity. Eventually I came across a whole tree fallen across the track, with no way to bypass it, and had to turn back and drive 18 km back to reception. They promised to report the blockage to the maintenance guys...

Having the autobox+Tdi combination made for a very relaxed outing. An excellent characteristic of this car (the same characteristic that makes it quite frustrating at intersections!) is that throttle input is not very sensitive. On difficult surfaces, you can apply some throttle with confidence, knowing that it's not going to suddenly jump up and break traction...

Photos to follow...

Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post
    Been following this quietly in the background
    Really happy you have a local indie worth his salt assisting you getting your Landy happy again.

Miles of Smiles ahead
    Thanks DD, and yes, I'm grateful that there's a good local indy willing to help out. He knows that I'm going to be doing most of the routine maintenance myself (it's a Landy after all!) and yet he's still willing to assist. He took great pleasure and pride in getting everything back to standard after the previous botch-up - and did not use the opportunity to take me to the cleaners financially.

Lekgalameetse pictures follow...
    Last edited by antvz; 2015/11/21 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks for sharing Anthony, Lekgalameetse Nature Reserve was my first try at a "trail" with Sokkies. I had her for one month (April 2007) and was new to the 4x4 scene. That was actually before she got the name Sokkies.

She was stock standard then, 205-16 tyres, the OE white Dunlop factory fitted rims.......

I also attach a pic we took with my wife's camera. We also took the route from the entry point and managed to drive trough to the other side, it was a nice experience for me at that time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lekgalameetse 038.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	377270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lekgalameetse 041.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	377271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lekgalameetse 045.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	377272  
    2015 Pajero Sport 2,5 Di-D 4x4 5-spd Auto, STOFPAD eng & gbox plate, new engine courtesy Mitsubishi at 95k km.

If I were you I will replace that LR telescopic antenna with a whip antenna, they are very forgiving in the bush.
    2015 Pajero Sport 2,5 Di-D 4x4 5-spd Auto, STOFPAD eng & gbox plate, new engine courtesy Mitsubishi at 95k km.

Looks a great trip

Quote Originally Posted by Thys Willemse View Post
    Thanks for sharing Anthony, Lekgalameetse Nature Reserve was my first try at a "trail" with Sokkies. I had her for one month (April 2007) and was new to the 4x4 scene. That was actually before she got the name Sokkies.

She was stock standard then, 205-16 tyres, the OE white Dunlop factory fitted rims.......

I also attach a pic we took with my wife's camera. We also took the route from the entry point and managed to drive trough to the other side, it was a nice experience for me at that time.
    Now isn't that just incredible! Same car, 8 years later, almost double the mileage, still soldiering on. And now her first trail with a new owner must have been like a trip down memory lane for her... 8)8)8)

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast