My "new" Landy, with saga attached - Page 15

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

And there she is, in the flesh. Purrs like a kitten.

Attachment 375498

Now for the pure Land rover enjoyment, enjoy it Anthony.
    2015 Pajero Sport 2,5 Di-D 4x4 5-spd Auto, STOFPAD eng & gbox plate, new engine courtesy Mitsubishi at 95k km.

Quick trip up Magoebaskloof pass to test her out. 2200 rpm in third gear. Max temp 95 deg C and you can hear the viscous fan kicking in.

Can't check egt as the probe or its connection seems to be damaged. I suspect the earth braiding has been ripped out somewhere during manhandling.

Oil pressure nicely in spec

Glad it all going well, i had to take out my injector pump as the pin that runs on the off set cone was seized, pump was supposed to of been servest, ya right it was.... so back it went to the IP people again but all back together now

Antz

Lekker to be behind the steering wheel again ne ??

That bumper isnt standard - cause your number plate is skeef
    I know the previous owner is on this forum
    BUT
    Check air holes vs std bumper
    I hate aftermarket stuff that isnt researched
    Yours is an auto so not sure of another radiator
    That trip to Lesotho should have been a nothing in terms of air flow and temps
    Then I see 2 small spot lights in the way of normal air flow

My 2 c worth
    If I compare the night driving of my freinds flat cars - polo, Auidi A4, korean something, opel , ford something
    None of them compate to my lights at all which are standard and severly piited from driving over toyotas
    All of my comparisons are cars older than 4 years

Ek se maar net
    But she is home

Gooooood news

Enjoy

Ross, you are correct about the front bumper/bull bar combo, and the wind tunnel designed OE bumper. Brian Cotton did the front end rebuild, and we carefully checked the "mating" surfaces. We added in horizontal sections to ensure the airflow is path is as per the OE bumper. Interesting observation was that with the front end re-build the rubbers along the vertical radiator frame, both sides went AWOL, and this was picked up as the running temperature was higher. Once those vertical rubber seals were back in place all was back to normal. The 115 mm diameter Bosch spots are actually a good distance from the front grille. There was no running temperature difference, and they were there for 6 years.

What that "Oshkosh" bull bar did, when the winch was added, was that the front dropped by about 4 mm due to the additional weight of all the steel.

The OE bumper will be collected by Anthony later this year, so Sokkies will have two "dress" code options, if so required....

First pic the bull bar that was a bolt on to the OE bumper, next pic the "Oshkosh" bumper/bulbar and the air flow diversion plates we put in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	375540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	375541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	375542  
    Last edited by Thys Willemse; 2015/11/09 at 11:16 PM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 2,5 Di-D 4x4 5-spd Auto, STOFPAD eng & gbox plate, new engine courtesy Mitsubishi at 95k km.

Ross, thanks for the constructive comments. Much appreciated. I'll keep a careful eye on the temperatures as summer continues scorching.

Thys, thanks for clarifying with details of the rebuild. I really like that front bumper/bullbar combination - it's genuinely a sturdy build and is securely mounted as well. It also gives this landy a unique "look" and I would be very hesitant to remove it.

Thanks Anthony, maybe you must just check if all the Indies who worked on Sokkies lately, did not remove those two strips we fitted between the bumper and grille.

Enjoy

The Masonite stuff? It's still there and so also are the side rubbers.

Today was spent doing police clearance because of the engine number bungle.

Got all the documents together and made an affidavit. Half an hour in Tzaneen SAPS where a guy checked everything about my story. Back to Modjadjiskloof for a RPC, took 3 hours standing in a queue of 4 people. Then back to Tzaneen and 10mins later all done...

Antz

I know this may sound a bit over the top
    BUT
    Landy all clean
    Take good overlaping photos of the motor and g/box and even diffs

Then in 3 months time when you spot something you can actually cross reference it back to a photo and not some paranoid made up memory

On the beach in Ramsgate But unfortunately paying the bills in Bellville CT

Glad its all sorted , now you just need some quality of roading time

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Antz

I know this may sound a bit over the top
    BUT
    Landy all clean
    Take good overlaping photos of the motor and g/box and even diffs

Then in 3 months time when you spot something you can actually cross reference it back to a photo and not some paranoid made up memory
    Wise words. Not a bad idea for insurance purposes anyway.

Could they get Sokkies back as a 7 seater?

No, she has to go through another RWC. Just got issued a new licence disc a few minutes ago, so I'll do a RWC in December and then wait for the next disc.

Just refuelled after about 530 km driving.

Fuel consumption 10.9 l/100 km. Not bad for a still-running-in engine. What's more, a lot of this was done on mountain passes.

EGT gauge not functional at the moment - it seems to have come back from the workshop giving spurious readings. I'll check this weekend to see if the earthing sheath is properly connected. The probe is properly installed. I would have liked to get some EGT readings, especially in this hot weather. Apparently it reached 41 deg C in Tzaneen yesterday!

Climbing on the road from Tzaneen to Agatha (The Coach House), you ascend from about 750 m to 1100 m. This was quite easy yesterday, with only myself in the car and no aircon. But it was a bit of a challenge today with some passengers and the aircon running. In the steepest sections, I had to slow to about 40 km/h in second gear, with water temperature climbing to 100 dec C near the top of the hill.

So happy for you that this thread has eventually turned into a feel good story! Wishing many hundreds of thousands of trouble free kilometres!
    2017 Nissan Qashqai

AwieT, thanks for the good wishes. Certainly it has started well, with such a great job done by the indy.

Time for another round of thanks.

This time the award goes to VENTURE OVERLAND (a very competent workshop in Tzaneen run by Dermot). Dermot, I know you don't read the forum because you're too busy fixing our Landies. But this is just a public THANK YOU for all the excellent work and attention to detail on my car. I've seen from your attitude and work ethic that you are truly a one-in-a-million mechanic.

I spent a bit of time this afternoon with the Landy in her natural habitat. Did some back gravel routes around Magoebaskloof and got a nice coating of dust all over the car. An absolute pleasure to drive on the back routes where there are no "fast" cars to chase you. Just stick it in Drive, push the accelerator, grin and enjoy.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast