My "new" Landy, with saga attached - Page 11

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Anything you do yourself right now may be used to void future warranty claims against involved third parties. I wouldn't take that risk.

Call those third parties directly involved for advise ,record the call!!
    Last edited by nitrious; 2015/07/26 at 06:47 PM.

Antz

How are thing going with the Landy ??

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    Some thanks are due to people:

- The 4x4 community for support, good advice and encouragement
    - the previous owner of the car for being a gentleman and true Landy fanatic
    - LandyWorx (not only Peter and Ian but the whole team who rallied round to install the engine. I visited them at 10 on the Wednesday evening and they were still working)
    - LandyWorx again for honouring their warranty on their workmanship
    - LandyWorx again (Peter and Ian) for working extremely hard to restore good faith instead of becoming defensive
    - Remtec and their representatives for honouring their warranty and also working hard to restore good faith, with daily updates

Some photos will follow for those interested. Probably on another thread in Lesotho section, but I'll post a reminder here as well.

Meanwhile, I'll leave you all with this:

Ross, thanks for reviving the thread. I had quite forgotten about it in the madness of life at this time of year at school!

According to the quote above, I promised you all some pictures. Posted some time ago, but forgot to post a link here. See this link:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=230584

Unfortunately the picture is not quite as rosy as painted above. The thanks, the good wishes, etc... makes the reader feel that "all's well that ends well".

Real life is just not so simple. The fairy tale of "riding off into the sunset with my new Landy, 300 Tdi engine chugging happily for 300 000 km, was not to be.

The engine self-destructed quite badly at the beginning of August, and is now being fixed again. Should have it back within a few weeks now, and will try again with that legendary 300 000 km sunset ride...

The verdict was something they call "fuel wash", apparently caused by incorrect pump timing. Remtec is paying a lot of "goodwill" stuff on this engine, but I need to pay for the parts only. Thanks are due to them for handling the issue very professionally, especially as I did get quite stroppy during the whole process at times!

The engine is being resleeved to standard (probably not a bad thing according to some experts on this forum), pistons replaced. Crank and everything else is thankfully OK.

I'm having this done by Venture Overland in Tzaneen. It needs to be officially stated here, that Dermot is really someone I can trust fully with my new vehicle. He really knows his stuff. Thanks, guys, for the referral - much appreciated.

I'll give a lot more detail once the process is completed. I was holding out until all correspondence was completed before posting on a public forum, but since the verdict is out and I've given instructions as to how to proceed, I see no harm in sharing the above now.

I'm hoping to get the car running during the next two weeks so that I can do a trial run somewhere or other before the 4th school term begins. Perhaps a weekend out in some mountains somewhere - just me and the Landy.

Holy cow this is terrible. You are a very patient person.

Good luck.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Antz

Hope a long and good relationship develops with Sokkies

Keep us posted plse

I especially mean facts and figures like egt oil and water figures

Fuel consumption tells a story of its own as well

Ross, I agree. That's why I'm so disappointed. All vital signs were OK during my trip to Lesotho. Even fuel consumption was good, with trailer. See my fuelly.

As noted I was concerned about oil usage and the fact that it gathered in the turbo pipe. This eventually led me to test for blowby, which was horrific.

An intermittent tapping noise, like loose hydraulic tappets, appeared during the trip. Could not pin it down, but later it became permanent and I took it in for a professional opinion.

On my way back from the workshop it started leaking oil. I made an appointment next day and brought it in at the end of the week.

Remtec wanted the motor back to investigate, but I was reluctant to send the whole thing as I firmly believed it was perhaps a small problem. I asked for head and sump to be removed, which they granted. When head was removed, serious scuffing was found in cyl 2 and bad scuffing in the others.

I was convinced that they had somehow messed up with piston or ring sizes, but apparently it all checks out.

Remtec diagnosed fuel wash due to incorrect pump timing. Timing was found to be out by the workshop.

No one can explain the tapping noise or account for it. Perhaps piston slap? If so, incorrect running in oil? Who knows really.
    Fact is, a motor went from brand new to stuffed in 3000 km with a madman. And must have had blowby from the moment I got the car, based on oil usage and the oil drips.

Very frustrating.

Thankfully some of the costs are covered by remtec's goodwill. Hopefully I'll be there at the startup of this motor and witness that nothing goes wrong.

Antz
    Do you have a photo of the pistons while still in the block

The workshop will have. Why!

I mean "why?"

I had a reman motor where the pistons where the wrong way round and that tick is the sound it made

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    I was convinced that they had somehow messed up with piston or ring sizes, but apparently it all checks out.

Remtec diagnosed fuel wash due to incorrect pump timing. Timing was found to be out by the workshop.

No one can explain the tapping noise or account for it. Perhaps piston slap? If so, incorrect running in oil? Who knows really.
    Fact is, a motor went from brand new to stuffed in 3000 km with a madman. And must have had blowby from the moment I got the car, based on oil usage and the oil drips.

Very frustrating.

Thankfully some of the costs are covered by remtec's goodwill. Hopefully I'll be there at the startup of this motor and witness that nothing goes wrong.
    And that is exactly how my Remtech engine also died, at similar km's, no name brand Pistons were pulled from the motor.

Anton,
    Ek is baie bly jy het uiteindelik by Dermot uitgekom!!Goeie Indie wat TDi's verstaan.Het my vertel van die Disco met nuwe enjin wat moeg is agv. foutiewe inspuiters/tyd.Nie besef dit is jou D1 nie.Sterkte.
    Groete,
    Frans
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Hearing more and more stories of remtec failures on land rover engines.
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Game viewer
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

That is bad luck really feel for you i have just finished re building my engine myself so will see how that goes this will be the 2nd one i have done of mine so just hope all goes well with this on
    it sounds nice i have only driven it 10KM, when i get back from off shore will finish it off as have work to do on landy still
    then it will be time to slowly carry on with my LS V8 Landy

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    I had a reman motor where the pistons where the wrong way round and that tick is the sound it made
    Ross, I suppose it is possible, but not likely in this particular case. Things were really checked out well during the second rebuild and I don't think they would have taken any chances. But this is why I wanted an indy to open the motor first. I am sure he would have picked it up if this was the case - he really knows Tdi motors exceptionally well.

BUT - I will ask the indy about this - he has the photos and will be able to confirm for me.

However, thinking about it, something similar is not out of the question. One person who also knows the Tdi motors said that the sound is the piston just slightly hitting the inside of the cylinder head, due to the fact that the piston protrusion was not checked correctly. What was very suspect, according to this guy, was the observation that a zero-hole head gasket was fitted to this engine.

What I can't figure out is: were the scuffing of the bores, and the tapping sound, related? If I ever find closure on this issue, I will feel a lot more at peace about the next rebuild to be installed.
    Last edited by antvz; 2015/09/22 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Added more info

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    And that is exactly how my Remtech engine also died, at similar km's, no name brand Pistons were pulled from the motor.
    faniedup, also thanks for sharing your experience with the Remtec motors.

I have to ask myself the question, though: would a highly reputable company really mess up this rebuild, twice? Of course it is possible, but they have at least been very accommodating during the whole process so far. My experience with the company since I complained about the tremendous delay during April-June, has been very positive, so my gut feeling here is that this issue runs deeper than just perhaps a bad rebuild.

But then, how do I explain that tapping? Was it piston slap? Or was it pistons hitting the head due to protrusion or incorrect orientation as mentioned by RossJ. Are the two issues related? Which came first? - the tapping or the scoring of bores?

Was the initial start-up of the engine unsuccessful, leading to bore wash from the word go, hence the high oil consumption due to scoring of the bores? Why no tapping from the beginning? - I first noticed very lightly at about 1000 km as I took it in for the running-in service, but not audible by Ian at the time, who assured me that it sounds just like a Landy Tdi should.

Say now the tapping was a main bearing coming loose - this would have been identified during the strip-down. But could this have been a reason for the much heavier scoring on cyl 2? More than one problem which compounded to cause the failure?

Again, I suppose I'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoFrans View Post
    Anton,
    Ek is baie bly jy het uiteindelik by Dermot uitgekom!!Goeie Indie wat TDi's verstaan.Het my vertel van die Disco met nuwe enjin wat moeg is agv. foutiewe inspuiters/tyd.Nie besef dit is jou D1 nie.Sterkte.
    Groete,
    Frans
    DiscoFrans, dankie vir jou verwysing. Ja, Dermot ken regtig sy goed en hy is ook bereid om goed vir 'n ou te verduidelik. Toe ek eers die kar ingebring het, het hy vir my alles mooi verduidelik op 'n 300 Tdi engin wat hy besig was om te herbou.

Will write in English further for the benefit of all followers.

Yes, the workshop picked up that the timing was out. And ultimately this assisted Remtec to give their verdict of bore wash due to incorrect timing. But I don't think it's as simple as all that. Not placing blame here, just trying to get my head around it all.

Think about it: the car travelled 3000 km's with decent power, pulling my trailer, much of it through Lesotho. Temperatures (esp. EGT and water) stayed WELL within limits. On the steepest slopes in Lesotho, I backed off when EGT went above 650. The alarm was set by LandyWorx for 720 so I never once triggered the alarm. Water temp stayed in the low 90's or late 80's when cruising, only once or twice reaching 95 on steep gradients in Lesotho. NEVER on the N1 or other high speed runs, did EGT or water temp EVER become a problem, and I didn't have to drive with flat foot all the way either to keep a good constant 115 km/h on the speedo.

As I understand it, faulty timing would mean loss of power, as well as hard starting, and plenty of smoke. Yet this engine started on the first turn even in Semonkong! I never had smoke in my rear view mirror and my trailer looks fine in front even after the long journey. On the last part of the return journey, the tapping became a cause for concern because it was constant and audible, NOT because of any difference in driveability.

There was a "sudden" drop in performance, rise in EGT and plenty of smoke, on the way back from the indy when I went in to ask about the tapping. So I personally believe, given the clear evidence that the timing WAS out, that perhaps the belt slipped a tooth there. Why? More questions than answers.

Again, what could have happened was: excessive blow-by due to scored pistons/incorrectly seated rings; eventually front crank or cam seals began leaking oil, some got on timing belt, belt slipped a tooth, ... I just don't know. I accept Remtec's verdict as we have to just move on from here, but I'm not easy in my mind that they really have provided the correct answer as to WHY? - and therefore how to prevent this happening again.

Again, what about the injectors. Let me share a little story here as it actually reflects well on Peter at LandyWorx. When the motor was installed at the beginning of July, startup was to occur on the Thursday morning. Peter told me a bit sheepishly that they had lost my injectors (which were basically brand new by the way), and that he was ordering me brand new ones at their cost. Now firstly, we know on this forum the reputation Peter has for his integrity. Secondly, I followed up with LP4A when I got back, and they confirmed that they sold LandyWorx the 4 injectors on that day. So the failure cannot possibly be due to faulty injectors (e.g. dripping, etc.), which is usually how bore wash occurs.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast