Default Ssangyong servicing

Hi guys,
    I have a 2006 Korando that I need to get serviced – where does everyone get their cars (particularly the older ones) serviced? Can anyone recommend a reliable mechanic/workshop for me? I’m in the Northriding area, so it needs to be as close to there as possible.

Thanks
    BD

I am very happy with Willie at Ssangkor in Pretoria
    There is a guy in Honeydew (?), Graham? Maybe other forumites can advise, but he is well regarded
    Sephulamthetho (Cory Voigt)
    'The cut worm forgives the plough'

Hi BrusselSprout,
    Go to:
    Grahame Wilkinson
    Cell: 083 263 9079
    Tel/Fax: 27 11 794-8086
    [email protected]
    http://phoenixauto.co.za

I've dealt with him quite a lot recently (shocks, tie-rod, upper arm bushes etc.). I'm very happy and he is a really nice guy too. He is in Honeydew.
    I have a Korando 2.9Tdi KJ 2005.
    2005 Korando 2.9Tdi

Excellent... thanks Zoran

Hi BrussleSprout,
    Apologies if you already know all of this below. I didn't.

Have Graham specifically check the front wheel bearings for play. I didn't know the front wheel bearings are SUPPOSED to be adjusted and couldn't get the wheel alignment right because of that for a long time.

The technicians would adjust everything as it should be but the car would still pull to one side (usually left) after going over a speed bump.

Also, the upper control arm bushes were completely perished on my Korando and I had that changed too. I can't tell you what a difference it makes!!!

The play in the wheel bearings and worn bushes badly affected the ABS system and braking. The improvement is dramatic (in my case! - maybe your Korando is in better condition).

Adjusting the wheel bearings took them around 20-30 minutes and upper arm control bushes 4-5 hours.

For wheel alignment, go to Lombard Tires just behind Pick n Pay (opposite Rock Cottage centre). Ask for Craig. I've already been everywhere else.

Also, if you haven't done it already, replace all the vacuum pipes. The slightest leak affects your clutch, brakes and lot of other things. I've got some spare pipes left and you're welcome to have it (I'm in Randpark Ridge ext.4 - pm me).

Cheers
    2005 Korando 2.9Tdi

Zoran,
    I went through to Grahame yesterday afternoon… I needed a glowplug changed. He’s a pleasure to deal with and you can tell he knows his stuff – I can definitely recommend him to anyone else.

I’m currently on 127000 km, so I’ll take it through to him for the 130000km service and ask him to go through the items on your list while he’s at it.

At the beginning of the year I had the front wheel bearings changed, but since that and before I haven’t had any steering, tracking or ABS issues… since the bearings were changed there has been a (very) intermittent rattle coming from the front left (as seldom as once or twice a month). If I engage the 4WD, the rattle goes away, then put it back in 2WD and its gone… I can only imagine that when the guys did the bearings, something wasn’t put back correctly. (that work was done at Car Service City Fourways)
    When I did a 4x4 track in Feb, there was a clunking that came from the same corner when the 4WD was engaged for a while, but I haven’t been able to reproduce the noise since. Don’t know if you’ve had something similar with your wheel/tracking/control arm issues?

Hi BrusselSprout,
    My knowledge of cars is very limited but I can tell you my experiences and hope that might help you.

I had some weird noises coming from the front of the car and it turned out the vacuum pipes were leaking and 4x4 was trying to engage but couldn't. But would make some really strange noises trying to engage/disengage. Or it would half engage and then suddenly there was a big clonk sound and then it was OK (or not). Gave me a fright first time I heard it. Sometimes it was fine and then it would do it again. Eventually, 4x4 wouldn't engage at all. Went to Graham and he changed some vacuum valve and it was better.

2-3 months ago I finally had enough and changed every single vacuum pipe I could find (and fuel lines too). No more problems and just the usual click when 4x4 engages. Other problems because of leaking vacuum pipes: clutch pedal goes soft, brake pedal going hard when car not driving, idling issues etc. Basically, almost everything is connected to the vacuum system. Clutch is fine now, brakes were never better, the car goes like a dream.

When I bought the car, there was a problem with an o-ring (again for that stupid vacuum system) on the hub and it wouldn't engage 4x4 (also making funny noises). Apparently, it gets pinched or something. That was fixed at Ssangyong (only had the car for a week).

There were a lot of different noises coming from the worn upper control arm bushes but I couldn't figure out what it was or where they were coming from (with my very limited knowledge!). Actually, at one place it was just metal on metal but the biggest issue was the car swerving under hard(er) braking. It didn't make a difference if I was in 4x4 or not but the noises were more noticeable when going over obstacles. But then, my wheel bearings were also a bit loose?! Now (almost) all the weird noises are gone.

As for your wheel bearings, I would still let Graham check them and maybe adjust them again. Just in case, although it could be many other things causing the noise. In my case, I'm constantly tightening something or other (I do a fair bit of offroading). To check the upper control arm bushes takes literally 20 seconds when you know what to look for so they can do it immediately when you're there.

I had my glow plugs changed at exactly 80000km. My mechanic put NGK and they only lasted about 15000km or less. Then I found out about Graham he put some OEM glow plugs. I'm on 121000km now and they seem fine. Wish I knew and used him earlier!

By the way, I've made up a new bash plate for my Korando a few months ago. The original one was badly damaged (not really great to start with)! If you want to make it you can download the drawings from my Dropbox (or from the link below on this website). Any metal shop should be able to cut and bend it for you.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...sh%20Plate.zip

You can see it this thread (and download).
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...68#post2643068
    Now it has been tested thoroughly and it works well. I still managed to break my tie-rod though!

As I mentioned, my knowledge is very limited but if I can help in any way, please let me know.
    2005 Korando 2.9Tdi