Kaokoland south to north from the Hoanib

Default Kaokoland south to north from the Hoanib

Hi
    We plan to travel northwards from Purros to the Marienfluss in July. Before that we want to approach Purros from the south after travelling over the Ganias Plains (from south to north). I heard that it is tough going this way, as opposed to the more popular drive from north to south. They say tge corrugation is much worse. Is this true? Any advice?

There are always corrugations, some bad, some not so bad. The really bad ones are on the D3707 between Puros and Orupembe. If you are worried about uncomfortable driving conditions, corrugations, rocks, sand, the Kaokoveld is not for you. The other tricky bit of driving is Red Drum Pass, between the Marble Mine and the Marienfluss.

Chris

Chris & Liz Card (Land Rover Defender Tdi (N104 625W) & 1928 4.5L Bentley in UK) Drive safe - better to arrive late, than dead on time.
    .............leaving only footprints.

Are you planning on doing Van Zyl's pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Danie Gouws View Post
    Hi
    We plan to travel northwards from Purros to the Marienfluss in July. Before that we want to approach Purros from the south after travelling over the Ganias Plains (from south to north). I heard that it is tough going this way, as opposed to the more popular drive from north to south. They say tge corrugation is much worse. Is this true? Any advice?

Hi Chris, thanks for the info. I've already been through Kaokoland and I'm well aware of the corrygations, rock and sand. It's just that I previously drove an "anti-clockwise route" including Kunene River Lodge, Epupa, Rooidrom Pass and down to Purros and through the Hoariseb and over the Ganias Plains downwards. This time I plan a clockwise route (excluding Van Zyl's Pass ofcourse). Someone mentioned that the corrugations are worse doing it that way. I personally doubt that, but I just wanted to check.
    Last edited by Danie Gouws; 2015/05/06 at 01:01 PM.

Hi Jaco, nee, ons gaan nie oor Van Zyl's nie.
    Groetnis
    Danie
    Last edited by Danie Gouws; 2015/05/06 at 12:59 PM.

I think corrugations are corrugations whichever way you drive them! Soften your tyres a bit, adjust your speed and hope the windscreen doesn't fall out!

Just loading the car up, and Liz and I are heading that way tomorrow morning.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Chris & Liz Card (Land Rover Defender Tdi (N104 625W) & 1928 4.5L Bentley in UK) Drive safe - better to arrive late, than dead on time.

I drove from Orupembe to Purros to Orpembe in January this year and the road condition was not that bad. A bit corrugated the first 40km from Orupembe and from thereon just a few bad patches, but that's about it.

+1 On Chris's advice to lower your tyre pressure.

Thanks Cgris abd Damasel - much appreciated! Enjoy Nam Chris!

Danie dink ook aan die Crofters 4x4 trail via Palmwag. Werklik 'n baie mooi gebied en nie so erg 4x4 nie,

Geniet jul trippie
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    4x4 Isuzu NPS 300 met kamper
    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Card View Post
    Just loading the car up, and Liz and I are heading that way tomorrow morning.
    Chris
    Have a good one, Chris and Liz - send my best regards to any of our mutual friends you see up there, you know who they are!

Default Hoarusib

Be a bit carefull if you are travelling the Huarusib between Schoemans and Puros, it was still no go (for us anyway) 5 days ago, very boggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Have a good one, Chris and Liz - send my best regards to any of our mutual friends you see up there, you know who they are!
    Hi Tony,

Saw Garth and Margie a couple of weeks ago, both well, also Pieter Mostert (you may not know him). Pieter's been helping Chris Eyre, who is very sick - he's now back in Opowo, and Koos Vervey is keeping an eye on him there.

The rhino poaching seems to have died down in Damaraland and the poachers have moved into western Etosha. The Damaraland rhino have been dehorned and, hopefully, that will help. The worry is, however, that they kill them anyway so they don't have to waste time tracking them again.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boyd View Post
    Be a bit carefull if you are travelling the Huarusib between Schoemans and Puros, it was still no go (for us anyway) 5 days ago, very boggy.
    Thanks Mike. We're leaving 4 July, so things should have settled by then. Will however check before we go.
    Regards
    Danie

Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    Danie dink ook aan die Crofters 4x4 trail via Palmwag. Werklik 'n baie mooi gebied en nie so erg 4x4 nie,

Geniet jul trippie
    Dankie Elize!
    Groetnis
    Danie