Namaqualand flowers

Default Namaqualand flowers

Good afternoon. During September my wife and I together with another couple are planning a three week camping holiday touring from Durban to Rhodes, Camdeboo National Park, the Karoo National Park, Namaqualand, Augrabies Falls National Park and finally Kgalagadi National Park before returning home via Kimberly. Apart from Namaqualand most of our arrangements are already made.

What I'd really appreciate are some recommendations on good camping spots in the flower region. Ideally we would like to find a nice camp for three nights which is within the area bounded by Springbok, Kamieskroon, Nieuwoudville and Loeriesfontein. Clean ablutions, hot and cold showers and power points are non negotiable but a camp with pleasant surroundings in which we can enjoy our sundowners and braais would be an added bonus.

Looking forward to some feedback.

Regards, Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don P View Post
    Good afternoon. During September my wife and I together with another couple are planning a three week camping holiday touring from Durban to Rhodes, Camdeboo National Park, the Karoo National Park, Namaqualand, Augrabies Falls National Park and finally Kgalagadi National Park before returning home via Kimberly. Apart from Namaqualand most of our arrangements are already made.

What I'd really appreciate are some recommendations on good camping spots in the flower region. Ideally we would like to find a nice camp for three nights which is within the area bounded by Springbok, Kamieskroon, Nieuwoudville and Loeriesfontein. Clean ablutions, hot and cold showers and power points are non negotiable but a camp with pleasant surroundings in which we can enjoy our sundowners and braais would be an added bonus.

Looking forward to some feedback.

Regards, Don
    Springbok Caravan Park is set at the foot of a mountain slope.Has power,clean ablutions with hot showers.

Thanks Roy. Ideally we'd like to be based a little further south but we'll bear your comments in mind. Regards, Don

I would say Vanrhynsdorp would be the best location to settle down. From there you can drive to Nieuwoudville, Loeriesfontein, north on the N7 to Garies, Kamieskroon ect. Around Maskamberg you will find great spots for flower viewing. You can even drive to Clanwilliam or to the Biedouw Valley - a must for flowers.

I hope you are planning to visit Namaqualand early in Sept as I believe that the best (depending on the rains) time for flowers is the last 2 weeks of August.

The Waterval-oord (http://lekkerkampplekke.co.za/Kampplek/waterval-oord/) is great for camping, but 35km on gravel road from Vanrhynsdorp which make it not so central for flower viewing, but still beautiful.

Oasis Country Lodge (camping) in Klawer (22km from vanrhynsdorp) is also nice.

The caravan park in Vanrhynsdorp is 1km out of town. Green grass and shade... not sure about the ablution.
    http://www.vanrhynsdorpcaravanpark.co.za

Enjoy!
    Stefan
    Cape Town
    Toyota Prado

I agree about timing - mid to end August is the best bet.

Depends on the weather though. I would aim for August 30 at the latest.
    September could be too late for the main showing.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Don P View Post
    Thanks Roy. Ideally we'd like to be based a little further south but we'll bear your comments in mind. Regards, Don
    Don if you are doing Nieuwoudville, Van Rhynsdotp etc you have not visited Namaqualand yet. Namaqualand only start at Garies.

You are 100% correct. But the other regions such as Nieuwoudville, Biedouw, Clanwilliam and Vanrhynsdorp also deliver beautiful flowers that is worth visiting.
    Stefan
    Cape Town
    Toyota Prado

Hi Stefan. Thanks for your reply and for going to the trouble to provide the info that you did. I'm meeting with the other couple we're holidaying with tomorrow and we'll definitely consider some of your suggestions. regards, Don