Trip advice from Maun to Kasane via Moremi and Chobe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trip advice from Maun to Kasane via Moremi and Chobe

Firstly I want to say that 4x4community.co.za is an absolute encyclopaedia of selfdrive knowledge.

I'm a newbie here as you can see from my posts. I've been reading a lot in this forum and the internet, but I still would like some input, if possible.

4 of us will be in Botswana in 3 weeks and travelling from Maun to Kasane, via Moremi and Chobe. We'll be staying a couple of nights in Third Bridge and 1 night in Savuti. These are booked already.

We'll be driving a Toyota Hilux 3.0 4x4 double cab. We'll have Tracks4Africa maps and GPS for navigation.

The questions are:

1 - How long will the journey take from Maun to 3rd bridge?

2 - We have a fuel capacity of 140L. Is this enough for the journey?

3 - What's the best route to take to avoid long patches of deep sand or deep water?

4 - How can I check the conditions of the road or roughly how they'll be towards the end of May?

5 - As the camps are unfenced how do you manage to cook or go for a pee in the campsite or, even more importantly on the road, etc? Are there any areas of rest along the route?

6 - Any food supplies that would recommend for a 4 day in the bush?

If you also share any extra advice for a newbie on this route would be great.

Manny thanks for your help.

Jo

Hi Duffy seeing as you are from London.

there is no health and safety

the animals have not done the people orientation course

not all people speak English

If people do not understand you, speaking louder and slower will not help.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Now for the serious answers.

The area that you are going into depends on the weather, if it is dry you can expect an easy time, if it is wet, you can double or more the amount of time that you think.

You are going into wild animal areas. Use common sense if you need to move around when there is little to no visibility. Never go into the bush on your own, no matter how desperate you are for that pee. It is common practice to shower in daylight and stay close to your camp and/fire when it gets dark.

Make sure you prepare for mosquito's. More dangerous than big game.

If you are taking a fridge, meals prepared before hand go down well in the bush as long as you plan a way to re heat.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

Thanks Stranger for your help. didn't understand the first post

We do have a fridge, thanks for the tip about the food. I guess it's easy to stock up on supplies in Maun. Is Spar the best one?

BTW I'm not British or English, but I know what you mean
    Last edited by duffydj; 2015/05/04 at 02:29 PM.

What's the rest of the itinerary. There may be other places, or if you are starting in SA, then you have plenty choice.

Meat, best is to ask the butcher to do the cuts rather than buying off the shelf. Then get it vacuumed packed. Lasts longer if you do not freeze.

BMW R1200R

Well, we'll be coming from Namibia (Rundu), after 10 days or so in Namibia, so I guess there's not many alternatives rather than tock up in Maun before heading to Moremi? And it seems that we can't cross the border with meat..

Vacuum packed seems like a very good idea.

Yeah, Maun is your best bet. You can travel South to North but not the other way around.

The vet fences will confiscate raw meat but not cooked hence if you get the chance, do pre cooked curries or stews, vacuum packed and frozen.

BMW R1200R

where do you rent the vehicle and where do you return it? I would drive north to south, just did that,

Quote Originally Posted by duffydj View Post
    Well, we'll be coming from Namibia (Rundu), after 10 days or so in Namibia, so I guess there's not many alternatives rather than tock up in Maun before heading to Moremi? And it seems that we can't cross the border with meat..

Vacuum packed seems like a very good idea.
    I assume you are over-nighting in Maun because Rundu to 3rd Bridge via Maun is not feasible.
    Maun to 3 rd Bridge direct is approx 4.5 hours but it would be worthwhile to explore the Blackpools area around South Gate en route which will add a good few more hours.
    You can pre-order frozen vacuum packed meat from either Delta Meat Deli +267 686 1413 or Beef Boys 686 4771, both are Butchers in Maun.

Hi Botsboy. Yes, we'll be overnighting in Maun. The problem is that we're arriving on a Sunday and everything seems to be pretty much closed in the afternoon. I guess the butchers will be as well. So, we'll be heading on Monday, but a bit later that we wanted to because we have to get all the supplies and the park tickets.

Is Choppies better or cheaper than Spar in Maun? Spar is closed on sundays afternoons, can't find out if Choppies is as well.

About the route? Would like to explore the Black pools, but considering what I said above it might be difficult? How bad is the road to get there and from there to 3rd bridge?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomTom View Post
    where do you rent the vehicle and where do you return it? I would drive north to south, just did that,
    Hi ThomTom. We'll start in Namibia and finish in Kasane.

How were the roads in Moremi/ Chobe?

Savuti to Xakanaxa took us 7 hours, towing. it is slow going (after recent rains) but all doable. we stayed over two days at Savuti (to allow a middle day to see and drive around in the area. Do not make the mistake of just racing through. Do not think you can do it much faster. Why not Maun to South Gate, Black Pools early in the morning and continue on to 3 rd Bridge. Racing through Black Pools in the middle of the day will not be the best to see any game.

Choppies is cheaper but not better than Spar. Choppies will be open late Sunday I think they close 7 or 8 pm , Spar closes at 5pm Sunday if my memory is correct. Note that the bottle stores are closed on Sundays and only start trading from 10am Monday Ė Saturday.
    The routes do vary with the flood waters but the main flood hasnít reached Moremi yet so the water crossings are not too hectic. It hasnít rained for some time now so the roads themselves are dry. The Blackpools route is easy to drive.

You will find a lot of shops open on Sunday and some even untill 7.

There is also a Spar. But Choppies is nice.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

We are currently in Kasane, was in Maun last week. Your best bet for meat in Maun is a butchery called Bief Boys, the owner is Danie a guy from SA. He will freez and vacume pack for you if you have time. We ordered the morning and fetched around 3 hours later. Spar's meat looked poor in comparison, he really has nice meat.
    I don't drink water, unless it's been through a brewery first.
    You probably heard people saying Africa is not for sissies. Well, neither is it for wussy equipment.
    Man who dies with most gear wins!

All great tips. Many thanks. I was checking and Spar is only open till 1pm on Sundays in Maun.

http://www.spar.co.za/Home/Store-Fin...AR&province=14

What's good about the Blackpools? Can't find much information about it. It is really worth it?

We're going to stay in 3rd Bridge Campsite 5. Is this a good spot?

Last night I was watching a National Geographic documentary in Savuti to get my self inspired

All great tips. Many thanks. I was checking and Spar is only open till 1pm on Sundays in Maun.

http://www.spar.co.za/Home/Store-Fin...AR&province=14

What's good about the Blackpools? Can't find much information about it. It is really worth it?

We're going to stay in 3rd Bridge Campsite 5. Is this a good spot?

Last night I was watching a National Geographic documentary in Savuti to get my self inspired
    I do not like no 5 ,not too much shade and a few baboons always hang out there ,so be careful not to leave anything out side night and day .Try Delta butchery in Riley centre ,I find them better than Beef Boyz and cleaner .Spar is better than Choppies and prices are more or less the same .

Edit : Next to Spar at New Mall is a Woolies ,I buy there , products are far better and last longer in the bush .like bread etc .
    Last edited by Puma 130 ADJ; 2015/05/07 at 01:09 PM.

We just got back from a similar trip. See my answers below.

Firstly I want to say that 4x4community.co.za is an absolute encyclopaedia of selfdrive knowledge.

I'm a newbie here as you can see from my posts. I've been reading a lot in this forum and the internet, but I still would like some input, if possible.

4 of us will be in Botswana in 3 weeks and travelling from Maun to Kasane, via Moremi and Chobe. We'll be staying a couple of nights in Third Bridge and 1 night in Savuti. These are booked already.

We'll be driving a Toyota Hilux 3.0 4x4 double cab. We'll have Tracks4Africa maps and GPS for navigation.

The questions are:

1 - How long will the journey take from Maun to 3rd bridge?

We left Maun at 9AM and arrived at Xakanaxa at 3PM. This included a stop to buy wood and another long stop. We took the direct/dry route from the entrance. If you take the alternative route my guess is that you need to add 2 hours extra to take in the scenery and for game viewing. You can also reach Third Bridge via Xakanaxa but the other route is more scenic.

2 - We have a fuel capacity of 140L. Is this enough for the journey?

Should be enough. I drive a Suzuki Jimny with a 40l tank. Took 2 extra 20l jerry cans. Reached Ihaha (Chobe) with a 20l jerry can to spare and the tank just above quarter. There was no fuel in Kasane so used the extra tank for game drives. Kazangula had fuel but only accepts cash payments.

3 - What's the best route to take to avoid long patches of deep sand or deep water? Don't think you can avoid the deep sand. Best to ask about the conditions at the camp before leaving or at the next gate. We took the Khwai (more direct route) from Xakanaxa to Moremi North Gate. It was relatively dry although heavily rutted and bad from the recent rains. We then took the upper transit road to Mababe gate. There is 1 river crossing. If you keep close to the island it is about 0.6m deep - just ask at North Gate because the water levels may be rising. An alternative might be to take the cut-line back to the route from South Gate. We then took the marsh route but after +-20km decided on the Sandridge Road - the marsh road was dry but very bad - for the greatest part we could not travel faster than 20km/h. From Savuti you can continue with the road past the airstrip up to Ghoha Gate. You can then take the direct route (apparently very sandy!) or drive in the direction of Linyanti before turning North. There is also a more direct route to Chobe but we were told that it is very muddy. Even the other route had some deep mud-holes with no way around.

4 - How can I check the conditions of the road or roughly how they'll be towards the end of May? Maun Self-Drive provided intermittent updates on track conditions - http://www.maunselfdrive4x4.com/trackconditions2015.htm.

Otherwise, ask at the camps or gates before departing.

5 - As the camps are unfenced how do you manage to cook or go for a pee in the campsite or, even more importantly on the road, etc? Are there any areas of rest along the route? Yes, there are spots. Safest to drive to the ablutions at night. On two occasions our cooking got interrupted by elephants - this is part of the experience.

6 - Any food supplies that would recommend for a 4 day in the bush? Botswana has got some great well priced beef. Don't bargain on chicken.

If you also share any extra advice for a newbie on this route would be great.

Manny thanks for your help.

Jo
    Chris

Current - 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser with some extras
    Ex - 2015 Ford Ranger XL Plus 4x4 D/C P/U RSI Canopy
    Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

Quote Originally Posted by Puma 130 ADJ View Post
    I do not like no 5 ,not too much shade and a few baboons always hang out there ,so be careful not to leave anything out side night and day .Try Delta butchery in Riley centre ,I find them better than Beef Boyz and cleaner .Spar is better than Choppies and prices are more or less the same .

Edit : Next to Spar at New Mall is a Woolies ,I buy there , products are far better and last longer in the bush .like bread etc .
    Thanks. I'll check Delta as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungie View Post
    We just got back from a similar trip. See my answers below.
    That's fantastic. Many thanks for the detailed info. Not too many days to go now. Can't wait!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast