My "new" 2.5 Sorento is very thursty

Default My "new" 2.5 Sorento is very thursty

I've now filled 2 tanks after I got my "new" 2007 2.5 CRDI Sorento and man am I disappointed in the consumption. 7.5km/l to be more exact. This is not close to what all the reviews I have read before I purchase the car had said.

Most of my driving was town, but this is bad, even worse than my 2.6 Mahindra.

What consumption are other Sorento owners getting or is there something seriously wrong with my car.

BTW, this is an 5 speed auto and I drive it like a granny because I want good consumption.

Well look at the upside. It cant get much worse, so you can drive like you used to. You may even be surprised that it will deliver the same fuel consumption as your granny driving...

Well that is the mindshift I made with my 5 speed auto 3.0 ranger tdci. Drive it carefully, got 8.9km/l

Drive it like I stole it - 8.8km/l

So now by not concentration so much on consumption I even managed figures of 9.2km/l a few tanks ago.

Check your air filter. Replace if dirty - dont just clean. Also, clean air flow meter. (MAF) Google it. Then, clean out intercooler and check for leaks. Rectify if necessary. HAve EGR valve blocked off. In other words, disable the EGR system. Also, google is your friend here - but it is recommended that a good mechanic does this.

The above is relatively cheap things you can check and fix or have fixed, but the bad consumption can be caused by a lot of other more expensive faults as well. But let us not wake sleeping dogs now.

Otherwise, if all was checked, repaired and you are happy that all is well in terms of fuel pump and injectors and turbo you will just have to live with it. 7.5km/l doesn't sound right, but also do not expect 12 or 13km/l
    Last edited by leonlieb; 2015/04/29 at 08:36 PM.

I would be happy with 10km/l or 9, but 7.5, I could have gotten myself a V8 with that consumption.
    Looking at what you said.
    I did clean the Maf just after I got the car, it was very dirty, now much cleaner. Made no difference in performance though. Airfilter was clean.
    Cleaning the Intercooler, well this is a huge job as the radiator needs to come out to get the cooler out, there is a small leak on the bottom of the cooler, I see some oil accumulation where the plastic tanks and aluminium core meets. But it cannot be big enough to cause performance loss.
    Blocking the EGR was one of the first things I did when I got the car.
    Tyre's are pumped 2.5 all around. Wheel alignment done a week ago.

Car starts and idles fine, no smoke, nothing seems to be out of order. Power seems fine, except for some turbo lag in 1st, but it seems to be common to the 138Hp Sorento.

Default Thirsty Sorento

I return around 9+. Run tyres @ 2.6, and use 2so. Consider that not bad for the size and power of the engine, Plus its a high vehicle, not excactly low and sleek. But driving style and planning ahead can make a world of difference.

Shorty43

No excessive black smoke when you "floor" it? Let someone drive behind you and record on cell vid cam.

My FIL's 4.2D cruiser also suddenly used much more fuel. Did not detect the black smoke until I was driving behind him. Diagnostics reveal pump timing was incorrect. Had it done and replaced injectors. All back to normal now. He now gets 9km/l with the N/A 4.2D, but he is driving like a toppie...

Can also try to clean the banjo bolt filter. (where he fuel pipes meet the pump - usually there is a type of sieve that might need cleaning.

I do notice some smoke in the headlights behind me when flooring it from standstill, but is this not normal for a diesel, waiting for the turbo to spool.

There is no smoke when driving normally.

Does the CRDI have this Banjo bolt filter? I know on the mechanical injection pumps there is this filter.

I used to fill my Sorento up about 8 times a month now once a month +500 then I was forced to buy a second car due to a change in my working hours. The Picanto gets paid and fuelled on the savings.
    I get about 350-400 k's on a tank my tyre pressure hardly goes over 1.8 bar and I always drive balls to the wall. I enjoy my Sorento and fuel consumption is not a concern to me.
    If you floor a diesel you will see black smoke in the rear view mirror at night. I would rather stay away from fiddling with the diesel system as a leak can cost big bucks to repair. I doubt if there is a filter in the banjo bolt and if there is a filter you Sorento will let you know if it is blocked.

There should be no filters in the banjos, I never saw any on my maintenance and repairs.
    In town, that is what you can expect with an auto. My manual gave slightly better in town. Open road gave from 10-11km/liter.
    Herman Bellville
    2005 Kia Sorento EX 2.5diesel Coil Lift Kit, Body Lit Kit, 4mm Bash Plate, Rock Sliders, Wheel Spacers.

Eina,
    filled up again today. only city driving this time. 13km bumper to bumer into Pretoria CBD every day.
    40L on 231km's, this is ridiculous. How can 2.5 diesel engine use this much fuel while being driven like a granny in cbd traffic.
    Except for very bad turbo lag up to 2000rpm, the car runs fine, has recently been serviced, wheel allignment checked, tyres at 2.6, checked the cat, no clogged.
    What else could it be?

Default Re: My "new" 2.5 Sorento is very thursty

Old Thread Resurrection. Hope anyone of the previous poster are still around

My Sorento also has a bit of a drinking problem. 2008 2.5 Crdi Automatic.

When I pull off it does like to puff quite a bit of black smoke until the turbo EVENTUALLY decides to do its thing and then a lot less.

Suspect its the EGR thing causing this but ja - not sure where to go to get that hateful thing blocked off.

Starts first time every time, idles nice, runs good no strange symptoms but its really an abuser of the go-go juice. I get around 6,5 kilos to a liter in town traffic, even if I drive like Ms Daisy's older sister it doesnt improve much more than 7 km/l

Thinking of having a Lexus conversion done, I mean at least I will enjoy the sound it makes as it abuses the go-go juice, no?

How can a little 2.5 dieseltjie be this thirsty?
    Last edited by WAJ; 2019/05/02 at 09:37 AM.
    High: KIA Sorento 2.5 Crdi 4x4 - SOLD

Platkar Haaihoendaai i20 1.4