Poachers caught in KNP - with Rhino horn.

Default Poachers caught in KNP - with Rhino horn.

Some excellent news... but way to seldom and far inbetween!

http://africageographic.com/blog/kru...hino-poachers/

Police spokesperson Colonel Ronel Otto said the visitors were near the Phalaborwa gate when they spotted the suspects crossing a road on foot and alerted rangers. “A helicopter and police were called,” she said in a statement on April 26.

Rangers followed the tracks of the suspects in dense bushes and apprehended them. Otto said they seized a .458 hunting rifle, ammunition, a knife, two mobile phones and four rhino horns.

“Two of the horns were relatively fresh and the other two were already old,” she said. Rangers were trying to locate the rhino carcasses.
    The two suspects were due to appear in the Phalaborwa Magistrate’s Court today, April 28.
    Work. It's a wealthy man's privilege, and a poor man' fate....

André Opperman

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    The two suspects were due to appear in the Phalaborwa Magistrate’s Court today, April 28.[/I]
    I don't see the point.
    Give each poacher a 3" blade, no other equipment, and offer him R1 000 000 for a rhino horn, he may not leave the park until he has delivered 1 Rhino horn.

Nature will deliver it's sentence.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

The poachers must have either been very dim or very brazen to cross the road in front of a vehicle.

I can't reveal my source, but he is close to the action in Kruger.

He said the situation is utterly hopeless. All the SADF do is fly the helicopter and process carcasses for forensic evidence. Park rangers are afraid to shoot for fear of murder charges.

The situation is as bad as it can get, and we are loosing the war. Remember that Kruger has the highest presence of SANDF and has huge funds from Warren Buffet.
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5301&dateline=1335341  324
    JK-2.8,KJ-2.5,JK-3.8,KB-300,GV-V6,KB6

I must say, was on the Mokhohlolo Camp two weeks back (with the Honorary Rangers), this is a very exclusive opportunity to see the inside background workings of the Rangers and the like.

These guys do an AMAZING job and put a LOT of effort into the conservation, tracking of poachers and Rhino.

We had the fortunate privilege to see a recovered poachers bag and axe - very interesting contents inside -cannot divulge as this will be kept for evidence....these poachers scrammed and left these items behind....the rangers stopped in camp just after recovering the items to show us - AMAZING
    Last edited by Nutsman; 2015/04/29 at 12:15 PM.
    2010 Toyota Fortuner 3.0D4D 4x4
    Front Mount Intercooler / 76mm Exhaust / "Veri-Peri" Remote map Dastek chip - SAC / RAW4x4 Predator Suspension(HDP Shocks) / DIY Roof Rack / 265/70R17 BFG AT Ko2 / Frontrunner Rocksliders / Excel Long range Tank / Ironman Front Bumper / DIY Rear bumper with sparewheel carriers / DIY Centre Console / OOMS se Canvas Dash & Sparewheel covers ......what is next?
    2014 Toyota 3.0D4D Extracab
    Soos hy van sy Ma af kom
    2012 BMW X1 2.0D S-Drive
    Adrie's fuelsaver....[/B]
    All covered by:TUFFSTUFF INSURANCE PRODUCT

Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post
    ... he may not leave the park until he has delivered 1 Rhino horn.
    Herein lies the problem. They come and go as they wish...

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    The poachers must have either been very dim or very brazen to cross the road in front of a vehicle.
    They are getting very brazen. The rewards are just to irresistible, and the risk is not very high at the moment. Read what Bugs says below....

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    I can't reveal my source, but he is close to the action in Kruger.

He said the situation is utterly hopeless. All the SADF do is fly the helicopter and process carcasses for forensic evidence. Park rangers are afraid to shoot for fear of murder charges.

The situation is as bad as it can get, and we are loosing the war. Remember that Kruger has the highest presence of SANDF and has huge funds from Warren Buffet.
    Taking it from all the other threads on the current state of SANDF they cannot be much of a deterrant.
    Work. It's a wealthy man's privilege, and a poor man' fate....

André Opperman

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

As far as we appreciate the good news on the subject as little can I see the point of this encrypted information like " - very interesting contents inside -cannot divulge as this will be kept for evidence..."

What can one do with this statement, which says exactly nil

What could the content of the bag be: booze, weapons, loot, communication equipment, tools, clothes, food, ammo, spare parts or ladies undies ........

In fact just about anything .. well
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    As far as we appreciate the good news on the subject as little can I see the point of this encrypted information like " - very interesting contents inside -cannot divulge as this will be kept for evidence..."

What can one do with this statement, which says exactly nil

What could the content of the bag be: booze, weapons, loot, communication equipment, tools, clothes, food, ammo, spare parts or ladies undies ........

In fact just about anything .. well
    As you said above...

Vodka for mosquitos, torch, cell phone, water - lots of it..."etc"
    2010 Toyota Fortuner 3.0D4D 4x4
    Front Mount Intercooler / 76mm Exhaust / "Veri-Peri" Remote map Dastek chip - SAC / RAW4x4 Predator Suspension(HDP Shocks) / DIY Roof Rack / 265/70R17 BFG AT Ko2 / Frontrunner Rocksliders / Excel Long range Tank / Ironman Front Bumper / DIY Rear bumper with sparewheel carriers / DIY Centre Console / OOMS se Canvas Dash & Sparewheel covers ......what is next?
    2014 Toyota 3.0D4D Extracab
    Soos hy van sy Ma af kom
    2012 BMW X1 2.0D S-Drive
    Adrie's fuelsaver....[/B]
    All covered by:TUFFSTUFF INSURANCE PRODUCT

Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    “A helicopter and police were called,” [/I]
    pity the choppers don't have 20mm cannons any more..

I have just received this email...

28 Rhino Poaching Suspects Arrested in KNP in April

South African National Parks (SANParks) today announced the arrest of a further six suspected poachers and wounding of one in two separate operations. In the first operation, in the Stolsnek section – south of the park, Rangers with close helicopter and dog unit reaction support arrested three suspects and recovered a firearm, ammunition and two freshly chopped off rhino horns.

In the second operation in the Phalaborwa section – north of the park, a further three suspects were arrested and one wounded and is receiving medical attention under police guard. A rifle, ammunition and illegal hunting equipment were also recovered.

According to SANParks spokesperson, Reynold Thakhuli, these arrests follow a full month of successful operations, resulting in 28 suspected poachers being taken into custody for the month of April alone. “The latest arrests bring the total for the year within the KNP to 62 arrests.”

He said SANParks together with its partners SA Police Services and SA National Defense Force are focused on winning this war at all costs… “and we will leave nothing to chance in protecting our rhino in this iconic park and in our other national parks,” said Thakhuli.

Ends…
    So arrests and all - poaching continues..
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5301&dateline=1335341  324

To expand on the above post. They have arrested half the total number of poachers of this whole year in one month..

Does this mean that they have become more efficient or that the number of poachers are so large, that they are falling out of every tree.

To add, arresting poachers is all good and well, but in the context of the problem, they are disposable and renewable. They are simply replaced by and its business as usual. What we need is to capture people in the next tier.

Cut off the poachers "horn" and send him back to his mates with a "horn" in each hand - they'll soon learn if you want to keep your "horn" - stay away from our rhino's.
    Last edited by Pieter Hugo; 2015/04/30 at 06:30 PM.
    2007 Land Rover Freelander 2. Not my best - my only!

2006 VW Jetta 5 2.0 Tdi

Bush Lapa Vlooi - SOLD!