MTB - where to start

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default MTB - where to start

The MTB bug has bitten my son (10) and now dad also needs to ride.
    both for exercise and in races as chaperone.

We have been going at it for 2 months and my 14 yo fixed fork Raleigh is not up to scratch no more!

I have been trying to get around all this MTB jargon but there are so many views on what is best i want it condensed into easier pieces!

First and foremost Wheelsize.
    There are 3 sizes: 26" 27.5" 29"
    What are the real Pro's and Con's to the different sizes?

Frame size
    At an average hight of 181cm you would think that there would be a framesize that is spesific for my lenght.
    BUT no! Different Sizing Charts returns frame size of anything from Medium to XL! most however settles on L (19"-20") Is this coorect?

NOW FOR THE BIGGY

Budget is R6500 - R7,500(Absolute MAX)
    I have looked at quite a lot of bikes, but that just confuses me more!

What would be sugested? what do I look for?
    Coenraad Basson

Hilux D/C 3.0 D4D

Prado 4.0 V6 Auto VX

For that price I would say a good second hand 26 inch. Large will probably be best. Look on thehubsa.co.za
    Problem is second hand is always a risk as the drivetrain could be worn out and you may not know what to look for.
    If you find the right deal you could end up with a great bike.
    Jonathan
    Fortuner D4D 4x4 - stuff and things added

Die goed het nie enjins nie, Coenraad, so dit sal nie start nie, al sit jy 2SO by.
    Last edited by ThysleRoux; 2015/04/29 at 11:35 AM.

Try this for a starting point.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za...-bike-new.html

You'll be able to get one the right size and it should be covered by basic warranty.

I've had the old 26er version of that for almost 8years, it has been a great bike.

Your height should put you on a large frame (19inch). I would only look at 29er at this stage, purely from a comfort stand point, they roll over things easier. I've found most trails have such short technical sections that the argument for the agility a 26er offers is not really relevant.
    Last edited by DJ Payne; 2015/04/29 at 11:45 AM.
    Devin

2009 Volvo XC60 D5 Auto (Sold )

At that price point, you won't be getting much. Wheel size depends on what you want to do with it. The smaller the wheel, the more agile the bike if you want to keep it basic.

But for the price you probably won't get much in a 27,5 or 29er. Cheapest "best" 29er I know of would be the Silverback Sola 4. Maybe you can get one somewhere in your budget?? Maybe 1 year old, or old stock of 2014?? Or maybe the Merida big nine/seven 300?
    2014 Isuzu KB6 300 Double Cab 4x4
    2008 Isuzu KB300 Extended Cab 4x2 - EX

Decide what you want and read up a bit. A bike built to a price is always a compromise. Get a great frame and they will skimp on parts/wheels, etc.

I would always want a pretty decent frame. Find out what a decent fork costs. At that price point dual suspension is out of the question. I would rather have a good rigid frame and rigid fork than a cheap rubbish fork that has been put on there to meet a marketing objective.

You will see that you are probably looking at around 3k+ just for a decent fork which means that there is not much to go around for everything else. Also groupsets make a big difference. I would try and ride a few bits and see which feel okay. Do some research on which forks seem good. Then start to look around and find out what you think will realistically meet your needs.

I would rather wait and spend a little more and get a keeper, than buy something that will irritate you. Also second hand is not always a bad thing, but as mentioned the groupset can wear out quickly, especially if riddden in mud a lot and this could cost you some moola to set right.

Basically try not to be swayed by the looks and rather look at the quality you are getting. Also you will pay more for a name like scott than raleigh but probably not get much difference in engineering terms.

just my thoughts.

Cheers
    Stephen

Gaan chat met die ouens by Flandria (as hulle nog bestaan). Die Lemmer broers het altyd daar gewerk en hulle ken van fietse. Vertel hulle presies wat julle wil doen en kyk wat hulle het.
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

Bly weg van 26 dis oud, try 2de hands 29er, ry baie lekkerder as 26ers, ek is 1.80 en n med so glo n large sal reg wees vir jou. ek sal gou try kyk op die hub vir n bike.
    Amarok Bitdi 8spd Auto
    General Grabbers
    Starting with the mods

Jeep Wrangler JK 2dr
    Cooper STT Pro 33's
    Maniac Bumper
    Poisen spider rock slider
    1 No Petrol card

Amarok Bitdi 8spd Auto
    General Grabbers
    Starting with the mods

Jeep Wrangler JK 2dr
    Cooper STT Pro 33's
    Maniac Bumper
    Poisen spider rock slider
    1 No Petrol card

4x4Freak - probleem met fietse op theHub is die goed is te duur.

Smaak my ek sla maar weer met alwyn by Flandria geen praat.
    Coenraad Basson

Hilux D/C 3.0 D4D

Prado 4.0 V6 Auto VX

Ek sou nie 26" oorweeg nie. Gaan vir 29" of as jy rerig moet vir 27.5" (650b), en soek 'n 2de-handse een dat jy darem disk brakes en bietjie beter components kan kry. Ek het onlangs vir my vrou 'n Scott Aspect 27.5" gekoop vir R5000 - een jaar oud en spotless - ek is seker jy sal die regte een kry as jy rondsoek.

2014 Amarok DC 4Motion Auto
    Conqueror Conquest

I upgraded from a 26" to a 29er and couldn't be happier. I bought mine 2nd hand but was fortunate enough that it was a customer of my bike mechanic. He had done all the work to it from new so knew the bike really well. There are good deals out there you just have to be prepared to wait.
    I don't do much technical riding but do a lot of mileage on dirt roads. If you can wait a bit then try and get your budget up to at least 10k you will get a much better setup. Titan are making good bikes these days and you should be able to get a new 29er for around that price. Try and get forks that are air sprung as opposed to coils as this will help with the weight. I had a hardtail but now have rear suspension, soooo much better when going over the rough stuff. Start with a good frame and forks, everything else can be upgraded as and when required.

Quote Originally Posted by PierreJJ View Post
    Ek het onlangs vir my vrou 'n Scott Aspect 27.5" gekoop vir R5000 - een jaar oud en spotless - ek is seker jy sal die regte een kry as jy rondsoek.
    I know almost nothing about bikes but bought one of these the other day (new) for R8k. To me, seemed to be decent for the amount of money.

Silverback sola..Very good value for money.Do yourself a favour and get the tubless tyres from the start,even though it costs a packet.

Wat is die algemene indruk met
    MERIDA BIG NINE 300 - Kan een kry vir R7500
    Merida Big nine 40 - R5550

Titan 29 Expert - R6700

Silverback Spektra - R6999

Scott Accent 940 - R8000
    Coenraad Basson

Hilux D/C 3.0 D4D

Prado 4.0 V6 Auto VX

Merida of silverback..As jy dit rerig geniet dan klim jy eerder dan n stappie hoer na die duurder fietse..Hierdie 2 sal jou alles bied wat jy nodig het totdat jy besluit waarnatoe jy met die sport wil gaan

Moenie jou te veel steur aan die fabrikaat nie, daar is nie sommer meer swak rame in die bedryf nie.
    Die duur goed is gewoonlik SLX vs XT vs XTR wat aangebout word - op ons vlak maak dit weinig verskil.
    Persoonlik dink ek 26'ers is iets van die verlede maar dit beteken dat jy 'n baie goeie fiets vir relatief min geld kan opspoor.
    Die goeie nuus is dat jou laaitie nie 'n sitkamerakkedis is nie en buite wil wees
    En die beste singletrack loop reg langs my huis verby, koop jou fiets en kom kuier.

Hilux Legend 40 4.0 V6 DC 4x4

Regarding the frame size, they actually differ quite a bit from one brand to the next. My Scott was a medium and now my Pyga is a large. Given your height, I'd say you'll have to get a large or XL depending on the specific brand and geometry.

Scott makes great bikes but they're aftersales service in SA sucks. It took them over 8 weeks to replace a chain stay on my bike. I can't comment on the others though.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

A good place to start would also be the Mountain Biking & Cycling section under Hobbies on this forum...
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Nou gaan jou beursie pak kry. Dit eindig nooit nie.

Ek geniet nog my 26er gate uit. Het nog nie 'n 29er gekry wat rats genoeg en vinnig genoeg sy wiele optel nie na my smaak nie. Maar dis n smaak ding. As jy grond paaie en km's wil grind is die 29er beter. As jy van tegniese draaie en wilde roetes hou is 275 beter, en 26 die beste (maar die mense met groot wiele sal dit nie erken nie.) So dit gaan meer oor wat jy wil doen met die bicycle.

Ek reken in jou prysklas en in jou budget is hulle maar almal dieselfde. Vurke is almal Suntour, en die brieke is almal entry level hydraulics.
    Dit sal almal lekker werk en fine wees. Ry die parte en bike in sy tjops, en dan dink jy aan upgrade.

jy is defs n large, en dalk 'n XL. EK is 1.86 en verkies 'n XL (maar ry huidiglik n large)

Dis ongelukkig moeilik om tweede hands te koop as jy nie fietse goed ken nie. Ek persoonlik het in 2003 laas 'n fiets nuut geken, en daar met geduld kry mens altyd 'n bargain.

Die heel belangrikste, as jy eers die fiets het, geniet dit. Ry omdat dit lekker is. wees laf, gaan speel, jol rond, dice jou pelle, jaag deur die modder en doen net wat jy wil. Moenie jou ore uitleen aan elke tweede perd wat al die epic gedoen het en dink hy weet alles nie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast