Sumbawabga, buying meat and groceries?

Default Sumbawabga, buying meat and groceries?

Hello,

We are going to drive from Mbala (Zambia) to Sumbawanga.
    Here we will sleep at Mbilizi forest hotel ( still looking for the adress, maybe some body can help me) after that we will be going to Katavi and we would like to buy our groceries in Sumbawanga.

Is there a supermarket at Subawanga?
    Is there a place where we can buy good meat?

Hope somebody can answer my questions, would be great.

Default Sumbawanga

Sylvia

Sumbawanga is a remote town. If you are looking for a supermarket, you won't find one. However, there are some local shops where you can pick up some basic supplies, and a market for fruit, veg and pulses (and some fly-blown meat in kiosks). We found some frozen Kenyan meat products (beef sausages) at one of the Muslim shops in the town. There is a meat wholesaler just on the outskirts of the town, but it wasn't open when we went there. I think it is called Safi Meats.

Most people stay at either Forestway Country Lodge, or the Moravian mission in Sumbawanga. I haven't heard of Mbilizi Forest Hotel.

Be aware that SW Tanzania is remote and little visited. It is not like South Africa, Botswana or Nambia. The last supermarket you will encounter is in Kasama, Zambia - and there isn't another one until Dar-es-Salaam, Arusha, Nairobi, Kigali or Kampala.

Hello Wazungu,

Thanks for the reaction.
    After an internet search I found this supermarket; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Farid...15692548609918

On tracks for Africa they have a page for a pick and pay in Sumbawanga. I don t think that s correct, but maybe the Fairid super markt is a good one.

From the Bradt guide; Mbizi Forest Hotel (10 rooms) Tel 025 280 2746. This simple but clean new lodge on Meku Bar Street is probably the best in town, with a good garden bar and restaurant. It charges US$10/15 B&B for an en-suite single/double with TV

Depends what you call a supermarket. That is a shop. There most certainly isn't a South African Pick 'n Pay in Sumbawanga, but there may be a shop calling itself Pick 'n Pay. There is, after all, various Harrods, Selfridges and other well-known names scattered throughout the developing world, but they are a world away from the ones in London, Paris, New York, Amsterdam and, dare I say it, South Africa.

Good luck with your shopping...

Thanks Wazaungu

In 2013 there was one small shop with international products including bear and wine from around the world. We couldn't believe what they offered in this area but no supermarket.

Be aware of save parking for your car during the night. The Moravian mission has it including cheap good meals but without alcoholic drinks.

I think Mr Farid of Sumbawanga is posting photos of his dream shop. There is definitely nothing looking remotely like those photos anywhere in Sumbawanga - or elsewhere in SW Tanzania. If you really want advice on the local shops, ask Louise Horsfall of Lakeshore Lodge, Kipili where she gets her supplies. We did and went to the market and another small "duka" as per her advice.

I made the trip in 2000. With some planning you can go the distance with a frig/freezer, packing the things you won't be able to pickup at remote 'stores', and the basics you can restock along the way. Scrawny chickens, beer and bottled water included. You'll survive just fine as long as you don't have vehicle issues. I managed in a series landy.

If you change money at the bank in Sumbawanga, they should be able to tell you where to get 3rd party insurance. That's how we got ours. Ask customs also. It was easier in Tanzania then the runaround leaving Zambia.