Best campsite for Moremi?

Default Best campsite for Moremi?

My top choice would probably be Third Bridge (I hope to get 4 nights in july 2016), it seems to be the most popular and I guess it is in a good game viewing area. But what about Xakanaxa, Kwai Community or (the almost new) Dijara campsite?
    I read some good info about all of the camps, so it is really hard to decide. I am travelling with kids, so the idea of staying in one place is mainly because of them.
    Which campsite is in the best game viewing area?? That could help me decide.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRon View Post
    My top choice would probably be Third Bridge (I hope to get 4 nights in july 2016), it seems to be the most popular and I guess it is in a good game viewing area. But what about Xakanaxa, Kwai Community or (the almost new) Dijara campsite?
    I read some good info about all of the camps, so it is really hard to decide. I am travelling with kids, so the idea of staying in one place is mainly because of them.
    Which campsite is in the best game viewing area?? That could help me decide.
    Hi JayRon,

Was in all three sites for 4 nights July 2014....and all are fantastic
    Third Bridge;
    A huge pack of wild dogs in front of the camp and enjoyed every day watching them playing at sunset.
    Lions at night in camp and my night cam took pictures each night from the hyena stayed at camp 4.
    Ablutions are all ok.
    I have read negative reviews about overbooked parks and sharing your campsites with others…I have not experienced something like this.

Xakanaxa
    Beautiful area elephants at our site each day, in the night hippo’s crossing in our camp. During game drives nearby leopard sightings.
    Ablutions are all good and clean.
    The boot trips on the river are very good, I have read on the net this is the better place.

Khwai

For us this was the better one we had a spot at number 7 at the river and where very lucky with the amount of game in at and around the camp. At night this place was getting alive pfff lions at the camp lots of noises between pack of hyenas and lions. Hippo with baby just in front at the river. Large pride of baboons given you a wakeup call.

Now Jay did I help you…..don’t think so.
    The good thing is all of them are great my pick would be………
    1) Kkwai
    2) Third bridge
    3) 3) Xakanxa
    BTW will go back this year in October to all three of them…. YES!!!

Jpseekles, you did help me ! I just need a longer vacation but thank for your detailed response..

I know it is just a matter of luck, but lions and hyenas around camp would just be fascinating. Even my wife would prefer this over elephants, she seems to be a magnet for the most crazy ones, so I guess Xakanaxa stays at the bottom of our list

Hmmm. ... Decisions decisions!!

And lucky you, I will be looking forward to a trip report
    Last edited by JayRon; 2015/04/27 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Missed something

Hello Jay

According to me every camp is unique on its own way, the best way to do that is start at third third bridge,xakanaxa and finally north gate, the distance between the camps is not that much, from xakanaxa to 3rd bridge is 20km and 41km frm xakanaxa to north gate. But due to children, you can do 2nights at third bridge and 2 at north gate.

Enjoy!

I agree. Everyone of them is good. Just remember, Khwai Community camp (Mogotho) do not have any facilities I.e. water, toilets, showers, etc and is very expensive (P300pppn) whereas Dijara has toilets and showers for P200pppn
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

We just came back from Moremi, 5 nights at Xakanaxa, great as always. But for firts time in 15 years, camped 2 nights at South Gate and drove around in Black Pools area, its a great part of Moremi!

South Gate (always easy to get a booking) and Black Pools can't be left out! 3rd Bridge is OK, but the monkeys/baboons? Xakanaxas is tops. Whatever just select two or at most three camps and book.

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    South Gate (always easy to get a booking) and Black Pools can't be left out! 3rd Bridge is OK, but the monkeys/baboons? Xakanaxas is tops. Whatever just select two or at most three camps and book.

See my trip report (Part 3 and 4) on South Gate and Black Pools. I really enjoyed that part of Moremi.

http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=210496

Petri

Great trip report and happy to see black pools are so good. We will spend 2 nights at south bridge.