Keto diet





Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 82

Thread: Keto diet

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Malawi
    Posts
    906
    Thanked: 838

    Default Keto diet

    Is there anyone on here that has been on the keto diet for a long time? Say six months or longer ?

    If so, what's your feedback ?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Friemersheim, Southern Cape
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,720
    Thanked: 2070

    Default Re: Keto diet

    Just love the Cauliflower rice!
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richardsbay, KZN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,538
    Thanked: 6009

    Default Re: Keto diet

    Just eat less Tash, no need for fancy diets.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    1,855
    Thanked: 513

    Default Re: Keto diet

    I did it (Keto, Banting, LCHF, whatever you want to call it) for about 8 months back in 2015. I lost about 30kg, felt better overall, slept better, etc. etc. all that. Doctor was thrilled, all my bad stats showed signs of improvement, I was on the verge of being declared "no longer insulin resistant". Insulin resistance is the last station before the train pulls into Diabetesville. Then the end of the year rolled around and went into "I'll pick it up again in the new year" mode. And..... didn't. Humans be dumb.

    But I'm back as of 2 weeks ago. Hopefully permanent, but human beings are weird... we settle into stupidly bad habits despite our brain knowing we're doing really bad stuff....

    The biggest misconception I think around this lifestyle is the idea that you have to eat crazy amounts of fat. It's called "Low Carb, High Fat", so its understandable why people assume that. In fact, it's the "low carb" part that's more important. When you consume less than a certain amount of carbohydrates, your body enters a metabolic state called "ketosis". This essentially means you are being fuelled by fat rather than carbs. Essentially, you eat enough protein to keep your body from consuming muscle mass, as few carbs as possible, and fat is there to satiate your hunger, if you experience any. It doesn't take long to adjust and you'll be quite surprised how little you actually need to eat. As an example, this morning I had 3 strips of bacon and 2 boiled eggs, drank a lot of water during the day (very important), then for supper had a smoked chicken fillet, roast veggies and some feta cheese. Also 3 cups of coffee, no sugar, little bit of milk. Some mornings I'll have a slightly bigger breakfast and not eat anything for the rest of the day as I'm simply not hungry.

    Watch this when you have 18 mins to spare:


    Also...
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...9-Banting-Diet
    https://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-faq/

  6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to HeavyG For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Emalahleni
    Age
    64
    Posts
    274
    Thanked: 112

    Default Re: Keto diet

    Cut out carbs and sugar from your food.
    Then you’re good.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to REAList For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    George
    Posts
    2,728
    Thanked: 1000

    Default Re: Keto diet

    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
    I did it (Keto, Banting, LCHF, whatever you want to call it) for about 8 months back in 2015. I lost about 30kg, felt better overall, slept better, etc. etc. all that. Doctor was thrilled, all my bad stats showed signs of improvement, I was on the verge of being declared "no longer insulin resistant". Insulin resistance is the last station before the train pulls into Diabetesville. Then the end of the year rolled around and went into "I'll pick it up again in the new year" mode. And..... didn't. Humans be dumb.

    But I'm back as of 2 weeks ago. Hopefully permanent, but human beings are weird... we settle into stupidly bad habits despite our brain knowing we're doing really bad stuff....

    The biggest misconception I think around this lifestyle is the idea that you have to eat crazy amounts of fat. It's called "Low Carb, High Fat", so its understandable why people assume that. In fact, it's the "low carb" part that's more important. When you consume less than a certain amount of carbohydrates, your body enters a metabolic state called "ketosis". This essentially means you are being fuelled by fat rather than carbs. Essentially, you eat enough protein to keep your body from consuming muscle mass, as few carbs as possible, and fat is there to satiate your hunger, if you experience any. It doesn't take long to adjust and you'll be quite surprised how little you actually need to eat. As an example, this morning I had 3 strips of bacon and 2 boiled eggs, drank a lot of water during the day (very important), then for supper had a smoked chicken fillet, roast veggies and some feta cheese. Also 3 cups of coffee, no sugar, little bit of milk. Some mornings I'll have a slightly bigger breakfast and not eat anything for the rest of the day as I'm simply not hungry.

    Watch this when you have 18 mins to spare:


    Also...
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...9-Banting-Diet
    https://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-faq/
    Thanks that's some interesting info.

    Good luck with keeping to the diet, if you don't exercise much currently then I'd advise adding that as well. Even just a 3km walk/jog once a day is plenty, also good fun getting out there in the wild world sans vehicle and other acrouments. Add a few body weight exercises and you are gold.

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    56
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanked: 9727

    Default Re: Keto diet

    Works for me. Unfortunately, I'm a brewer and certified beer judge...........so I'm on a constant yo-yo roller-coaster ride.

    I'd say that if you're like me and have some liver issues, a LCMF diet is best: low carb, medium fat.

    So I'd say be MODERATE in your use of fats and oils, be STRICT on your consumption of carbs, get your exercise (a step counter app really helps), and try for moderation in all things.
    Everybody's fat tolerance and metabilisation/digestion differs, so you need to check when you hit your limit in fats. You'll know.

    I was on chronic hypertension meds (Tareg and Cotareg) and my BP is now fine. I'm still 15kgs overweight but hey, I'm not young any more and sit behind a desk every day.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,649
    Thanked: 1829

    Default Re: Keto diet

    My sister in law has been on the Keto diet for more than a year now and they are quite happy
    She does it because of other health issues not because she was getting fat

    She is quite happy and healthy with it
    Difficulty is sticking to it

    Oh wait there is one other bad part
    If you are doing the Keto diet and you have to constantly "replace" everything else you ate with keto components then it can become very expensive very quickly

    So doing things like making special bread that has all the right ingredients so that it is fine for Keto
    And buying special items so you can add fake "Milk" to your tea and so forth, those can quite quickly nail your bank account

    If you just mostly did what is needed and only replaced what is really needed and just removed what is not then it won't be that bad cost wise


    https://hvmn.com/blog/keto-diet/dangers-of-the-keto-diet-debunked

    https://www.insider.com/cheap-keto-f...shop-locally-1

    https://www.ieatketo.com/cheap-keto-dinner-recipes/
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2019/09/11 at 06:41 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

    Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    56
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanked: 9727

    Default Re: Keto diet

    Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    So doing things like making special bread that has all the right ingredients so that it is fine for Keto
    And buying special items so you can add fake "Milk" to your tea and so forth, those can quite quickly nail your bank account

    If you just mostly did what is needed and only replaced what is really needed and just removed what is not then it won't be that bad cost wise

    yep, we just gave up on bread, it's a huge cost trying replicate, also cut out sugar and milk (milk actually contains lactose, a form of sugar....), didn't bother with cream, and we only rarely use things like almond flour

    just whole foods, nothing processed, no strange "spices" that include sugars and glutans

    Bottom line: READ the INGREDIENTS LIST, avoid PROCESSED FOODS
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,951
    Thanked: 474

    Default Re: Keto diet

    Yes, and modified it slightly to 'low carb' (<=~50g carbs / day, up from <20g) for the last couple of months. I think I have found a model that works for me. Total time following this is approx 2.5y IIRC.
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2019/09/11 at 07:12 AM.

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    850
    Thanked: 435

    Default Re: Keto diet

    How does keto differ from banting?

    Banting has worked well for me in the past. I now need to lose a bit (a LOT) of weight again as this past winter I gained quite a bit, and after my knee operation last year I was not really very active in the cardio department.


    I did not know that milk is a no-no. I simply cant have my coffee without milk and a little bit of sugar - sweetner in coffee tastes AWFUL ! But at most I drink 2 cups a day.











    Then there is the brannas and beer issues . . .
    High: KIA Sorento 2.5 Crdi 4x4 - SOLD

    Platkar Haaihoendaai i20 1.4

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,951
    Thanked: 474

    Default Re: Keto diet

    Good for them but it depends on your approach - I am not 'replacing' with 'keto products', I am just cutting it out.
    As Jelo said - (I) stick to real food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    Oh wait there is one other bad part
    If you are doing the Keto diet and you have to constantly "replace" everything else you ate with keto components then it can become very expensive very quickly

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to PieterOos For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,649
    Thanked: 1829

    Default Re: Keto diet

    Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    How does keto differ from banting?

    Banting has worked well for me in the past. I now need to lose a bit (a LOT) of weight again as this past winter I gained quite a bit, and after my knee operation last year I was not really very active in the cardio department.


    I did not know that milk is a no-no. I simply cant have my coffee without milk and a little bit of sugar - sweetner in coffee tastes AWFUL ! But at most I drink 2 cups a day.











    Then there is the brannas and beer issues . . .
    That "I cannot do my coffee without milk and litle bit of sugar" is the same way I did it last time and it does not work
    I feel your pain I also do not want to leave my coffee's milk and sugar but doing it while still taking those in buggers the diet mostly

    as for difference in in banting and Keto
    There’s no strict definition of a low-carb, high-fat diet. Basically, low-carb is keto, but with slightly higher carb intake – maybe 75-150g of carbs a day.
    https://www.amplemeal.com/blogs/home...ats-difference
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

    Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    58
    Posts
    5,961
    Thanked: 2410

    Default Re: Keto diet

    I found it very difficult on the LCHF eating plan but did discover intermittent fasting. Have done this for a year now. My weight is stable and I won't lose any unless I go extreme, but ........ my cardiologist is ecstatic, LDL is where it needs to be along with blood pressure and glucose. I have no lack of energy and the food is far less restrictive. In fact I can have breakfast for supper if I want.

    I eat once a day and cheat on weekends but still stay within my eating hours. Not for everyone I know but it works for me, I am rarely hungry.

    I do the 16/8

    https://jamesclear.com/the-beginners...ittent-fasting

    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-fasting-guide
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

    2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

  21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:


  22. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    40
    Posts
    97
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Keto diet

    Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Just eat less Tash, no need for fancy diets.
    Agree, fancy diets become expensive.

  23. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,370
    Thanked: 699

    Default Re: Keto diet

    Quote Originally Posted by REAList View Post
    Cut out carbs and sugar from your food.
    Then you’re good.
    This.

    I have been on this lifestyle since 2014. Went from around 90kg to just under 80, and for the last 3 years have been hovering around 80-82kg.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to clubbie For This Useful Post:


  25. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    58
    Posts
    5,961
    Thanked: 2410

    Default Re: Keto diet

    Banting, Atkins and Keto all look to put your body into a state of Ketosis. Burning fat as opposed to burning carbs. I did banting/keto several times and each time lost weight, each time fell off the eating plan and each time gained the weight back. Familiar story huh.

    Guys that say diets don't work are right, diets don't work. Diet's are not sustainable in a lot of instances and are short term measures.

    I believe that an eating plan works because this is what you do, every day, for the rest of your life.

    Diet and smoking have to be the two biggest challenges we face because we are addicted to food and nicotine. Putting smoking aside, weight loss has to be one of the biggest money making rackets in modern society, thankfully we are getting the the information we need to make our own choices.

    I mean, really, Banting water on the shelves .... and yet we fall for it. Thank God for age and wisdom.

    If you are serious about your health and well being it is a mental process. Make the decision and stick to it. Does not matter if it is banting, keto or vegan if you make a life commitment to it, it will work.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

    2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:


  27. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,370
    Thanked: 699

    Default Re: Keto diet

    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Banting, Atkins and Keto all look to put your body into a state of Ketosis. Burning fat as opposed to burning carbs. I did banting/keto several times and each time lost weight, each time fell off the eating plan and each time gained the weight back. Familiar story huh.

    Guys that say diets don't work are right, diets don't work. Diet's are not sustainable in a lot of instances and are short term measures.

    I believe that an eating plan works because this is what you do, every day, for the rest of your life.

    Diet and smoking have to be the two biggest challenges we face because we are addicted to food and nicotine. Putting smoking aside, weight loss has to be one of the biggest money making rackets in modern society, thankfully we are getting the the information we need to make our own choices.

    I mean, really, Banting water on the shelves .... and yet we fall for it. Thank God for age and wisdom.

    If you are serious about your health and well being it is a mental process. Make the decision and stick to it. Does not matter if it is banting, keto or vegan if you make a life commitment to it, it will work.
    ..and banting salt.....

  28. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,011
    Thanked: 291

    Default Re: Keto diet

    Atkins already came with the high protein, high fat low carb eating plan many years ago. Lately they say eat medium protein high fat and almost zero carbs. None of these are diets, it is a life style change and you must forget about bread, sugar, fruit, honey, potatoes, carrots etc. Eat meat, fish, chicken, eggs, nuts, avos, cheese etc. Use cream instead of milk, unflavoured, double cream yoghurt, no flavoured ones and no low fat.

    For me this is no issue, in the morning what ever is left over of meat, fish, poultry, I will eat otherwise eggs and most mornings a yoghurt and then coffee, white but bitter or with a sodium saccarin sweetener. If I become hungry snack on fat biltong, dry wors, salami, cabanossi, cheese etc. Spar Viennas only have 1 gram of carbs per vienna so it is fine, some others much higher. Use real butter, no margarien. Use lots of olive oil for salads, baking etc.

    For lunch whatever protein or cheese I want, in the evening protein, green salad, cucumber, feta cheese, spinach ets. If you want fruit a few black or strawberries is allowed. Drink lots of water, and then tea/coffee either black or with cream or a bit of milk and without sugar. Sweeteners is allowed, saccarin is better than aspertame. Drink sodawater, Sprite Zero, Coke Light etc but the latter is sweetened with aspertame which is not so good.

    If you eat large portions you will not loose weight or loose much slower. I drink no alcohol at the moment but once I reached my target weight I will again drink whiskey or a beer or two now and then. Red wine give my gout otherwise I will drink that as well. I aim to loose one kg per week on average, some weeks I loose 3, some none so best is to log your weight once a month. So far I have lost 13 and there is still a long way to go but I find it easy, not hungry, don't crave for anything, feeling healthy etc.

    You can make pancakes, muffins, bread etc from almond and coconut meal but for me it is a nice to have not a necessity.

    By the end it is like giving up smoking or drinking, all in the mind so if you want to do it, no problem. If you spend money to loose weight all it does is to "smokkel met jou kop" and make you think it let you loose weight.
    Last edited by PierredW; 2019/09/11 at 11:17 AM.

  29. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    268
    Thanked: 578

    Default Re: Keto diet

    All the low carb, high protein diets follow the same principle... the proponents who market them need a way to differentiate themselves... Atkins figured you can eat as much fat as you like and still lose weight...

    So if losing weight is the only goal, Atkins will do. But for the rest of us it's for the health benefits... that is when you need to figure out how you are going to apply the diet long term, and which program to use, at least for starters.

    As a family we have never been able to bite the bullet and go the whole hog on any of the programs, but we have had good results reducing carb intake over a number of years. One of the most eye-opening outcomes is that my sinus issues have all but disappeared. I control my weight by the amount I eat.

    We do not try to replicate foods. SWAMBO eats a burger patty without a bun and I just eat it in a bun, no attempt to replace the bun with a mushroom or similar, but not often.

    We eat very little, if any, processed foods, so the patties are home made.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •