Advice needed on compressor

Default Advice needed on compressor

I have an Ingersoll-Rand compressor, Model WB 100. I cannot get any maintenance info on this unit on the Ingersoll-Rand web site or Google. I must assume it is pretty old. I got it from my neighbour who inherited it from his grandfather.

Being American made the thread for the hose is non-metric.

It is a compressor that does not require a tank. It feeds the air straight to the spray gun or whatever device is attached. It can pump tyres, and does a pretty good jop of spray painting with a gravity fed spray gun. In fact, when our oldest bath needed refurbishing the contractor sprayed it with an epoxy paint using this same model compressor.

My question is - no mechanical device with moving parts can go forever without care. What preventative maintenance should be done to this unit and how often. Surely there must be oil that should be changed? Where is the plug, how do I get there and what oil should be used?

Please help. I do not want to lose a very useful tool through lack of maintenance.

See attachment.

Name:  PPK_8318_Fotor.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  370.7 KB
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Thumbs up Re: Advice needed on compressor

I may well be mistaken, but I think it's what they call an "oiless compressor" It very likely has a diaphragm instead of a piston, and if so, the fact it is still going is testament to its quality.
    My advice is to use it till it stops working then take it apart and see if it can be repaired?
    The air fittings on it could well be BSP, or BSW being American.
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

Default Re: Advice needed on compressor

Poen I have the identical model.

Bought around 1983, and still running but never use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Markb View Post
    The air pipe used to screw into the "cylinder head". I made that Italian coupling fit the American thread. It is quite heavy. Weighs more than 12 kilos.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by Markb View Post
    I may well be mistaken, but I think it's what they call an "oiless compressor" It very likely has a diaphragm instead of a piston, and if so, the fact it is still going is testament to its quality.
    My advice is to use it till it stops working then take it apart and see if it can be repaired?
    That's it, I also have the same machine the op has, it uses the std imperial size pipe threads used by all compressors, the fittings are widely available, including most hardware stores.

I had a similar one before my current machine, it had seen 40yrs of the most brutal service and it was still running perfectly when I let it go. The only thing that really can need attention is the main bearings, they use sealed bearings and if they get dirt in them they eventually break down but that's about it.