Computer operating system issues

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Computer operating system issues

I did get my new laptop. In addition to setting that one up have sort out several other. Not so easy. Some comments just as a warning:

Latest Ubuntu installation messes up an old Samsung. Looks like boot sector issue. Even formatting is a problem afterwards. Mint works fine. So if one doesn't work try an other.

Microsoft is changing Win 10 all the time. Substantial and expensive issues:
    - Networking systems are changed and what worked earlier on Win 7 and Win 10 computers may not work. Solutions involve having Windows account. In my case an old MSN account. It can be used to give access privileges to network drives BUT one Win 10 works differently to an other Win 10. Just a warning. Using Windows account changes your password to get to your computer.

- Older network drives are totally invisible and cannot be used until discontinued facility is activated in Win 10, see smbv1 issue in an old post of mine or Google it.

- New Win 10 computer made changes somehow on the network and as a result even Linux cannot access one network drive. I did manage to get 2 to work but the third is not accessible by the new computer. (2 win 7, couple linux and 2 Win 10 laptops)

- I have 3 different ways to get to my locked laptop. In one go lost 2. Do not lose any one of the passwords including your fingers

- I have piece of software. I have installed it several times on upto date Win 10. Impossible on the new. No issue. Get an update. R42 k. Add other updates....

- Better to have a good internet connection. Updates on one computer only several Gb.

If you get new laptop/computer do not expect it to be easy sailing or cheap.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Default Re: Computer operating system issues

Oh, joy!
    I have just taken over number 1 Brat's laptop now she has an Apple and it has W10 on it.
    I can't say I am a fan, right now. Was seriously contemplating upgrading to Win7.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Latest Ubuntu installation messes up an old Samsung. Looks like boot sector issue. Even formatting is a problem afterwards. Mint works fine. So if one doesn't work try an other.

Which Ubuntu? I had 18.04LTS and did something very stupid and had to do complete re-install. Did Ubuntu 19.04. Also boot sector issue. Did a Legacy install instead of UEFI install. Solved my issues
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

I stick with Windows 10, less issues and hassles.

But if I have it my way, I will move over to Apple.
    Sent from my iPhone

With Ubuntu, stick with LTS versions. Go to Apple for fewer problems

New Laptops are full of unwanted software coming from the manufacturer. I always do a clean install (delete all partitions and start fresh).

Problem. Windows 10 Pro/Ent doesn't fit on a DVD. Bootable USB flash drive solves that. Usually the new Laptop doesn't like to boot from the USB because of the "Safe Boot" settings in the BIOS. Once that is sorted it is easy going. I never do the Microsoft account thing . Keep on pushing (microsoft really wants you to log in with your online account) and you can get it to log in with a local admin account. Update the drivers from the manufacturer.

From there it is a joy.
    Last edited by KobusDJ; 2019/10/02 at 07:09 AM.
    Kobus

Nissan

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    Oh, joy!
    I have just taken over number 1 Brat's laptop now she has an Apple and it has W10 on it.
    I can't say I am a fan, right now. Was seriously contemplating upgrading to Win7.
    MS will stop support for Win7 end of this year, no more fixes or updates or new licenses or new developments etc.
    Win 10 works fine, we run our ground station (UAV ground control station) on Win10 with no problems and we have some hectic hardware in some of those computers.
    Neil

9. The Following User Says Thank You to neoT For This Useful Post:

We run all of our laptops and desktops on various flavours of Win10, I really don't understand how you can have issues.

Win10 Home is free. Can't understand what the problem is.

There is no way I'd go to some dodgy version of an OpenSource OS.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

It looks like Win 10 is not so simple issue. Depending how new the computer is there are different updates that are applied. Reading papers this seems to be the case. New laptop left the factory during December. Updates from Dell and MS were at least 2 Gb but most probably substantially more. Generally I have had few issues with Win 10 excluding couple total crashes. I have a lot of software installed so that could be the reason.

MS has definitely changed network issue. Western Digital is trying to keep up. As a result I did get partial solution. Still working on it.

Those who promote Apple:
    - Try to do engineering using it. Some of my customers have tried. Add to that difficulty of getting spares
    - Just this morning was reading about serial production of a cable that looks like Apple product but is the worst spy device you can think.

Apple is good for some people but not for a person like me.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    We run all of our laptops and desktops on various flavours of Win10, I really don't understand how you can have issues.

Win10 Home is free. Can't understand what the problem is.

There is no way I'd go to some dodgy version of an OpenSource OS.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

I took the latest stable version couple days back. I do not take beta or some experiment. Not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Which Ubuntu? I had 18.04LTS and did something very stupid and had to do complete re-install. Did Ubuntu 19.04. Also boot sector issue. Did a Legacy install instead of UEFI install. Solved my issues
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

I liked Win 7 Pro but Win 10 has its benefits. Without Virtual Machines I would not manage either of them because they are 64 bit AND there are no drivers for some equipment and some perfectly good programs will not install. For the main use I will take Win 10.

Dell laptop came with absolute minimum add on programs. One that I took out the is latest MS Office. It was not activated. Doing so will result in constant payments. I install one of our full package 2013 edition stand alone. We have 3 licenses for it. Works 100%.

What really get to my nerves is that:

- Nearly all programs have their own Cloud access and "free"storage space. Buying the the software you pay for that. Why should I have at least 20 Cloud storage if I activate all. Confusing and high risk.

- One program after an other is going to be subscriptions. I hate that. We have a lot of licenses. Some programs are used rarely. Why should I pay all the time. I buy and use the program for years. I do not rent a car permanently and I do not rent software. I have paid subscription fees for some software starting at R10 k plus per year for "support". I cancelled. I knew more together with community support on internet. Buggers do not even do license transfer without subscription for a program I have bought fully.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

There are definitely differences between Win 10 installations although installations should be upto date = the same. Programs that I have installed more than one time on Win 10 will not install on the new computer. They do work on the older without issues. I have upgraded quite a few programs but out of those that I have not two programs will not install:
    Delphi X3
    Pastel XPress 2012

That Pastel might install after 2014 edition. I did not test this. Those that do not install I put on VM that has Win 7 (or XP).

Just consider this kind of issues when buying new computer. Having plenty memory and space on HD you can use Virtual Machines. As absolute minimum Win10 machine 8 Gb memory. (I have 24 and 16) Works fine where the program is not used all the time. You just have to find installation disc for Win 7 and possibly for XP. OEM versions most probably will not work.

Microsoft did say that the operating system name will remain the same although it is changed...
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

It has taken maybe 10 hours to get direct access to WD My Cloud network drive. Actually nice drive as there is internet access possibility also BUT big connection issues with Win 10. This and some other issues have given inside view what is happening:

Microsoft is changing Win10 security and other policies by these updates. There are two basic cases:

1. Old Win 10 system updated. Old system has settings, which allow xyz and when the operating system is updated those settings may remain (but not always). If they remain xyz will continue working. If you do not use the xyz within 15 days then the setting may default or be removed (Happened to me) and xyz stops working.

2. New computer is bought and Win 10 installed with the latest version. Setting for xyz is removed as default and xyz doesn't work. That setting may not even be there. Have to be added.

End result is that there are two win 10 computers with identical operating system revision number and one works and the other not. Help on internet can be and is outdated. It takes time for the suppliers and community groups to find out what is going on.

To find those settings and change them YOU WILL BATTLE.

Just do not call Dr. Nerd on hourly rates to solve the problem
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

I feel very fortunate, that windows 10 just works well for me with almost no issues.
    Oh Yes, only one irritation which i, every time one switches on, this picture of landscapes comes on Microsoft Edge
    which i cant seem to get rid of. I dont even use Edge, but it just wont go away .
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
    I feel very fortunate, that windows 10 just works well for me with almost no issues.
    I get this horrible message that I should register Win10 Home, but apart from that, no issues whatsoever on the streaming PC.
    I have no issues whatsoever on my Win 10 Pro office laptop. I had to disable Google Drive because it kept on backing up my stuff for free.

Strange.

I wonder what we do wrong? I also want to struggle and have broken stuff. I feel so left out and have FOMO.

Oh yes, I tried to install a 3D architect program that was written for Win 3.11 16 bit on Win10 64 bit and it didn't want to run. Microsoft are bastards and say this:
    "16-bit applications, in particular, are not natively supported on 64-bit Windows 10 because the operating system lacks a 16-bit subsystem. This can even affect 32-bit applications that utilize a 16-bit installer."

I think I'll open a thread and slag Windows for creating a crap product, what do you think?
    Percivamus

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Win 10 is stable and nice AFTER you get it working and use only standard software, which you obediently update all the time and you do not use old equipment including printers like the one I have. Lazer A3 bought about 2007 and I have never bought any ink for it. Seller did said that it has a BIG container.

There is an other big upgrade coming. Every time they upgrade there are world wide problems. I try to postpone the upgrade but you can do that only one time and limited to 30 days. People have lost gigabytes of data, bricked computers, software vanishing....

Currently I have 3 Virtual Machines to get all programs and equipment working.

What Win 10 is also doing it adds printers from various networks BUT not with full installations. You have to remove them and then install properly if you need to use them. Changing networks and printers there is a problem that Windows wants to use the last printer used as a default. You can overwrite this until next update.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

I am no fan of windows at all, or Microsoft in general. I used apple products as far as possible, and for the rest run Linux...... but I seriously think you are doing something wrong, as I donít know anyone who battles as much with windows as you do

23. The Following User Says Thank You to RPiet For This Useful Post:

I have to use Windows. No other option. We have more equipment than average house. One and half businesses on multiple fields. Basically I do also IT department's work. When we went to cottage two weeks back we had 5 laptops with us because we are changing them around and SWAMBO started something new. Not very many people install on their computer over 200 programs, 3 operating systems... I do. Those who do software development and they change the development platform (upgrade or new) they know the amount of work involved. Add multiple engineering packages...

Who does a full bootable copy of their HD, has triple back up system...

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    I am no fan of windows at all, or Microsoft in general. I used apple products as far as possible, and for the rest run Linux...... but I seriously think you are doing something wrong, as I donít know anyone who battles as much with windows as you do
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

I think the way you work is wrong. You're trying very hard to decentralise something that should be hosted on a server or cluster of servers. You're causing more work and complexity.

I'd seriously consider using a central cluster of virtualised servers, using the base Hypervisor of your choice.

You can then protect this cluster of hosts properly and institute proper HA and DR methodology.

Development can still be off site using remote desktop or even remote login, remote shell, or any manner of connection from the mobile device.
    You can then execute version control. You can book out versions by upload and then book them back on download.
    Percivamus

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Goes over my head.

It is an exceptional trip/holiday that I do not work and the income normally pays the full trip. Some of those trips are in very limited connection locations. I carry a lot of data but even more software. Old jobs are nearly all now in BackBlaze. Works very well. I can always find a place to download a set but every day/remote desktop - no. Load shedding would kill it also. Only thing is the invoicing. They charge every month the CC. One charge I saw was under $1. Bank charges will be more.

For those who need "cool storage" with instant access it is worth to look at BackBlaze. You do need your own upload/download software. You can either develop it or use commercial. I use Syncovery and it has all the facilities I need (including encryption).

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I think the way you work is wrong. You're trying very hard to decentralise something that should be hosted on a server or cluster of servers. You're causing more work and complexity.

I'd seriously consider using a central cluster of virtualised servers, using the base Hypervisor of your choice.

You can then protect this cluster of hosts properly and institute proper HA and DR methodology.

Development can still be off site using remote desktop or even remote login, remote shell, or any manner of connection from the mobile device.
    You can then execute version control. You can book out versions by upload and then book them back on download.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast