SLOWDONKEY THROUGH AFRICA: Trans-Africa Trip: Anne and Stan Weakley. - Page 5

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thanks for the excellent blog Stan.

I live in anticipation of the updates, especially your forthcoming section trough the Caprivi as we will be visiting there later this year.

Travel safe.
    2013 Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4
    2015 Isuzu KB300

Johann

-----------------------------------------------------

Never test the depth of the water with both feet - W.E.Tnuts

Thanks for the updates Stan, great trip so far by the sound of it....

Travelling in Africa can often be very tough but is always extremely rewarding.

Hi Stan
    This is turning into an epic! I have caught up on your blog - and am now eagerly awaiting information on some areas that we have never visited.
    As usual, you supply us with excellent detail on your camping experiences. I was interested on your comment on the Njuca Hills/Tree Island camping experiences. No humans closer than about 40km and only the call of owls and jackals for company. I compared this to your experiences in Savuti, Chobe etc. The game viewing is certainly more intense in those areas, but at the "price" of way more human interaction.
    In reading your blog, it was interesting how much more of an emotional pull I felt to return to Njuca than to Moremi, Savuti and Chobe.
    Space, peace and solitude wins hands down for us! Each to his own.
    Keep up the good work.
    1999 Isuzu Trooper - The Truck
    2002 Landcruiser 105 - The Grey Nomad

Are others also getting this error message trying to access the slowdonkey site?

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Seeing the same message here.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

No I've been following daily, no hassles

Greg can you access the site at this moment?

This evening is the first time I am having a problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2015/05/13 at 08:38 PM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Default No bandwidth here as well.

Hoping that Stan can fix this problem from the bush! Good luck, we need our daily, weakly(!) fix!
    If life is a journey, be sure to take the scenic route!

Work in EG to pay the bank in Port Elizabeth, the windy city

Someone Fix the website link we are missing out on the updates
    Franna
    Swambo= Porsche Boxster
    Myself= Triton 3.2 Auto.... Cirus Inter-cooler,63 mm Powerflo Exhaust and KSD Chip
    Imagine Trailvan.

Have been following without problem until yesterday - now same message.
    Can someone with internet knowledge assist since it may be impossible for Stan to do anything from the remote areas they are travelling in?
    It would be a great pity to miss these interesting and informative updates.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Are others also getting this error message trying to access the slowdonkey site?

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
    Yes, got the same message this morning. Hope it can be fixed.
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XL Plus 2015 4X4. Now with Cooper S/T,Hella Spotlights, ARB Bull Bar, LAS Econoline Rear Bumper, Customised Rims, Stofpad Rocksliders, Auxiliary Battery Factory Fitted, Fridge Slider, Drawer System with Wolf Pack, Pro Fender Shocks with Extender Shackles and Spacers, Bash Plate, Escape Gear Seat Covers, Hytera two-way Radio, Associer Wiring Harness. Memories- Ford Ranger 3.0 2007 and 2011, Ford Ranger 1.8 LWB, Mazda Drifter 2002.

Hell guys apologies! I get the same message when logging in to slow donkey this afternoon. I only just now have an internet connection after being in the bush. I have phoned my service provider/website manager and he assures me that it is a server problem that he have it sorted this afternoon.

I will then post the next lot of updates. Our visit to Caprivi was cut short by the new stringent foot and mouth regulations in Namibia with a new barrier at Kongola following an outbreak in the Linyanti area in December last year. This new post is likely to be in effect until at least June this year. It affects the movement of meat from cloven-hooved animals from east to west in Caprivi.

I was thus unable to go into Kongola or further west in Caprivi or to try and pass into Sioma-Ngwezi via that seldom used border post north of Kongola. This will be saved for another day. However we thoroughly enjoyed Mudumu (on the Kwando River) and Nkasa Rupara (Mamili) on the Linyanti Swamps, Namibian side. Unfortunately that was all for Caprivi.

Right now I am at Maramba River Lodge in Livingstone having spent last night at Peregrine Campsite nearby. All is well and we are really relaxing into the trip after more than a month on the road. This sort of thing grows on you.

Next to Lusaka briefly and then South Luangwa. Thanks for the interest.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Stan, have a cold Mosi for me on the deck at Maramba - their steaks are pretty good if you don't feel like cooking!

Well back in Cyberland, at Zikomo Camp near the Nsefu region of South Luangwa. This place impresses me at first impression. We are looking forward to taking a very long drive into Nsefu tomorrow. This is a seldom visited part of the park and all we have heard sounds very promising indeed.

I have updated the blogs but loading the photos is slow and laborious and I will catch up slowly. All is very well with us and we are enjoying entering truly new territory now.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Default Zikomo

Stan,

You'll enjoy both the Nsefu sector and of course Zikomo. Regards to Victoria,
    Demien, Zick and all the crew at Zikomo. The sector is so much quieter than around Mfuwe and although the game is probably not as plentiful (at least when we we the in 2013) the sightings were still impressive, especially around the mineral springs.

Really admire what te Wallaces are doing at Zikomo, one of the few camps for self-drivers in South Luangwa and I think the only one in the Nsefu sector.

Ron

Ron, have just given Victoria your regards. They are really revamping the campsite and lodge nicely, opening June 1. I have managed to post some pics from Zikoma and of our game drive today, as well as an update.

Thanks for all the other greetings and messages on the blog itself.

Tomorrow its that awful road back to Lusaka and then our true trip north begins!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Ron, have just given Victoria your regards. They are really revamping the campsite and lodge nicely, opening June 1. I have managed to post some pics from Zikoma and of our game drive today, as well as an update.

Thanks for all the other greetings and messages on the blog itself.

Tomorrow its that awful road back to Lusaka and then our true trip north begins!
    Hi Stan,

Thanks for the info about Zikoma, I will try to pop in next September..

Apart from this I can understand you with the awful road, I drove in one stretch from Pioneer Camp to Wildlife via Chipata last November.

Departed at 6h a.m., arrived totally exhausted at 5h p.m., blamed myself afterwards for having been a potentially dangerous driver as I was awfully tired..

Cheers..

Eric
    Last edited by eric60260; 2015/05/20 at 06:40 PM.

Default COMESA Yellow Card

First of all, I hope you received my email about the consternation you have caused about the COMESA Yellow Card. None of us on the forum think that the broker in Livingstone is correct. It will save you so much hassle if you get your Zambian insurance and COMESA card in Lusaka. Eric is sending you details of the global insurance company in Lusaka that issued his Yellow Card. I have checked with my Kenyan insurance broker and he has not heard anything about COMESA Yellow Card ceasing to exist. I doubt you will be able to get one in Sumbawanga, Tanzania or a remote Kenyan border crossing so better to do it in a capital city.

Also, we camped at Bridge Camp on the Luangwa River on our way from Lusaka to the Malawi border in November 2014. The staff were kind and welcoming, the facilities were fine, and the bar and restaurant area good. The only problem when we were there was Chinese roadworks, but no doubt they have moved further on by now. It will break that long boring drive - and give you a rest from the endless roadworks between Chipata and Luangwa Bridge. You will find far worse campsites/stopovers the further north you go...

Safari njema!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post

Also, we camped at Bridge Camp on the Luangwa River on our way from Lusaka to the Malawi border in November 2014.
    Hello,

Sorry again for Hi-Jacking.

I met last November at Croc Valley a German couple who was very satisfied with his overnight stop at Luangwa Bridge (including catering). They were less satisfied about Croc Valley after an elephant damaged their flip roof in the night (I moved to Wildlife after that night).

But I just realize we must have missed each other very shortly. I was in Croc Valley from November 12th to November 16th or 17th and after that in Malawi.

Cheers..

Travel safe Stan! Enjoy to the fullest.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 Auto
    Ironman Suspension kit
    Suzuki Snorkel
    WECA off road bumper
    Frontrunner roof rack

Venter custom 4x4 trailer

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast