SLOWDONKEY THROUGH AFRICA: Trans-Africa Trip: Anne and Stan Weakley. - Page 4

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

By now you are on your way. Hope you have an amazing trip. Look forward to all your news and photos as you go.
    Good luck and safe and interesting travels

Safe travels Stan and Anne !!!!

Safe travels, and I can't wait for the updates.
    Ockert
    Toyota Prado 120 4.0VX

Stan and Anne, travel safe and enjoy every moment.
    Danie

Real trucks don't have sparkplugs!

2000 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Diesel; DIY Turbo and all ......
    1982 Chevy Blazer 6.2 Diesel; 33" BF's and lots of extras!
    2005 Desert Wolf Leo.

enjoy the trip Stan.
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 DG6 4x4

I wish you a safe and life fulfilling trip. Your story of the lions around your tent in Central Kalahari inspired us to go there. We saw lions! Going back in August. I am sure your humour will see you through the challenges and the amazing times ahead. Stay safe and enjoy travelling together through that wonderful land. Pen

Another chapter in this thing called life. We wish you both safe travels and a trouble free journey. May your guardian angels have little work to do.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Look forward to your posts Stan.
    Travel safely

I'm so excited for you Stan.. after a long wait, the trip date is here and you're on the road. Hope you're travelling safe and see you soon!

Lekker ry, Stan and Anne, safari njema!

Default Blog Updated

Hi all. Have updated the blog today. We are in Maun and have been through CKGR, Makgadikgadi National Park and Nxai Pan.

In CKGR we met with Spook, very bubbly person with her ever smiling husband Willem. In Maun we popped in to say hello to and thank Tara-Lee Flory of Botswana Footprints. Her business is deservedly really starting to take off.

I must apologize for the lack of photos on the website but even at the reputedly fastest internet in Maun they are taking ages to load and I have eventually abandoned it and will wait for a better connection. This is in spite of massively downsizing them.

Next we visit our very old stamping grounds of Moremi and Chobe. It will be in Kasane in about 10days time. We have been having great fun!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Hello Stan and Anne,
    I have been enjoying your updates on your blog and wanted to wish you very safe travels with lots of adventures on the way. Glad to hear that you enjoyed Nxai Pans in the green. We were there last September and were lucky to see Wild Dogs not far from South Camp. My favorite sightings were at the waterhole a few miles from camp of a huge male lion with a very dark Kalahari mane as well as of a youngish male with an all golden mane. I called him "golden boy". As he was walking close to my side of the car, I greeted him with "Good morning Mister Lion", silly, I know, so he got spooked and jumped back with eyes wide open. It was too funny to see a big male lion getting scared of a "talking car". He eventually came back and continued his treck to the waterhole where we had probably twenty minutes with him before he took off in a hurry as a few Wildies approached. So my golden boy turned out to be a scardey cat. Maybe he is now a pride male?
    Speaking of the waterhole, I was dismayed to see how little fresh water was being pumped for the huge amount of animals present. And of course the ellies made a big mud hole of the little water there was available. I passed on my observation to the lady in the office and I hope that this year they will pump more.
    We also enjoyed Khumaga camp at the Boteti River and were really surprised to see so many ellies in and around the river, as well as many ellies in Nxai Pan.
    A tourist information lady in Maun insisted that there was a bridge across the Boteti River into Khumaga camp. Not true... We also were ferried across, but the ferry was for two cars at a time. Cost was about 130 pula each car.
    I was wondering when you will be doing the Northern Circuit in Tanzania. My husband and I will be there from August 3 till 24, doing a self-drive loop in a Defender, visiting Tarangire, Lake Natron, Lobo area, Seronera area, Moru area, Crater, Lake Manyara and finishing with Arusha NP. I would love to see you guys in your Slow Donkey vehicle!
    I know that by the time you read this, you will have enjoyed Moremi, hopefully you got to see the Black Pool area, and Savuti marsh with the Chanel flowing. Can't wait to hear your reports on these favorite places. Happy trails to you! Love the graphic of the lion standing up on your hood. Who knows? It may come true.
    If life is a journey, be sure to take the scenic route!

Best of luck!!!!
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XL 4x4 canvas that will be transformed.

Travel safe Stan and Anne.

Looking forward to some pictures and report.
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

Enjoy Stan.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Hi everyone, 24 days on the road now and all is well. Thanks for your comments and also for those of you commenting on the blog itself. At present in Kasane and will cross into Caprivi tomorrow. We hope to explore this area more thoroughly than we have done in the past, Sandbug can expect us soon.

I have updated the Slow Donkey website and am busy loading some photos as well. Nxai, Moremi and Chobe were great. I am not sure when the next internet connection will be thereafter but will probably post again in a couple of weeks time.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Thanks Stan!

Enjoy exploring Caprivi.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Sę groete vir Curt by Caprivi Houseboat Safaris en geniet 'n glasie wyn op die dek en dink aan ons klomp hier in SA wat sooooo graag saam wou ry.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Thanks Paul en dankie Elize.

Elize as julle aanhou om Blinkgat bo te hou, sal julle dag vir so 'n lang trippie seker ook een dag gebeur. Ek kan dit aanbeveel. Daar heers 'n baie aangename gevoel van tydloosheid wat ons nooit tevore op 'n trip gehad het nie!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

We have spent our first night with "Sandbug" at Caprivi Houseboat Safaris and Curt and Silke could not be more welcoming or helpful. We have arranged to make use of their specialty, the small houseboats they operate. We will be spending 24 hours and overnighting on the Zambezi starting to morrow morning. I will report on my blog concerning this but am looking forward to the opportunities for birding and some bird photography. The boat skipper is a trained guide and a bird expert.

The water levels of the Zambezi are far lower than average and this probably means that areas like Mamili (Rupara) National Park will be far more accessable, something further to look forward to. Apparently there have been foot and mouth outbreaks in the Caprivi recently so that the regulations for meat transport at the foot and mouth barriers heading west are being strictly enforced. We expect to strike the first one at Bongani Bridge, so this might restrict our explorations to the west.

I have posted a short update at www.slowdonkey.com.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2015/05/07 at 09:22 AM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast