Importing a car into Zambia

Default Importing a car into Zambia

Hi everyone

I'm moving to zambia in a few weeks, could anyone give me some info on importing a car into zambia via Namibia?

Is it possible to ship the car over then drive it straight into Zambia (still on UK plates) on a carnet? i want to avoid paying duty at the border as the queues are ridiculous and do it in Lusaka.

Any info greatly appreciated!

-Dave

Yes, your car is fine on a current carnet for a year.

Best of luck trying to import it yourself. It's well-nigh impossible. I had to use a mining company guy who does this for a living, and the total of duties came to about 125% of the value of the car. It took a couple of weeks, endless visits to the (very friendly) officer dealing with the case, and a lot of help from a member of this forum, to whom I remain very grateful (even though his attitude has since changed.)
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

I suggest you use an importing agent at the final destination, once you are settled and have all your work permits, long term visas, employer info, proof of residence, etc etc.

So basically drive there on a carnet and then worry about it later.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Dave
    use a reputable clearing agent such as: http://www.esseclearing.com/

Talk to Mel or Bruce.

Are you coming to Zambia on a work permit?
    If so it should be possible to import the vehicle duty free within the first 6 months of your permit.

It can be a headache and an expensive experience trying to import a vehicle to Zambia but by using a good clearing agent it means that everything is in order and you have a fully legal vehicle here.
    If importing a vehicle on a work/self employment permit it should normaly be issued on a "red book" which means you cannot sell it for 5 years unless you pay a proportion of the duty fees. If you bring it in and pay full duties the vehicle has a "white book" which means duties are all paid up and the vehicle can be sold with out any more duties being levied.
    It is expensive, as Mike says, over 100% of the value of the vehicle, but vehicles in Zambia do tend to hold their value so you should get your money back.

There are also different duties for a pickup/commercial vehicle compared to a station wagon or a vehicle being classed as a luxury vehicle.

Cool

Hi all,

I spoke two years ago with a quite reputable guy from UK, who used to import cars into Zambia on a regular basis, he told me it is not a big problem to underevaluate a car for custom purposes (we were talking about purchasing a Landy from him for 15,000, he told me then he could have it imported on a 3,000 basis). This with the clearing agent named above..

Cheers..

sorry for the delay in getting back to you all.

Thanks for the info, i'll be going to Zambia on a work permit & will need a vehicle for myself fairly soonish.

If things go to plan, i'll more than likely need 3-5 more cars bringing through as the vehicles in Zambia are waaayyy too overpriced for my liking.

-D

Dave you can only bring one vehicle in duty free per work permit. The rest all need duty, Vat and any other charges customs deem are chargeable. Typically over 100% percent of the value they put on the car (not necassarily the price you paid for it) and also the cost they think it should have cost you in transport to get the vehicle to Zambia will also be liable for duites, Vat etc.

This is the reason why vehicle in Zambia seem way way over priced.

I hope that helps?

Quote Originally Posted by dave828 View Post
    sorry for the delay in getting back to you all.

Thanks for the info, i'll be going to Zambia on a work permit & will need a vehicle for myself fairly soonish.

If things go to plan, i'll more than likely need 3-5 more cars bringing through as the vehicles in Zambia are waaayyy too overpriced for my liking.

-D
    Regardless of what you try, importing the vehicle wll in the end cost you as much plus the hassles you go through.
    As a rule of thumb you can calculate 95% of the vehicle's CIF value as duty and taxes. Undervaluing is out these days theofficials use their own standards to assess the vehicle value.

Saying this it becomes clear why the cars are so overpriced,it's the duties and taxes which are coming into play, one way or another.

If you immigrating, you might have a chance for one vehicle at reduced rates if you can prove you were in possession of it for the last 2 years.
    But this might also depend on which passport you are travelling and what employment you are going into.

If you decide to use an agent (recommended) make sure it's not a fly-by-night outfit.

If you are interested in particular tricks say with imports from Japan, PM me.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

dave828,
    Send Bertie (mfuwefarmer) a PM.
    He has Zambian registered vehicles in South Africa.
    He has just left to Zambia to have the vehicle permit stamped.
    Maybe you can do a deal with him.
    Enjoy.

Hi Dave828

Also moving to Zambia from UK but will be there in exactly 2 months. We going to Copperbelt, based in Ndola. Also looking to buy a suitable 4x4 kitted out for camping as we aim to travel a lot as well as work (part time)
    We are after a double cab Hilux preferably

Mike

Once i get a car through, ill post my experience for all the future importers

Mike, if you're after a kitted out Hilux get in touch with Pete at Hemmingways 4x4 hire, they're based in livingstone & only have a fleet of fully equipped Hiluxes. As far as i'm aware the vehicles get all their equipment fitted in SA as the cost involved in zambia is too high, usually accompanied by shoddy workmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by dave828 View Post
    Once i get a car through, ill post my experience for all the future importers

Mike, if you're after a kitted out Hilux get in touch with Pete at Hemmingways 4x4 hire, they're based in livingstone & only have a fleet of fully equipped Hiluxes. As far as i'm aware the vehicles get all their equipment fitted in SA as the cost involved in zambia is too high, usually accompanied by shoddy workmanship.
    Let us know how it goes! I am moving to Zambia in August, driving up from Lesotho.

I will suggest that you buy a vehicle in Zambia way cheaper than bring it in to Zambia you will get away with about $5000 for a Prado or a Hilux Surf (2nd hand of cource)
    Henry
    ZS6IIX
    Mazda 3.4V6
    Toyota 2.5 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by radioteck View Post
    I will suggest that you buy a vehicle in Zambia way cheaper than bring it in to Zambia you will get away with about $5000 for a Prado or a Hilux Surf (2nd hand of cource)
    Henry, not sure where you get your info from but a '94 Prado will put you back at least 15- $20K. I can also guarantee you that the speedo would have been tampered with.....

Do not touch a Surf as it is way too soft for Zambian conditions
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2015/06/04 at 03:28 PM.

Just a question;
    If you import a VW to Zambia, do you then call it a Zambug?
    Last edited by Dustbin; 2015/06/04 at 02:45 PM.

Do not touch a Surf as it is way too soft for Zambian conditions[/QUOTE]

I Hate to disagree with you Bertie, but I have been running a surf in Zambia for the last ten years; I have taken it on 5000km trips round Namibia, including Damaraland and all over Zambia and never had a problem. If you look after them they are great cars and spares are available everywhere as they run pretty much the same under carriage as the Prado. However they are getting a little long in the tooth and everyone her now wants a Prado/ Colorado, so resale value on a surf is not what it was 4 years ago.

Default Re: Importing a car into Zambia

Hello everyone,

I am planning on bringing a car into zambia on a work permit too. What documents will i need for this? Will I need police clearance? as this takes so long in SA and I only have a week to do it. Thank you for any help

Default Re: Importing a car into Zambia

You need to fully export your vehicle from SA, have it de-registered in SA and get your exit stamps
    In Zambia you have 6mths from date of issue of WP to import duty free, and after that you will be paying approx 105% of value of the vehicle in duties.

Suggest you bring the vehicle in initially without mentioning your WP. If the WP is stamped you have had it and they will not allow the vehicle in without a full import

Alternatively buy Zambian reg, but make sure it is not stolen and that all imports have been paid for
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2018/05/05 at 02:36 PM.