High Wind Tents

Thread: High Wind Tents

Default High Wind Tents

Hi all,

I currently have a Howling Moon Bigfoot (aka Howling Moon Safari 3.0), and I'm literally tired of lugging the 30kg tent around for short camping trips. This makes that I don't use the extension that much as it's an additional 30kgs. The tent is magnificent but not for short weekend camping trips.

What tents would you recommend? (I'm looking for a very decent tent, and not just a OzTrail/Coleman etc. tent that you buy on a whim.)

I'm in the CPT region, driving a Jimny, so my boxes to tick are:
    Must handle strong winds
    and
    Light/small when packed. (at least less than my current tent)

I've had a look at Hilleberg tents, but unfortunately they are much too expensive and they are very difficult to find in SA. (unless someone here knows of a local supplier of the Hilleberg tunnel tent range.)
    Last edited by Professional_Weekender; 2015/04/01 at 03:00 PM.
    2014 Jimny
    40mm spacer lift
    Gabriel Safari HDP's
    215/75/R15
    30mm Wheel Spacers
    Steering Damper
    K&N Filter
    TC bash plate
    Burnco Bumper

I hear good things about the Malamoo extra, it's one of those quick pitch tents, don't know about strong winds though.

OZ ticks all the boxes, BUT the size and weight ...

certainly THEE best for PITCHING in the wind

How many people must the tent accommodate?

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Check out mountainmailorder.co.za website. MSR make decent tents, as do mountain hardware. Cheaper options also available.
    Try go for geodesic design. Options that can pitch outer first are ideal, but difficult to come by...could go on, but have a squiz and see if any of them tick your boxes.
    Mike

The Malamoo handles wind just fine, I have been in very strong wind once before, did not even know about it.

I have seen malamoo flattened by wind. www.verticalworld.co.za are the hilleberg agents and the vango range is also stable, the Nemesis 200 is geo and 1/5th the price of hilleberg, I think Ram Mountaineering in Cape Town stock them.
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    How many people must the tent accommodate?
    Me and my wife. This means me my wife and some space to spare.
    2014 Jimny
    40mm spacer lift
    Gabriel Safari HDP's
    215/75/R15
    30mm Wheel Spacers
    Steering Damper
    K&N Filter
    TC bash plate
    Burnco Bumper

After some googling I've found a place online that stock Bibler and MSR tents. Heavy weather tents are not cheap, but eventually you don't have a tent on your face when the wind and rain pics up.

Hilleberg and Helsport are probably the ultimate tents for bad weather because they are used for summit expeditions, but at over R20K it's much more than what I'm willing to pay.

ONLINE SHOP LINK

Mountain Hardwear from Mountain Mail Order (Thanks Maml)
    2014 Jimny
    40mm spacer lift
    Gabriel Safari HDP's
    215/75/R15
    30mm Wheel Spacers
    Steering Damper
    K&N Filter
    TC bash plate
    Burnco Bumper

Not sure what tent your Bigfoot is, but what is wrong with a normal 3 x 3 dome?
    Nylon works fine in wind, except that it is noisy.
    Canvas is great in wind, but then it is heavy again.
    A canvas dome is around 21kg.

If you looking for really light weight, look at the hiking tents. They big enough to sleep in and sit, but no real standing room.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

I picked up a Cape Union Mart K-Way Vista 4-person tent on their sale knocked down from over R2k to (if I remember correctly) around R1300. Haven't pitched in it high winds yet, but it seems very solid (geodesic dome with extra stiffener). I can stand upright in it and I am well over 6' tall, and it will comfortably sleep three adults. Weighs just on 9kg and is pretty compact. They told me the tents would be on sale "while stocks last" so you could phone around and see if any stocks are left. Their 3 and 2 person tents were also on sale.

Sadly, bad weather and cold weather tents in SA sux. They are minute and overpriced. E.g. a "kilimanjaro" spec 3 man tent approx R6k.

So, I ordered from the states. Shop called Cabellas.

I got their regular, house brand geodesic tent. 4 seasons, 6 man with aluminium poles. Aprox R2k + R2.5k shipping. Been in a few wind storms already and it hardly moves. I got it about 4 years ago when the R/$ looked better.

Then the also have thier alaska range. The top end alaska expedition tent was wind tested with a JET engine!!!

I got:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat104303880
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RogueFrontier View Post
    Sadly, bad weather and cold weather tents in SA sux. They are minute and overpriced. E.g. a "kilimanjaro" spec 3 man tent approx R6k.

So, I ordered from the states. Shop called Cabellas.
    A South African people are probably smaller than a US people. A 2 person tent US could possibly be 3 person RSA.

Joking
    2014 Jimny
    40mm spacer lift
    Gabriel Safari HDP's
    215/75/R15
    30mm Wheel Spacers
    Steering Damper
    K&N Filter
    TC bash plate
    Burnco Bumper

When we were students we camped from Onrus Hermanus all the way to Lamberts Bay. The Cape Doctor flattened many tents on many occasions but one tent that stood standing like a rock is the old Cadac Sunseeker Isodome. Pity you don't get them anymore.

Like most I have had a few tents over the years but eventually found that for two people the Tentco 2.5 x 2.5m 1.8m high modern "canvas" dome tent with strong spring steel poles is ideal for longer term trips and wild bush camping and is seriously tough in the wind. Surprise surprise though, the campmaster camp dome 410 from Makro is essentially the identical tent in nylon which we use with the Jimny and it has also handled some fairly strong windy conditions. Only problem is that nylon as a stoep cover that is dependent upon poles and guy ropes is simply too light and would be vulnerable to wind and the risk is there that it could catch rain water. So I roll it up above the door and keep it there with a few clothes pegs. The tent also has a sewn in ground sheet for the front outside of the tent which is of no real use because of the material it is made of so I just fold it under the tent.

I usually take a 3x3m gazebo along and put it over the tent at the lowest setting possible and guy rope it down really well if it starts to rain. This is pretty much the best ground tent system for two people I have been able to find.