Discovery 1 What have you fixed on your Disco 1 today? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Replaced the brake fluid bottle rubbers
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 1 V8i
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Quote Originally Posted by defender200tdi View Post
    Gave it a good go today but couldn't get it done,

On the plus side I saw that there was an earth strap on the starter motor and after I loosened the strap cleaned the contacts and reattached my little truck is starting like a dream.

Is there such a thing as an auto locksmith that could help with my lock woes??
    Spent another couple of hours working on the drivers door of my Disco today and I'm pleased to say that I think I've been successful. I'm going to live in great fear of my door not opening at all for the next week or two but after that I reckon I'm home free. Also managed to tighten the central locking linkage so all doors are locking and unlocking again
    😃😃😃
    1992 Disco 1 200tdi

Quote Originally Posted by defender200tdi View Post
    Spent another couple of hours working on the drivers door of my Disco today and I'm pleased to say that I think I've been successful. I'm going to live in great fear of my door not opening at all for the next week or two but after that I reckon I'm home free. Also managed to tighten the central locking linkage so all doors are locking and unlocking again
    😃😃😃
    Fights with that springs?
    Last edited by Sam vd Merwe; 2015/05/17 at 06:43 PM.
    Landys move the soul.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Fitting the spring into the lock was the easy part Sam. Getting the lock in and out of the door and reconnecting the rods was the rough part. Wouldn't want to do that again in a hurry.
    1992 Disco 1 200tdi

Try the 5th door. The worst one for me. I learned a new word or two
    Landys move the soul.

Default Disco 1 - Running like a beast for the first time!

After replacing every single thing that could affect the startup/firing prosess under the bonnet of the V8, and not getting behind why she was misfiring....

Replaced every single pc box/ elec. box, feul management system i could FIND! And for the first time since I bought my Disco, she's running like a beauty without skipping a beat!!!

Also DIY plastidipped all the black bumbers & nudge bar as this was n test and the beginning to see if it's worth DIY plastidipping the whole car! So far, it' looks like its the way to go!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JTC; 2015/05/18 at 11:40 AM.
    "One does not simply just fix a Land Rover, there's a certain amount of patience, a little bit of luck and a whole lot of oil involved....."

97' D1 V8 Land Rover.
    10' Volvo V50
    15' KTM 250SX
    04' BMW R1150R

Looking good
    Landys move the soul.

Clear the blocked aircon drain pipes. No more wet carpets

Rewired my whole disco, no more elec. problems popping up
    "One does not simply just fix a Land Rover, there's a certain amount of patience, a little bit of luck and a whole lot of oil involved....."

97' D1 V8 Land Rover.
    10' Volvo V50
    15' KTM 250SX
    04' BMW R1150R

JTC

The whole disco

dash, rear wiring , windows and everything ?

Big job but probably worth it

Every single thing! (well 95% , the whole dash, all the lights, windows, harness) basically everything except the wipers... they were still working. And it most definitely was NOT a DIY a big job, but fixed a whole lot of niggles in the process
    Last edited by JTC; 2015/05/26 at 08:57 AM.

97' D1 V8 Land Rover.
    10' Volvo V50
    15' KTM 250SX
    04' BMW R1150R

Fought with the lift pump over the weekend. The right-hand bolt is a mission to get to without a suitably thin ratchet extension that can pass between the injection lines.
    Once that's out, getting the replacement back in without damaging the new gasket made for some tedious work; especially since I'm just too short to have proper footing when making those necessary little adjustments.
    I was also stupid enough to lose one of the no.11 bolts into my front axle mounts. I'll remember to pop a rag into that cavity in future!

JTC I am also fixing my harness, removed the centre part of my dash but looks like I will have to remove complete dash, have a short in the main harness, found two burnt wires and am following them from engine bay to where ever its going under the dash, not easy, its an old problem thats draining my battery, will also look at the window ecu and blocked pipes as there is always water coming through and also remove my heater which is also leaking.......
    Ze'
    '98 Disco 300 Tdi "Stony"
    Ironman suspension, dual tanks/batteries, rr,rtt,snorkel, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ze' View Post
    JTC I am also fixing my harness, removed the centre part of my dash but looks like I will have to remove complete dash, have a short in the main harness, found two burnt wires and am following them from engine bay to where ever its going under the dash, not easy, its an old problem thats draining my battery, will also look at the window ecu and blocked pipes as there is always water coming through and also remove my heater which is also leaking.......
    Yes, unfortunately everything must go before you could actually work there!
    Hell of a job, but well worth it! I found 2 earth wires, that were litarally in pieces and a couple of other ones, that were barely making contact. Also if you want to replace your dash lighting with LED's, this would be the time!!!
    Last edited by JTC; 2015/06/05 at 09:40 AM.

97' D1 V8 Land Rover.
    10' Volvo V50
    15' KTM 250SX
    04' BMW R1150R

Yip, will look at everything that needs fixing ......thanks.
    Ze'

Fixed harness and removed burnt wire, not easy as space is limited.While everything was open under dash I decided to open ECU box as per above video, found some loose connections and resoldered, had to be very carefull as it was difficult to remove the botton connector and in the process I damaged more connections and had to open it a few times , all fixed now, windows working well. Next will try to fix the heater as its leaking water.
    Ze'

Talking SPIDER unit - Starting issues with 300tdi

Okay, so my Disco now has 408,000 km on the clock and naturally there will be a few niggles with it by now. Though, I have to say that I am yet to find another vehicle of the same age which has held its age as well as this guy.

However, there is one problem with a vehicle that will cause you to abandon the bloody thing right there and then and that is when an engine turns over, but won't start. Now, as we know a diesel engine requires three things to start: fuel, air and compression. So, when a 300tdi turns over, but won't start its likely that fuel isn't coming through. The first thing that usually comes to mind is that the little fuel lift pump has had it again; which is precisely what I would have thought had I not replaced it a mere couple of hundred kilometers ago. It turns out that the fuel-stop solenoid had shut off the fuel and the alarm ECU (spider) is the bugger that was responsible for this.

"The spider unit is a small black box of relays, controlled by the immobiliser & alarm, mounted on a panel just in front of (toward the front of the vehicle) and below the radiocassette slot - a very inconvenient position which is designed to be very inaccessible to thieves in a hurry. This contains relays which isolate various key circuits of the vehicle; the feed to the fuel solenoid, and the feed to the starter solenoid on a 300Tdi, and ignition, fuel and starting circuits on a V8. A combination of heat, vibration and a not very good quality circuit board eventually results in a dry solder joint on the circuit tracks inside this unit, which often then get hot and burn out completely." - BogMonster at [http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=86]

LR sells a bypass unit for the problem, but its not very difficult to simply fix the little black box once you manage to get hold of it, which you'll have to do in any event if you want to fit the bypass unit.

I had pretty much followed the instructions which this guy (as per the above link) had done a bloody fantastic job of explaining, re-soldered the dry circuit joints and that was that. Not so much as a hiccup since then.

Side note: Upon re-installing the facia panel I'd left the aerial input on the far side of the right-hand blower and after manhandling everything back in, realizing my mistake only upon connection of the radio terminals, I had decided to leave it at that until I find a replacement part for the blower fan switch...

Post Blower switch

Does anyone have an idea where one might find a replacement blower fan-speed switch? Its made by siemens and the switch itself is usually sold as part of the fan assembly for some stupid reason; especially since this seems like the only part prone to problems.

Also, has anyone done anything about the curling dashboard problem?

Ask landylover on the forum, he has many d1 spares 0833006099

Thanks Sam. Ek sal hom vra.
    Vandag het ek 410000km op die tdi se klok.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2