Mapungubwe info please

Default Mapungubwe info please

We're based at Harties and are planning a trip to Mapungubwe & Marakele next month.
    We have a 4x4 vehicle, an offroad caravan and plenty of time.
    Some questions for advice & clarification please.

1. Mapungubwe
    You can apparently cross to a northern section of the park.
    Are there camping facilities on the northern section?
    Can we take the vehicle & caravan across - also border crossing requirements?

2. How many days should we allocate to Mapungubwe and how many to Marakele?

3. On the way there and back, what other interesting places are there that we could consider visiting.

Your comments & advice will be appreciated.
    Last edited by PRA; 2015/03/31 at 08:41 AM.

Bump

Sorry PRA, not much use to you. We stayed there last in 2010 and I must say I enjoyed it. We did 2 nights on route to Bots, enjoyed the game drives etc. Back then one had to exit the park and drive around with a 40 odd K stretch to the camp site, badly corrugated road at the best of times. My folks did a stint n about 2 years ago and hated it, in fact left early, and they are good campers. Said the baboons were destroying everything, ablutions were dreadful etc.. sorry these are old bits, I am hoping you will get a recent visitor reply as I would be interested to see if any improvements have been made.
    2012 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    Metalian Maxi

Thanks Shippy.

What do you mean by Northern section? I know about Eastern and Western section? The only campsite was in the western section. But i was there about year and a half ago.

We stayed in the Mazhou camp site 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. It is the only campsite in the park and is not fenced. Nice trees and camp sites.

We explored the other sections from there. Some beautiful sections and birding is great. We stayed for 5 days and would do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanHaarhoff View Post
    What do you mean by Northern section? I know about Eastern and Western section? The only campsite was in the western section. But i was there about year and a half ago.
    Apparently as part of the Mapungubwe experience it is possible to cross the Limpopo river into Botswana and visit a northern section of the park, hence my questions.
    I'm not sure i the section on the northern side is part of Mapungubwe or not.

At the time i was there the only place I knew of to cross into Botswana was the formal border post outside the park. But really close, so if there is an entrance to the Botswana side it would be worth while, but I know nothing about it. If you take two days to see the SA side i think you will see everything without rushing too much. But if you dont get up too early and maybe are willing to see one or two things twice 3 won't be unpleasant. I did enjoy it - until the Hilux destroyed its own wheel bearing :-) still want to see Marakele myself.

Thanks Johan

No problem. I was curious and looked at google maps - they have the area as the northern tuli game Reserve. It seems an association of private game farms, some with accommodation. No idea of type and price. Go to www.notugre.com, under links there are some accommodation. Could be incomplete I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    Apparently as part of the Mapungubwe experience it is possible to cross the Limpopo river into Botswana and visit a northern section of the park, hence my questions.
    I'm not sure i the section on the northern side is part of Mapungubwe or not.

I must admit I know very little about Mapungubwe, but I did note with interest in the Authentic Adventures advert that they were going to cross into Botswana..... however since this trip didnt happen (see one of the two or three threads on it) it was mentioned that many people were surprised about being able to cross into Bots. I assumed from reading these that it is not possible.

There is a border post right next to the reserve (pont drif), but that is the only way I suspect. Not sure if that was AA's plan.

Pontdrif is only fordable when the river levels are right down. Else, only pedestrians will be able to cross the Limpopo river with a makeshift cable car/ wire cage contraption. The track (Transit road) onwards from Pontdrif on the Bots side passing through Northern Tuli can get very muddy towards the peak of the wet season and at least some recovery gear is advisable in the wet season. The officials at the border post will be able to advised if the road is flooded or not.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 Auto
    Ironman Suspension kit
    Suzuki Snorkel
    WECA off road bumper
    Frontrunner roof rack

Venter custom 4x4 trailer

Thanks for the replies.
    Walking out the door now on our way to Mapungubwe/Tuli/Marakele - 10 days

Enjoy!

We visited Mapungubwe in Aug last year. Great place. I am also only aware of an eastern and western side, split by de Beers mining company in the middle. Camping is in the Western side of the park, I prefer it that way, no day visitors and travelling masses. Game viewing was also allot better in the western side.

There is a gravel road between the two sides but very very badly corrugated, and some places almost impassible due to erosion during the rainy season. Suggestion is to use the tar road between the two.

Enjoy!
    Danie
    Nissan Hardbody KingCab 4x4
    Volkswagen Polo Maxx
    Jurgens Camplite

Johannesburg (Previously Cape Town/Harare/Masvingo/Chiredzi)

PRA - how was your trip to Maps and Tuli? Very interested. I know Maps well (the SA side) but have never crossed to Tuli. On a whim and because there was availability at Pride Rock Lodge in the Tuli Block and none in Maps, we have booked three nights this weekend. We leave our vehicle (disappointing) at the border and are driven to the camp which is self cater and R850 a night which includes a game drive a day.
    I gather you can take meat and veg across the border
    Mel GJ

Hi Guys
    Me and my girlfriend are visiting Maps in August for the first time. Unfortunately I only have a 2x4 Isuzu bakkie with difflock. I see on the Sanparks website that most of the roads are 4x4 tracks and only about 35km's accessible by sedan vehicles. My experience up to now though has been that many so called "4x4" tracks are perfectly drivable with a good high clearance bakkie. Would really like some info and advice on the real road conditions in the park. Would I be able to drive most routes in the park? Any areas that I will really need 4x4? I have read on Sanparks forums that I should be fine with the bakkie but some confirmation would be great. Any other advice would also be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hencovdb View Post
    Hi Guys
    Me and my girlfriend are visiting Maps in August for the first time. Unfortunately I only have a 2x4 Isuzu bakkie with difflock. I see on the Sanparks website that most of the roads are 4x4 tracks and only about 35km's accessible by sedan vehicles. My experience up to now though has been that many so called "4x4" tracks are perfectly drivable with a good high clearance bakkie. Would really like some info and advice on the real road conditions in the park. Would I be able to drive most routes in the park? Any areas that I will really need 4x4? I have read on Sanparks forums that I should be fine with the bakkie but some confirmation would be great. Any other advice would also be welcome.

You will be fine on most (if not all) roads with your 4x2 bakkie. Some tracks in the Western section gets really wet and nasty in the rainy season. August should be bone dry. The Eastern section has some rocky tracks with steep inclines in some spots and you will be able to go everywhere with a bakkie, but try and avoid the river tracks down by the Limpopo if they are full of mud and water. In the summer rains, some tracks are completely covered by water and in the swampy areas of the western side, even some 4x4s will battle without a back up vehicle. All in all, I would say more than 95% of the tracks in the park will be driveable in the dry season with a high clearance 4x2. However, it is also important to stick to the rules in a NP, so check with the staff on duty regarding which roads you are allowed to use without incurring penalties or damaging the road surface.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 Auto
    Ironman Suspension kit
    Suzuki Snorkel
    WECA off road bumper
    Frontrunner roof rack

Venter custom 4x4 trailer

Thanks a lot Kierie.
    You have been really helpful. I also joined Sanpark's forums and got more or less the same info. August should be dry and mud should thus not be a problem. It's quite a new bakkie so I am going to be very very gentle with it and won't be taking any chances. Will assess each area and probably not drive the 4x4 eco route.
    All the best and thanks again.