Tsavo West N.P. entry coming from Taveta (Tanzania)

Default Tsavo West N.P. entry coming from Taveta (Tanzania)

Hi everybody
    Next august we would entry Tsavo West NP arriving from Taveta, heading Voi, Tsavo...
    My question is about where to pay the entry in this Park? When we arrive from Tanzania we don't have any Kenyan Safaricard ... where could we buy one, in Voi? or where could we pay to enter this park?
    Second question: does anybody know if we could camp in Ngukia Safari Camp, west of Tsavo?

jean michel

The below is from the Kenya Wildlife Service website at http://www.kws.org/

As you will see, Smartcards can be charged at the Mtito Andei gate (which is on the main Nairobi-Mombasa road) which is not actually very convenient if coming from Taveta. However, it is worth emailing KWS to ask as you will not have a Smartcard, but in the past at the Mtito Andei gate, they issue you with a temporary Smartcard for entry to the park.

I don't think that you can camp at Ngulia as it is a lodge not a campsite. Be aware of the difference between "camps" and campsites.

Good luck.

ACCESS

Distance: 240 km from Nairobi, 250km from Mombasa (Mtito Andei Gate).
    By air There are 3 airstrips in the park
    Gates: Tsavo, Lake Jipe, Mtito Andei (Kamboyo HQ), Chyulu, Maktau and Ziwani.
    Roads: The main access routes are through Chyulu Gate from Amboseli and Mtito Andei Gate from Nairobi.
    Visitors from Mombasa also use Tsavo Gate near Manyani.
    The Park can also be reached via Taveta –Voi road through Maktau, Ziwani and Jipe Gates.
    Airstrips: Kamboyo, Kilaguni, Tsavo Gate, Jipe, Kasigau,Finch Hottons, Ziwani, and Maktau airstrips are in good.

SAFARICARD REQUIRED?

Entry is by SafariCard only. Safaricards may be loaded – but not obtained at Mtito Andei Gate
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2015/03/25 at 07:38 PM.

Thank you for your answer.
    I send an email one month ago to KWS but ... no answer, i"ll do it again tomorrow.
    About Ngulia i am not surprised but there are two campsite not too far.

I stayed at Ngulia lodge in 1987. This brought back one of those memories. Do they still tie up a goat to a post during sundowners for the resident leopard to dine on?

Quote Originally Posted by luangwablondes View Post
    I stayed at Ngulia lodge in 1987. This brought back one of those memories. Do they still tie up a goat to a post during sundowners for the resident leopard to dine on?
    Naah, that's Jurassic Park! They stopped the practice not long after 1987. Ngulia is an incredible place to be when the European migrants come through in summer - they seem to favour that corridor and there can be tens of thousands of birds overhead.

It was a big surprise to us. Order up cocktails, a little conversation about the goat and then - hello- a leopard decided to join us. Kind of gory, but nothing another couple scotches couldn't smooth over before dinner. Somehow not how I envisioned as part of my safari. And as usual, where is the camera?

Quote Originally Posted by luangwablondes View Post
    It was a big surprise to us. Order up cocktails, a little conversation about the goat and then - hello- a leopard decided to join us. Kind of gory, but nothing another couple scotches couldn't smooth over before dinner. Somehow not how I envisioned as part of my safari. And as usual, where is the camera?
    We were there in 1994 hoping to see the goat (sorry goat huggers) but were told the SPCA had intervened and stopped the practice. While I deplore feeding wild animals, goats are the scourge of Africa and every goat less is a good thing.

In my reading it appears that using a goat for baiting leopards is still carried out at Samburu Lodge in the Samburu National Park, but I doubt if it is tethered alive to a tree.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Leopard baiting is not allowed nowadays - live or not. The predators then get a taste for livestock which doesn't go down well with the surrounding community.

Hi Jean,

We have entered Tsavo West numerous times from the Taveta side through Ziwani gate. They will book you into the park and notify Mtito Andei gate that you entered, then you can either go and pay the park fees the same day at Mtito Andei or the next if there is not enough time to drive through to Mtito Andei.

Ngulia Safari Camp does not have camp sites.

Regards,

Riaan Marais
    Dar es Salaam