D3 died - Page 6

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: D3 died

Quote Originally Posted by blind View Post
    Would Innovation etc still sell warranties on Disco 3's if it was such a time bomb?
    I do not think all vehicles can be classified as time bombs, my point was rather that some unfortunately soul will be at the receiving end of a massive bill, and that is really not on.
    Last edited by Dirk; 2015/03/17 at 09:55 AM.

If your D3's engine would break the crank shaft, what would be the price range to get something like that fixed?

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

i have asked this question before, and no one can answer, if the peugeots that have that same engine in their cars here is rsa dont break, why do the landies. i asked a mate of mine who is a peugeot mechanic trained in the UK, and he said he never heard of peugeots having this hassle. in fact he had a 3l diesel at the premises with 294000kms on and no engine hassles except for a gasket that went.

Should be around R80 000-100 000 depending on other damage and labor.

Also as previously stated even if they are modern cars the oil specified for those cars are the wrong oil for the region we are in. People tow huge boats and big caravans and drive those cars very hard, with that very very thin oil (our manufacturers should know better of) at very high speeds and ambient temps which I can only imagine the damage caused to those vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by MARIUSJNR View Post

Also as previously stated even if they are modern cars the oil specified for those cars are the wrong oil for the region we are in. People tow huge boats and big caravans and drive those cars very hard, with that very very thin oil (our manufacturers should know better of) at very high speeds and ambient temps which I can only imagine the damage caused to those vehicles.
    Oil specification is another debatable point. I assume that a diesel engine due to higher compression ratio exerts higher forces on the big ends and crank than a petrol engine? Then it is probably true that a turbo engine whether petrol or diesel exerts even more force. My conclusion therefore is that any turbo engine must have a limited lifespan compared to naturally aspirated engines all things being equal. This makes me wonder whether the sc3.0 V6 will last as long as the 5.0 V8.
    2007 Disco 3 V8 s

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodex View Post
    Oil specification is another debatable point. I assume that a diesel engine due to higher compression ratio exerts higher forces on the big ends and crank than a petrol engine? Then it is probably true that a turbo engine whether petrol or diesel exerts even more force. My conclusion therefore is that any turbo engine must have a limited lifespan compared to naturally aspirated engines all things being equal. This makes me wonder whether the sc3.0 V6 will last as long as the 5.0 V8.
    ok, interesting this.
    in fact a factory designed turbo engine designed with longevity in mind should easily out last the no turbo equivalent. why? because the extra gases and compression made in the cylinder actually create more of a cushion effect and there is actually less strain on the engine. when i was involved in owning turbo audis and honda bikes i got very involved in this and when i moved house i lost piles of info on this actual point. i think i shall have to do a search on the net for it.

Gerrit how is it going? Have you got any news for us?
    Dash Fibre: Doing internet differently, drawing customers with best price, keeping customers with best service.

Quote Originally Posted by MARIUSJNR View Post

Are you putting that across as fact or is that your opinion ? I would be interested to see what oil was used during services after the dealer on the cars that have had their crank snap and if snake oil was used or not. I have only ever had good experience with Land Rovers in General but I stick to OEM Filters(over priced) and the oil specified in the manual, most of your wear is on start up (fact) so I can only see benefit in using the thinner oil they specify.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    There is nothing to oh come on about. You are misreading my post, obviously there is a reliance on sensors. Read it again.
    Oh come on I insist all modern turbodiesels depend on sensors for engine and vehicle management. This is compounded with a 4x4 that also needs the sensor inputs to control the tranny and suspension.
    What is unique to the D3 about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Are you putting that across as fact or is that your opinion ? I would be interested to see what oil was used during services after the dealer on the cars that have had their crank snap and if snake oil was used or not. I have only ever had good experience with Land Rovers in General but I stick to OEM Filters(over priced) and the oil specified in the manual, most of your wear is on start up (fact) so I can only see benefit in using the thinner oil they specify.
    My Bearings went at ±170K.
    ALL work carried out previously on that vehicle was by LR Bedforview even tyres and punctures were done through them. Surely they would have used Castrol Edge as the stipulated oil.
    Previous owner never added 2SO, PTFE or any other snake oil or additives. His way of thinking was "If LR Bedfordview use it, I'll use it."

As a side note the invoice for supply, fit, etc was R82K. New LR Sub was used.
    Last edited by Disco-Deon; 2015/03/17 at 01:35 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post
    My Bearings went at ±170K.
    ALL work carried out previously on that vehicle was by LR Bedforview even tyres and punctures were done through them. Surely they would have used Castrol Edge as the stipulated oil.
    Previous owner never added 2SO, PTFE or any other snake oil or additives. His way of thinking was "If LR Bedfordview use it, I'll use it."

As a side note the invoice for supply, fit, etc was R82K. New LR Sub was used.
    At what service interval? Maybe we should ignore yours because judging on previous posts you don't have the best luck
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    At what service interval? Maybe we should ignore yours because judging on previous posts you don't have the best luck

I had only owned the Disco for 6 days and done ±300Km when the motor went so we can't REALLY blame me for that one.

Previous services were done at 24K, which I believe is a large part of the problem under South African conditions.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,

Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post

I had only owned the Disco for 6 days and done ±300Km when the motor went so we can't REALLY blame me for that one.
    That is debateable. Your bad luck is legendary.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

CME did a complete rebuild of mine, with improved slotted bearings, thicker rings and in general tougher components for much less than the R80k mentioned above. I have done 4000km and it is going like a bomb. Initially fuel consumption was a little high but is back to normal now. Power is great. They have done over 20 now, including RR TDV8 and all are running well. Some have done 15 000km plus. I will be towing my Caravan (Big Jurgens Classique) down to the South Coast over Easter holidays. This will be the acid test.
    Ford Wildtrak 2016 A/T
    Honda CRV 2.2 Dtec Elegance 2013 Sold
    LR Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE 2005 Sold

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    That is debateable. Your bad luck is legendary.

My laugh for the day - Thanks
    True though.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,

Just to keep some perspective, when our Tdi had the same km's as my D3, its motor has been opened three times while the tdv6 is still purring along. At least the combined cost was less than replacing one tdv6. ��
    Last edited by faniedup; 2015/03/17 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mice View Post
    CME did a complete rebuild of mine, with improved slotted bearings, thicker rings and in general tougher components for much less than the R80k mentioned above. I have done 4000km and it is going like a bomb. Initially fuel consumption was a little high but is back to normal now. Power is great. They have done over 20 now, including RR TDV8 and all are running well. Some have done 15 000km plus. I will be towing my Caravan (Big Jurgens Classique) down to the South Coast over Easter holidays. This will be the acid test.

Please supply more info on this rebuild.. Was it only preventative ? Who is CME ?
    What was the cost ?

Anybody else done this .

Tx
    Nico
    '91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus - Ex-CT Tdi Disco
    '05 BOV - Big Orange Van - TDV6 D3 G4 It met a COW and is Gone, gone , gone ... replaced
    '11 - D4 V8 - BLACK (for now )
    '10 JK Sahara 2 Door - Open top for me and my boys - 3.8 V6 lifted muds bumpers sorted - Yip also orange
    '16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
    SWAMBO: Black RCZ

I see a few people have asked about replacing or doing preventative work on the harmonic balancer...but no one has answered. I called LP4A to ask about getting a harmonic balancer/pulley and they said they have no idea how much it costs caus they have never had to order one before. They recon it would be a waste. I dunno how accurate that all is but thats what the one person i spoke to told me. Whats peoples opinions on replacing it...is that practical and effective?

Regards,

Noel

2008 Discovery TDV6 SE for me
    2012 Kia Picanto for wife

Hi Noel

it is called a front crankshaft pulley assembly. It consists of two parts bonded, Similar process as used in engine mounts).

With age, wear and tear etc, the rubber compound deteriorates and the pulley assembly becomes wobbly, i.e. it is no longer running true or you could say it has excessive run out.

This causes a vibration, that is amplified through the crank, until eventually the crank snaps at its weakest point.

This amplified vibration is also known as harmonic vibration. A very easy way to understand its destructive force is to take a fishing rod and move it with very small movements of your wrists. When you now look at the tip of the rod, you will see a much bigger travel of that rod at the tip compared to the part in your hand.

In an aeroplane, a small part of a propeller knocked out by a hard object going through it close to the tip can cause such severe vibrations, that the engine mounting pod could be ripped from its anchorage point at the fuselage or in the wings in the case of a multi engine plane.

The same can happen in motor car engines, if there is an imbalance on the front end of the crank. The tension of the Poly-V belt driving the ancillaries amplifies this problem, if there is a structural defect in the balancer/front pulley assembly.

I hope i have been able to explain that in a not too technical way.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post
    Hi Noel

it is called a front crankshaft pulley assembly. It consists of two parts bonded, Similar process as used in engine mounts).

With age, wear and tear etc, the rubber compound deteriorates and the pulley assembly becomes wobbly, i.e. it is no longer running true or you could say it has excessive run out.

This causes a vibration, that is amplified through the crank, until eventually the crank snaps at its weakest point.

This amplified vibration is also known as harmonic vibration. A very easy way to understand its destructive force is to take a fishing rod and move it with very small movements of your wrists. When you now look at the tip of the rod, you will see a much bigger travel of that rod at the tip compared to the part in your hand.

In an aeroplane, a small part of a propeller knocked out by a hard object going through it close to the tip can cause such severe vibrations, that the engine mounting pod could be ripped from its anchorage point at the fuselage or in the wings in the case of a multi engine plane.

The same can happen in motor car engines, if there is an imbalance on the front end of the crank. The tension of the Poly-V belt driving the ancillaries amplifies this problem, if there is a structural defect in the balancer/front pulley assembly.

I hope i have been able to explain that in a not too technical way.
    And yet no one answers the question on whether anything can be done to prevent this problem.
    Last edited by Mac A; 2015/03/18 at 03:09 AM.
    Mac A
    *Disco 3 TDV6 HSE

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast