D3 died - Page 5

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: D3 died

Sorry to hear about this Gerrit! And there I nearly traded one of my vehicles for a beautiful D3!!
    STUCKI
    2010 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX
    2005 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX
    2006 MB C350
    2012 VW Polo Vivo 1.6
    1995 Beech A36
    ex 2010 Isuzu KB300 DTeq LX 4x4

Here is a video clip of a 205k km front pulley, seems to have an ever so slightly ( 0.5mm runout).

Just how true does it have to run, is it possible to make a visual call on the condition of said pulley?

https://plus.google.com/photos/11630...209?banner=pwa
    Last edited by faniedup; 2015/03/16 at 04:10 PM.

I'm about to buy a D3 (sad) with 189K on the clock. I'm so confused right now. Is it easy to fix the front balancer and how much would that cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnna View Post
    i drove a td disco for about 2 weeks, the most comfortble and capable vehicle I ever had, I LOVED IT!... But because of threads like this I sold it. Must say I am not sorry, Landrovers are vehicles that can only be afforded when new and under garuantee. To those that can afford it, you are lucky dogs! To those who want to buy used, be afraid... Be very afraid!
    Stadig oor die klippe, Johnna. Not all Landrovers are ticking time bombs.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

hear hear
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not lekker bud. Take them on.

Quote Originally Posted by GuySA View Post
    Good lord some of you ladies can whine about what you own.

My '08 D3 is over 219k kms, running strong (Especially now that its getting a proper MAF signal) and has never run any artery clogging, crank snapping snake oils.
    Don't bother, you will wear out your keyboard.

There are a few D3's that have toasted tdv6's after receiving "preventative maintenance" for a few years.

As with any other other manufacturer, if your motor is stuffed, it is stuffed
    Discovery 3 TDV6 S G4 No 29 - Mine
    Discovery 4 TDV6 SE - SWAMBO's

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post
    Hi Defender110V8

you are misquoting me here

The snapping of the cranks even happens to engines with perfectly sound bearings.

The snapping of cranks can not be prevented by Poly-TFE, as it is in most cases not caused by a lack of oil pressure. A crank never snaps on its own. That is not possible unless there is substantial casting flaw in the crank.

But what normally causes them to snap is delamination of the rubber bonding between the two parts of the front balancer. This then builds up an imbalance on the front balancer. This is then amplified through the length of the crank. It will always snap at the weakest point. And that is why most of the snapped cranks on TDV6 engines fracture at exactly the same spot. This phenomenon is commonly known as HARMONIC VIBRATION

I have suspected something like that for a long time, as I have quite a bit of experience with damages caused by dodgy balancers or insufficiently torqued front balancer main bolts. See my posting on the OM617 Merc 300D motors.

The issue of the turning bearings is related to excessive cold start wear and tear, aggravated by an insufficient bearing/journal surface area, which is too small for such a powerful engine, pulling a 3ton+ (fully loaded) vehicle along. Once the bearing has been picked up and started its first small rotational shift, desaster is then just a question of time.

And I am glad that you use Poly-TFE in your engine. It will save you lots of bucks in the long run.
    There are only 3 reasons the crank will snap..

1. Bearing failure

2. Harmonic balancer

3. Manufacturing defect

Number 1 is in my view managable providing the crank is within tolerence, no one has yet underaken what I have suggested so yet is unproven, however sump removal in situ is possible and not too labour intensive. The time to do this is at cambelt change time, along with the modified oil pump.

See my thread and look at the one linked back to the disco3.co.uk site

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=215451

Number 2,the front pulley has a harmonic balancer fitted to stop exactly that,harmonic frequencies. The indie I spoke to in Durban stated that Landrover almost insisted a new pulley was fitted when a new short block was fitted. The difference between the UK and SA is everone in SA runs their aircon, and the ambient temp is higher. Funnily enough I looked at the old harmonic balancer that I changed on my TD5 last night, on the face of it no evident failure but it knocked when the aircon was on, so evidently there was a problem. If the harmonic balancer is knackered it will not match the harmonic frequency distortion of the crank. I will not bore you with science but this link provides an excellent explanation.

http://www.dieselarmy.com/engine-tec...nic-balancers/

Number 3, for those of you who play the lottery, well we all do every day we buy any car - however research six sigma quality this is what the OEM's and manufactures strive for, normally around 3.6 in a million I recollect! Of course you have to aggregate that over every part supplied to build a car. I was told the OEM's are penalised big time when they exceed this figure.

The UK is not experiencing major failures to the same extent - or it appears, statistically no one knows the percentage of failures in SA, however if you are one of them my sympathies go out to you.

On a slightly different note I do recall that the TD5 does not have tabbed bearings, anyone like to comment?

Just trying to bring to the forefront some of my engineering and quality experience to stop the supposition and move towards a more evidence based way forward... finding the cure not treating the symptoms.

Do D 4's suffer the same crank failures?

In the process of trading D 3 (80k km ) for D4 (0 km).

Should we use PTFE from day 1 in the D4

Default Ok

PM sent to karenshaw
    Defender Kalahari
    Series 3 SWB
    Series 2 SWB (Near Future)
    Series 1 Station Wagon 88''

Quote Originally Posted by longclose View Post
    There are only 3 reasons the crank will snap..

1. Bearing failure

2. Harmonic balancer

3. Manufacturing defect

Number 1 is in my view managable providing the crank is within tolerence, no one has yet underaken what I have suggested so yet is unproven, however sump removal in situ is possible and not too labour intensive. The time to do this is at cambelt change time, along with the modified oil pump.

See my thread and look at the one linked back to the disco3.co.uk site

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=215451

Number 2,the front pulley has a harmonic balancer fitted to stop exactly that,harmonic frequencies. The indie I spoke to in Durban stated that Landrover almost insisted a new pulley was fitted when a new short block was fitted. The difference between the UK and SA is everone in SA runs their aircon, and the ambient temp is higher. Funnily enough I looked at the old harmonic balancer that I changed on my TD5 last night, on the face of it no evident failure but it knocked when the aircon was on, so evidently there was a problem. If the harmonic balancer is knackered it will not match the harmonic frequency distortion of the crank. I will not bore you with science but this link provides an excellent explanation.

http://www.dieselarmy.com/engine-tec...nic-balancers/

Number 3, for those of you who play the lottery, well we all do every day we buy any car - however research six sigma quality this is what the OEM's and manufactures strive for, normally around 3.6 in a million I recollect! Of course you have to aggregate that over every part supplied to build a car. I was told the OEM's are penalised big time when they exceed this figure.

The UK is not experiencing major failures to the same extent - or it appears, statistically no one knows the percentage of failures in SA, however if you are one of them my sympathies go out to you.

On a slightly different note I do recall that the TD5 does not have tabbed bearings, anyone like to comment?

Just trying to bring to the forefront some of my engineering and quality experience to stop the supposition and move towards a more evidence based way forward... finding the cure not treating the symptoms.
    Mmmmmm, the unobtainable 3.4/million, maybe LR should have used the TPS system instead
    FJC - Just Cruising

The new landys scare me d3/4 and defenders alike. The reliance on electronics is astronomical, as is the cost should anything decide to let go, and electronics always let's go, just a matter of time.

Someone I know with a puma (I think) had his aircon serviced, now there's a burning smell out the dash and the car just doesn't work right anymore. And I wonder about the outcome of this, can he afford to fix it, can he afford not too ? What are the cost implications, lifestyle implications ?

And that's just an aircon.

I'm really sorry for Gerrit though, the engine breaking without warning is just so much worse.
    Last edited by nitrious; 2015/03/16 at 08:41 PM.

It's terrible when your best friend calls it a day.
    But for every sad and horrible tale of destruction and woe, there are 10.000 happy owners out there with a patented PermaGrin

Quote Originally Posted by Baben View Post
    But for every sad and horrible tale of destruction and woe, there are 10.000 happy owners out there with a patented PermaGrin

Thanks Baben. The fact of the matter is even the venerable Toyota conquest dies young occasionally. VERY occasionally to be fair, but dies none the less.

We (including me) lose sight of the fact that people only ever post of mechanical problems on forums.

Every vehicle known to man has a weak point or three. If they're going to die, that's how they tend to go.

The fact of the matter is that if everyone posted about the great drive they just had in their Disco/ Jeep / Mahindra and that it's now on XXXX number of trouble free kilos we would have a better idea of the likelihood of failure. Sadly most of us look at forums and decide that if 10 people in SA have had a crank snap then it going to happen to me as well. Hell, 10 is a lot. . . . Or is it?

There are hundreds if not thousands of Disco 3's out there. We only see the sad stories.

I also believed that I had one of the good ones.... My D3 was running smoothly very nice car and now is dead! If you want to take the chance? I know that one only hears of the one that brake and think is it just people complaining and not looking after their cars, till it happens to you. I should have sold it before 200 000km. I am sorry to say but I was never at ease while driving, always waiting for the bell and limp mode! It was a very nice car for the 100 000 km I had it, but when they brake, they brake big. It is the big brakes that are quiet and costly. Fortunaly every one has a choice, I made mine and believe that the D3 engine is quality wise sub standard and should not be in the car of this magnitude.
    04 Disco 2 TD5 GS - sold
    07 Disco 3 TDV6 SE crank snaped
    02 Jeep cherokee 3.7 LTD sold
    01 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 LTD sold
    06 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo

The problem is that one day there will be 9,999 owners out there with a permagrin, and one sad soul with a D3 parked under a tree.

It is really a concern to me too, I am covered with my warranty until Feb 2016, at which time I have to take out another R15,000 for that just incase moment, and that scares me.

The reliance on sensors etc, and then the funny results one sometimes get adds to the worry, for example an intermittent faulty oil temp sensor will drop your heat gauge to zero and make the auto box go all wonky, revs jumping around erratically etc, with no logged errors...

Some of this stuff just does not add up, even more for an office johnny!

Buying a relatively old car like mine second hand - yes.
    Buying a newish luxury car just after the motor has run out - no.

I know someone who bought a luxury Merc (can't remember the model) for R250k with around 140000km on the clock (almost the same as my Landy). New they are well over a million Rand. In the first year that he owned it it spent more than half of the time at the mechanics due to electrical problems.

There is a reason why luxury vehicles out of motor plan become relatively cheap.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    The reliance on sensors etc, and then the funny results one sometimes get adds to the worry,
    Dirk come on. All modern luxury 4x4's wild have the same reliance on sensors. That is not unique to the D3.

The fact is, you are always taking a risk when buying a used vehicle, particularly a 4x4. (Unless you buy it from my sister that is..)
    So you want to mitigate the risk with a warranty. That's good bang for the buck. Job done.
    The point I am making is that we only hear the bad news. All the happy owners out there are blissfully unaware of any issues and most of them don't even know this forum exists until they have a problem and start googling the answers.

Would Innovation etc still sell warranties on Disco 3's if it was such a time bomb?
    FORD Ranger
    Conqueror Courage

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    Stadig oor die klippe, Johnna. Not all Landrovers are ticking time bombs.
    +1
    I own 3 Disco 2 V8s, on 205000 km, 252000 km and 295000 km repectively, very reliable and I am very happy with them.
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto
    2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

ORRA Z07

Dirk come on. All modern luxury 4x4's wild have the same reliance on sensors. That is not unique to the D3.
    There is nothing to oh come on about.
    You are misreading my post, obviously there is a reliance on sensors.
    Read it again.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast