D3 died - Page 3

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: D3 died

Hi Gerrit

Yes Just like you I wil also have to park my D3 under a tree when the timebomb goes of.I am so disapointed with LR.I traded my 2003 td5 D2 that was in exelent condition in on a D3 because my arse was itching.Now I'm sitting with a time bomb.Any one in the mood to buy a 2007 Disco 3 tdv6 for R 201 000. ......................Yup I thought so.Sitting with a LR that I canot get rid of.Now I know how the suaside bombers must feel at least they know when the bom goes of.I can kick my own arse for selling my td5.And please the people that say there are milions of Disco3s out there with 300 000 plus kms.Please Just like sending photos when you buy a LR.Please give me proof because I personaly think they can not go more than 280 000 without big f ups.So thanks LR for not bieng honest with me from the start as I don't believe the D3 is at all a reliable car

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Longclose

The tdv6 motor is a peugeot motor but that doesnt change the basis of your post

A fully synthetic oil is not made using any crude oil at all. It is made with acids and whisky , alchohol , and some other stuff to give it specific properties

If one could stop the horrific diesel we have in this country , and i am not talking 50 ppm or 500 ppm sulphur here, although it does play a role, getting into the oil we wouldnt have an issue in this country

fully synthetic doesnt have the ability to hide or absorb for want of a better word the molecules like soot - carbon - so that when it gets injected between two metal surfaces to reduce friction some of those soot or foreign molecules remain behind.

This becomes a problem as the carbon molecules are harder than the metals it is separating and causes score marks or wear as we know it

At some point in the 24 k service intervals the foreign stuff in relation to the good stuff rises to such a point that it is harmful on a scale far greater than the original design specs

So fully synthetic is not the golden bullet answer either

The forces in a gearbox where the actual area involved in getting that kw or torque to move that 2 ton mass to 100 kph in 10 seconds on an area of the mesh of the gears of less than 0.5 sq cm is huge. g/box oil last massively longer because it is a closed system except for the metalic bits that wear and bond together forming new - to the g/box that is - foreign bits

Certainly a magnitude of 10 or greater when compared to the bearings on the main crank of the motor even with the forces changing direction in the motor

I am not only blaming the fuel here but it plays a major role if one is going to trust the 24k oil change intervals we have with our diesel

I am not a chemical engineer but a buddy of mine is who makes ethonal and other funny stuff for one of the big global sugar companies

He reckons if the sugar mills in this country were allowed to generate power back into the grid we wouldnt have any issues with power at all - in harvest season only though.

It would be really interesting to get to the bottom of these failures but a budget of note would be needed
    In short the TDV6 is not African proof! I almost bought one. Thanks to the owner who refused to do an oil analysis for me at the time.

Very good points RossJ, I guess like the rest of us as an Engineer by trade it would be good to get to the bottom of these issues so everytime we turn the key we move from the unknown zone to a managable situation.

The TDV6 is a car variant engine in a truck in Africa and I think your points clearly highlight this, yes aware of the joint Ford/PSA development of this engine driven by emissions legislation and huge R&D costs for Euro 4&5. You are probably right in regards to the diesel as European diesel is less than <5PPM. In hindsight you are probably right in regards to the 24k service intervals.

Some refer to the PTFE to be the majic fix, in reality if the bearing is worn before applying PTFE it will not be the magic cure as it is "after the horse has bolted" maybe it will reduce the problem. It would be good to believe that a cost effective preventative solution exists, however the after market shell bearings are currently prohibative to fit as preventative.

I have tried the old trick this morning of timing the oil light "off" duration from a cold start and cycling the ignition to see how long it takes to go out on a restart. In my case, very quickly, so past experience indicates the bearings to be in "servicable condition" it does not stop them rotating however.

Unfortunately the D3 test drive got the better of me last week, I guess these posts (particularly the crankshaft failures) highlight the residuals and the price I paid for both my Disco3.

One question I have are there any symptoms of bearing or balancer failure or is it literally Russian roulette every day?

All of this being said an incredible capable vehicle for low money, just need to get my extended warranty now even with my very low annual mileage- it will be a first for me as normally I would rebuild myself, however body off etc... no way.

Longclose

There has to be a pattern

I sometimes see the trucks that transport the cars to dealers etc and some of them have a vehicle hanging at what looks like 50 degrees plus so that one has to have different forces where it is strapped or oil running to where it shouldnt

Maybe our failures are on the outside of the ship bringing them over

I have seen them loading mercs in the east london harbour on to the ships - a couple of years ago

That driver gets in starts it and in under half a second the merc is going forward to be loaded. The oaks with a clear line get them up to 60 or 80 before slowing down for the ramp.

It looks like that speed anyway

Something as random but predictable as the merc loading example is what we are looking for I think

My D1 in 97 was 300 k off the dealers floor

I paid 130 in 03 with 130 on the clock

To get one at 180k in todays money is a steal by comparison

the OP mentioned his car has had the muti from 40 000km and yet still failed 180 000km later, perhaps not the wonder drug we all had hoped for? in saying that, perhaps it made the motor last a bit longer?
    Discovery 1 300tdi (Sold)
    Discovery 2 td5
    Discovery 3 SE V8

I bought my D3 at 198 000km.Service was done every 10 000km according to the previous owner.Had it serviced at Landyworks and they fitted ptfe at aprox 207 000 km Had it serviced again at 217 000km.I stil believe I am sitting with a timebomb as there were a couple of people that had the crank isue with ptfe in the engin.I believe that you can not cure this tdv6 sickness by ading muti.The only way to fix this is with tabbed bearings.Its a very stupid design for a company that say they are one of the leaders.TIK TOK TIK TOK.Gents the bomb is ticking

Abonable

it would be nice to be able to take your motor apart as at 200 k plus, it seems to be a good one

Then see if the half shell has moved

By how much and analyse the metal surfaces to see why it hasnt failed

But that needs money

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Abonable

it would be nice to be able to take your motor apart as at 200 k plus, it seems to be a good one

Then see if the half shell has moved

By how much and analyse the metal surfaces to see why it hasnt failed

But that needs money
    Can the D3 sump be removed without major heart surgery ie body removal, have done TD5 bearings in half a day for "preventative" purposes as it had done 250k - all like new inside no gloop but that was in the UK

Default Let there be a glint of hope in these dark times in Africa...

I was not referring to load shedding

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic83208.html?

(481k miles) 770,000KM's on original engine

i drove a td disco for about 2 weeks, the most comfortble and capable vehicle I ever had, I LOVED IT!... But because of threads like this I sold it. Must say I am not sorry, Landrovers are vehicles that can only be afforded when new and under garuantee. To those that can afford it, you are lucky dogs! To those who want to buy used, be afraid... Be very afraid!

Default D3 died

Quote Originally Posted by longclose View Post

It is interesting that this issue does not affect UK D3's...

[/I]

I think we're hard on the engines here... Our elevation above sea level, long distances, high heat, often towing and contaminated diesel, dust and genuine off-roading...

These failures seem completely random, some Discos are prestinely maintained and failed, other cars gets abused and yet last hundreds of thousand Km's... These modern cars (from all brands) are very highly strung, perhaps not always suited to our conditions (see Ford Ranger turbo issues at highveld altitudes). It causes very real uncertainty about durability and longelivity. I'm not convinced 'overservicing' is necessarily the answer either...

But I still miss my (sometimes temperamental) D3
    Last edited by NS406; 2015/03/13 at 09:52 PM.
    Jeep GC WK2 - 3.6L - 8-speed

I think that there is one sure fact of a tdv6 and that is that the crank will snap, you just do not know when. They are all time bombs that are very nice to drive! I serviced my D3 self ( oil change) and do not think that JLR would help even if it is a bad design. I will try to claim when Elrico gives me the total damage. This will be my last Landy parked under a tree for the kids to play in.
    04 Disco 2 TD5 GS - sold
    07 Disco 3 TDV6 SE crank snaped
    02 Jeep cherokee 3.7 LTD sold
    01 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 LTD sold
    06 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo

Hi All

referring to the bearing issue. Poly-TFE is no wonder fix. If applied in an older engine, it will prevent further cold start wear and tear. If there is damage present at the time of treatment, Poly-TFE cannot repair such damage!!!

But what Poly-TFE will achieve is to extend the time between treatment and ultimate failure or:

IN THE CASE OF A PERFECT ENGINE PREVENT THE BEGINNING OF ROTATION OF THE BEARINGS.

due to the absence of excessive cold start wear and tear.

I was talking to one of the top TDV6 indies a few weeks ago and he mentioned that in all the cases where he saw incidents of snapped conrods with bearings intact, the front balancer was wobbly, i.e. the rubber bonding between the two parts had been severed or damaged. This will then build up an imbalance which creates a harmonic vibration.

Those of you with aeronautical experience/expertise will know that harmonic vibration is one of the biggest killers in aeroplanes and to be avoided at all costs.
    Last edited by hgbosch; 2015/03/14 at 02:06 AM.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Last edited by Johan Slabbert; 2015/03/14 at 04:16 AM.

I like my D3 very much but its like the human body.One day you can be the healthiest person and the next day they diagnose you with cancer or you get a haert attack.I have 3 small children and a beutiful whife and I'm not prepared to go on holiday and maybe the timebomb goes and leave us stranded next to the road.You can do all the best maint in the world and add the best muti but none of us knows what is going on inside the engin.I'm not prepared emotionaly or finansialy for a desaster like this

I sleep a lot better paying for petrol on the V8.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

I might have missed this but what oil was used on your Tdv6 when you did your own changes?
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I sleep a lot better paying for petrol on the V8.
    Yes I must say I have an early V8 (March 2005) and it runs like a Swiss watch.

To the OP: Good luck. I hope things turn out well for you.
    Last edited by Silver Shadow; 2015/03/14 at 09:40 PM.

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post
    Hi All

referring to the bearing issue. Poly-TFE is no wonder fix. If applied in an older engine, it will prevent further cold start wear and tear. If there is damage present at the time of treatment, Poly-TFE cannot repair such damage!!!

But what Poly-TFE will achieve is to extend the time between treatment and ultimate failure or:

IN THE CASE OF A PERFECT ENGINE PREVENT THE BEGINNING OF ROTATION OF THE BEARINGS.

due to the absence of excessive cold start wear and tear.

I was talking to one of the top TDV6 indies a few weeks ago and he mentioned that in all the cases where he saw incidents of snapped conrods with bearings intact, the front balancer was wobbly, i.e. the rubber bonding between the two parts had been severed or damaged. This will then build up an imbalance which creates a harmonic vibration.

Those of you with aeronautical experience/expertise will know that harmonic vibration is one of the biggest killers in aeroplanes and to be avoided at all costs.
    I dont think cold starts have anything to do with D3 engine failures . If this was the case then all the engines would pop at startup when they have no lubrication not when they have warmed up and are running on the open road .

I think the D3 TDV6 owners who think they have a time bomb should spare some thought for the guys who own a Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD with similar mileage.............and similar issues.

There is a common thread here, and I think long service intervals and diesel particulate levels and quality are a direct cause.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast