Lake Turkana - East route

Default Lake Turkana - East route

Hello,

We've made it to Nairobi. Taking in some RnR at JJ's before heading north.

We want to drive north to the lake from south horr, but some people are saying its tough going and not worth it. Seeing Stan pervious tread, it's a must for other people.

What are your thoughts? Can we do it alone, how are the roads?

Any input is welcome,

Cheers,

Tom
    Will be driving around South and East Africa from April. Any help and advice is welcome.

Hi Tom, I am assuming you are on bikes? The road is rough and very stony, and there are stretches where you have to dodge rocks almost the size of soccer balls. It is rough in a vehicle, and will be a lot rougher on bikes. But for me it is a magical destination - tough and extreme as it is. It's one of those places you go to so you can say "I was there"!

If you are in a 4x4 vehicle, go for it! A fantastic place to see!
    Very tricky for bikes though.
    A great route through to Ethiopia too. Much more interesting than via Moyale.
    98 Defender 110 tdi CSW
    96 Defender 110 tdi pick-up

We are in our defender Tony. My heart is saying do it, my head isn't so sure.
    Will be driving around South and East Africa from April. Any help and advice is welcome.

Check out Horizons Unlimited (The HUBB). Lots of posts on this route including our post on our solo trip Ethiopia to Loiyangalani and south in a Land Rover Defender in December 2013. However, in brief, this route is not for the faint-hearted or unprepared: this is seriously far from help. The HUBB is much better on north of Zambia than this forum. Lots of good advice (and some not so good). Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tommytwobikes View Post
    We are in our defender Tony. My heart is saying do it, my head isn't so sure.
    Do it. You won't regret it. The first sight of the lake as you descend the escarpment from the desert is something you will never forget. It is an epic journey. Give yourselves at least seven days from Nairobi and back again.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2015/03/11 at 11:14 PM.

I think so, the worry is we are carrying on north to London. Do we go north to lleret or turn back at loyangalani and head across to laisamis. Then north from there.

I think so, the worry is we are carrying on north to London. Do we go north to lleret or turn back at loyangalani and head across to laisamis. Then north from there.
    Hi Tom, can't help there - we only went as far as just north of Loiyangalani.

Edit add: We then did Ethiopia on the standard route Isiolo - Marsabit - Moyale.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2015/03/12 at 04:43 PM.

Carry on north!
    Be sure to stay at Richard Leakeys old camp at Koobi Fora on the lake. Fascinating.
    Don't swim though as there are plenty of HUGE crocodiles.

The route north will enter Ethiopia in The Omo region which is a must see. Easier than getting there from the main border crossing at Moyale. Just check on all the entry requirements as there is no real border control.

My avatar pic was taken on this route. It is not such a bad road, the worst is approaching the lake. Heading north afterwards, the road is better. You will need a huge amount of extra fuel though as there is nothing in the OMO region either. We carried 180 litres!!

Enjoy!
    98 Defender 110 tdi CSW
    96 Defender 110 tdi pick-up

You will need to carry sufficient fuel for over 1000kms if you are going into Ethiopia. On our north-south trip down from Ethiopia in December 2013, the last fuel we got was in Arba Minch, Ethiopia and the next reliably available fuel was Maralal, Kenya. Over 1000 kms. (There was, however, fuel from barrels at Loiyangalani, but don't rely on it as it depends when they have had a delivery). For the section from Omorate, Ethiopia to near Loiyangalani, Kenya we didn't see another vehicle for 2 and a half days.

Also, you will need to have got your Ethiopian visa beforehand in Nairobi as visas are not available at the immigration and customs at Omorate, Ethiopia.

You will also need carry sufficient fresh water (Lake Turkana is alkaline), and be totally self-sufficient. This is a tough route.

You might not be able to do this route as the rains are about to break in Kenya. The luggas could be raging. The "main" track from Loiyangalani NE E and SE takes you to Marsabit not Laisamis and goes across the Chalbi Desert. The Chalbi is not a place to be if there has been any rain as you will see from a paper map - marked "liable to flood".

I see you are heading to the UK. We succeeded in driving from the UK to the Cape (and back to Kenya) from August 2013 to December 2014. Just under 35,000 miles.

Green is not quite correct. There aren't any Kenyan border controls on the Omo valley track - you need to clear immigration and customs in Nairobi before you set off. However, there are immigration and customs on the Ethiopian side at Omorate, but you will need to have got your visa in Nairobi. I presume you have a carnet?

Thanks for all the help. The only real way to experience it is to try, so we set off tomorrow. I'll keep you posted,

Tom

Thanks for all the help. The only real way to experience it is to try, so we set off tomorrow. I'll keep you posted,

Tom
    Good luck Tom, would love to hear your trip report. Keep the escape route back to South Horr and across to Marsabit open. As Wazungu Wawili says, if those luggas flood, you are in the dwang. This will be an adventure of note, no doubt.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2015/03/18 at 11:08 PM.