Mountain biking in Johannesburg?

Default Mountain biking in Johannesburg?

Hi,
    could you tell me please where I could rent good mountain bikes near Benoni/Springs for 1 or 2 days?
    Should be there in may and stay 2 days in JNB and would like to go for a little ride to discover.
    What places do you recommend? Do we need a guide or is it easy to ride by ourselves?
    If there are MTB riders around who would like to make us discover nice sites it would be great.
    Thank you for your advices,
    Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by lmc View Post
    Hi,
    could you tell me please where I could rent good mountain bikes near Benoni/Springs for 1 or 2 days?
    Should be there in may and stay 2 days in JNB and would like to go for a little ride to discover.
    What places do you recommend? Do we need a guide or is it easy to ride by ourselves?
    If there are MTB riders around who would like to make us discover nice sites it would be great.
    Thank you for your advices,
    Laurent
    Hi there Laurent,

Bike rental hasnt really taken off that well in Gauteng due the high incidents of fraud and theft

Your best bet would be to use Bike Life. You can rent a bike from them and cycle in one of the best MTB courses in Gauteng, namely Heia Safari/Hero Adventure park

The only problem is that Heia Safari/Hero Adventure park is about 80Km away from Benoni. I will be worth the trip though!

There are a number of trails of varying difficulty and distance with an abundance of wildlife.

You can either stay at Heia Safari/Hero Adventure park or book in at any of the hundreds of lodges in the Cradle area.

Hope this helps!
    Hfx

You can go to GroenKloef in pretoria and hire bikes there. It is a nature reserve as well. This is the main place that I go and ride.

Cheers
    Stephen

Thank you for your help. Seems quite difficult to organize especially when we don't have any car.
    Maybe a visit of Johannesbug by bus for this time.
    We will try on july.

Do you mean you want to tour JHB cbd on a bicyle? Or will you be based in benoni/springs and you just want to ride around the neighbourhood there?

The idea is great, exploring places with a bicycle is the best way to do it, but honestly I could think of much better things to do than try and ride in either the CBD, or Springs for that matter.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Do you mean you want to tour JHB cbd on a bicyle? Or will you be based in benoni/springs and you just want to ride around the neighbourhood there?

The idea is great, exploring places with a bicycle is the best way to do it, but honestly I could think of much better things to do than try and ride in either the CBD, or Springs for that matter.
    No, obviously I don't want to tour JHB CBD on bicycle. I will be in Benoni and just want to ride a nice MTB spot in the neighbourhood. And as I will probably have no car during these days, I just plan to visit JHB CBD by bus. Less exciting sure!
    Nevertheless, we will try to find a good plan to go for a ride when we will be there.
    I don't know JHB (just the neighbourhood of the airport) and that's why I'm looking for informations about good places to ride but I thought it was easier to rent a bike in JHB.

Rietvlei in Alberton also does the bike rental thing. Reasonably priced and very lekka trails

Its not too far from Benoni either

Pajero 2800 - 1999

There is a MTB course at Benoni Country Club as well - in the trees surrounding the course, we have ridden there a few times.... They don't rent as far as I know, but send them an email....

Thank you guys,
    Rietlvei seems great and no too far from Benoni. Will try on may.

Cycle Hub at Rietvlei are closed on mondays, so cant rent the bike. Trail is open if you find a bike elsewhere

Pajero 2800 - 1999