Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shocked..

Replaced the standard shocks on my Jimny Auto with Amada Extremes even before I took delivery. Those standard shocks look like match sticks and Wizzerd advise me they wll not last long. Best decision ever.
    Bdalldorf you can have my standard old ones (0km) if you can get them in EC and swop for 2 x JW Red.

The problem here is not the coil spring spacers nor the shock extension brackets.
    The problem is that that standard shock are used when the vehicle is raised 40mm, the moment you raise the vehicle you increase the centre of gravity, this puts much more pressure on the std shocks which cannot cope with the extra forces as the damping rate are not designed for a raised vehicle, thus the shock will work 10 times harder and will fail very, very quickly.
    Note this is not just applicable to a Jimny, this rule is for all raised vehicle, But you can solve the problem by fitting performance shocks with the lift/spacers.
    Remember replacement coils are normally the better option as the increased tension will also reduce body roll at the higher centre of gravity and for most or rather all suspension upgrade kits, the shock's damping specs are matched to work at their best with the uprated coils, thus will not work as well with the std coils with spacers.

BDalldorf: Any feedback?
    Did you get this sorted out?

I am on the verge of a suspension mod, so I try to gather all information possible.

2014 Jimny JB43
    Stofpad undies
    40mm Amada Xtreme Suspension
    Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA

Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    The problem here is not the coil spring spacers nor the shock extension brackets.
    The problem is that that standard shock are used when the vehicle is raised 40mm, the moment you raise the vehicle you increase the centre of gravity, this puts much more pressure on the std shocks which cannot cope with the extra forces as the damping rate are not designed for a raised vehicle, thus the shock will work 10 times harder and will fail very, very quickly.
    Note this is not just applicable to a Jimny, this rule is for all raised vehicle, But you can solve the problem by fitting performance shocks with the lift/spacers.
    Remember replacement coils are normally the better option as the increased tension will also reduce body roll at the higher centre of gravity and for most or rather all suspension upgrade kits, the shock's damping specs are matched to work at their best with the uprated coils, thus will not work as well with the std coils with spacers.
    Amen brother.
    Cobus
    Jimny

Quote Originally Posted by marlonrc View Post
    BDalldorf: Any feedback?
    Did you get this sorted out?

I am on the verge of a suspension mod, so I try to gather all information possible.
    Took it elsewhere to get looked at, shocks are fine. I though they couldn't be gone already

Have you spoken to XJ Junkie?

Clifford
    ORRA X275
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7l
    Powerbrake AT upgrade.
    Refurbished rims by Mag Workshop
    Grabber ATs
    Front bumper and bash plate by Maniac
    EFS Suspension lift also by Maniac

Hi BDalldorf

I see you are also in EL. If you are like me you drive places like the wild coast trail in Transkei and De Kraal. Fun drives, but I would not be surprised if the OEM shocks don't last.

Hi BDalldorf

I see you are also in EL. If you are like me you drive places like the wild coast trail in Transkei and De Kraal. Fun drives, but I would not be surprised if the OEM shocks don't last.
    Hi Andrew. yes pretty much. and mpongo as well.

I have a wishlist of mods I need to make to the Jimny, offroad shocks are on that list, unfortunately they are also not that cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by BDalldorf View Post
    Hi Andrew. yes pretty much. and mpongo as well.

I have a wishlist of mods I need to make to the Jimny, offroad shocks are on that list, unfortunately they are also not that cheap.

Yes... but talk to me...... I will beat any written quote and give extra 10% on any suspension lift kit for a Jimny!

I am close to saving up, will contact you Cobus

2014 Jimny JB43
    Stofpad undies
    40mm Amada Xtreme Suspension
    Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2