Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hey Stan,

Must be nearly time for the off. How exciting. Just a few random thoughts...

Naiberi River Campsite near Eldoret is an interesting stop en route Not your usual overland campsite...

Re Saiwa, you can stay at Dick Barnleys (though it's not really set up for camping) but he's an interesting guy to share a meal with. Dick can also organise a guide to take you round the Cherangani Highway. As others have said spectacular views. We really enjoyed camping at Saiwa. Had a beautiful site to ourselves and although it's tiny you can spend hours in the hide. Incidentally our highlight here wasn't the birds but the sitatunga which can easily be observed from the hide. We even photographed their special splayed hooves (photos which have since been used in a mammal guide!).

We too went over the passes via the Kerio Vally to Baringo which was stunning. At Bogoria try and camp in the Fig forest at the far end of the lake. Wonderful. One of the Lara Croft films has a sequence filmed there which, as I recall, involved the trees changing into weird creatures. Something which isn't hard to imagine at dusk! At sunrise and sunset the flamingos gravitate to the freshwater stream that flows out into the lake.

Hells Gate NP is a stunner, hardly visited as far as I could tell. No cats so you can walk/cycle there if you like, though watch out for the buffalo...

The Mara is one of my favourite places on earth. If you get into the Triangle seek out Eluai campsite, no facilities but on a koppie overlooking the plains. Magical.

I know you're planning to be there in August but if by any chance you're early then try and find out about the Festival of the Tribes held near Loyangilani. My friends were there last June and their photos were mind boggling. Several hundred tribespeople in full regalia in the mood for celebrating. Apparently it's a new initiative to promote better relations amongst the tribes and has only been held for the last couple of years. It will be the experience of a lifetime. I'll forward you a link to his photos.

All the best,

Lisa

Thank you Liza. As usual very good advice, duly noted.

Yes we are beginning to rush about a little now and waking at night at times with a racing mind. But we are well organized thanks to yourself and others that have helped so much.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by itchyfeet View Post

Hells Gate NP is a stunner, hardly visited as far as I could tell. No cats so you can walk/cycle there if you like, though watch out for the buffalo...
    +1 for that. Hell's Gate is extraordinary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2