Gwala Gwala camping

Default Gwala Gwala camping

Hi all. I usually go to the bush when on holiday but decided to take the kids to the beach for a change. Any advice on Gwala Gwala/Sodwana in general. I dont know the area so any information will be greatly appreciated. Any security issues? what do's and dont's?
    Regards

Have only had bad experience. Both times we lost goods due to thugs walking around at night and stealing from campers. My daughter woke up one night with you know what I want to say in her tent. Sodwana never again Parksboard do not care.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdieg View Post
    Have only had bad experience. Both times we lost goods due to thugs walking around at night and stealing from campers. My daughter woke up one night with you know what I want to say in her tent. Sodwana never again Parksboard do not care.
    Here "they" are referred to as "Locals"

I have done a reasonable amount of camping there in the last few years and luckily never had problems. But waking up with a thief in a tent... Eina that would boil my blood instantly
    Just the monkeys drive me up the wall they are terrible
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Hi,

Just a personal opinion under the circumstances, I would much rather go for camping at Cape Vidal without a doubt.

The theft was a major issue. I personally lost diving camera , cellphone, tablets etc. Since then, security was handed over to a new company, fences was repaired to a state one could call "well looked after". I have not heard of any more issueas since then, and that was more than a year ago. Myself will be booking in to gwala gwala within 10 days again, so we will be able to report back after 11 April. Lokking forward to a break with the family, some diving, reading, snorkling with the kids..... Soddies, here we come again!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfx View Post
    Hi,

Just a personal opinion under the circumstances, I would much rather go for camping at Cape Vidal without a doubt.
    I would agree if it was just camping / fishing but considering the diving side of it Soddies will have to do.

Good news about the sharpened up security.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

We camped at gwala gwala many times during my gauteng days for our fishing and diving holidays ;never had problems but that was a while ago ;we could still drive on the beach and go fishing all along the beach right down to cape vidal or get a permit and drive to mabibi for snorkelling and cook breakfast on the beach ; now you cannot drive and the ezemvelos only issue a permit over the weekends or school holidays just for a few hundred meters - still convenient to park the bakkie on the beach by the water but no appeal if you cannot have it during the week days out of school holidays and for other areas like driving to 9 mile or mabibi or adlams reef or king fish bay ; we went back to sodwana in december 2014 ;stayed at Blue Eye cottages -self catering ; very convenient with security fence ;we drove to mabibi via the sandy road along lake sybaya ; very nice but after that there was another shooting recently ; someone got shot around that area again;so with the sodwana security problems rather go to moz to dive ( i have dived benguerra , ponta , morungulu, pemba ...) and for boat /rock /surf fishing nothing beats the transkei coast...

Default Sodwana shooting again

Damn looks like it's happening again.......
    I saw this in the Zululand Observer today !!!!

IN what may have been an attempted robbery, a camper was shot at Sodwana Bay Campsite late last night.

At about 10.30pm on Sunday, campers heard noises inside the campsite. As one camper opened the zip of his tent, he was shot in the leg.

His femur was reportedly shattered from the gunshot and he was rushed to a hospital in Richards Bay for treatment.

Witnesses say there were three robbers, all of whom fled the scene immediately after having fired the shot.

@TamlynJolly

ALSO READ: Sodwana community tackles crime

Holiday maker fighting for his life after shooting

2014 Toyota Fortuner 3.0D4D 4X4
    2012 Conqueror Comfort
    1 Kwaai broom owner
    2 Screaming kids
    1 Crazy Dog

We just returned today from 16 days at gwala gwala in Sodwana. We had a marvelous time, with one isolated incident were there was a attempted break in at a campsite close to Coral divers. Gwala gwala was peacefull with no problems what so ever. We must say, there were armed security personal patroling thru the camps every night.

On the beach, all the "locals"just loitering around were nowhere to be seen. The ones around wore "sodwana reflector vests", to indicate they are car guards or beach cleaning assistants.

As a whole, we had a marvelous time, with the added "bonus"of witnessing a broadbill hunting in the shallows. Sadley, one has died, but his 2 "tjommies"went of to hunt in the deep again!!!!!! See the facebook page of "seevarkie Sodwana bay "for photos of these magnifisant hunters of the deep!

Sorry , the photos of the fishes are on "die seevarkies" facebook page!

spikkelengogga

I'm planning to go to Sodwana during July holidays. I've already booked a site at Gwalagwala but now wondering if it wouldn't be better at Cape Vidal. Do you have experience of the camping there or perhaps anyone else that can give me some ideas. We are two families traveling and would like to have some nice time at a decent camp. Some info from the members who go there often will be of great help.

Thanks

We did go to Cape Vidal for a day trip to have a look around. It seems much "safer" than Sodies, as the closest 'locals "is more than 40 km away. But, it must be said, the campsites are vary busy, with tents being put up almost on top of one another. There were also quite a few "tourists"around.
    Also, the shop only stock the basics, like wood, coke and sigarettes etc. No fresh vegies, etc...... This will have to be brought in from St Lucia.