Default Advice On Off Beaten Track Route Cape Town To Lesotho Border

My wife, Elmarie, my two small dogs and myself will be travelling to Zastron on the border of Lesotho to pickup another Italian greyhound

Below is my current plan to get over a few passes but not really getting anywhere

1) Have a look at the route up to Prince Albert and let me know what you think.

2) Up to Price Albert we are thinking of sleeping over 3 nights- camping using our Syncro Kombi or stay in a guest house. Any ideas on where this could be?

Now for the proposed route:

From Cape Town the boring N1 route is a 1000 ks to the Lesotho Border at Zastron.

@BosBus (Syncro Forum) suggested Elmarie pick a route there and I'll do it back. Or vice a versa.

I will be using this post to share my planning and later share what Elmarie suggests.

The current idea is to travel to Swellendam from Simonstown early in the morning near the end of April 2015 Google suggests 2 h 49 min (225,4 km) via N2.

Then to Suurbraak http://ctwn.info/1B1gKJx along a lovely tarred road. Instead of going to Barrydale via the tarred and beautiful Tradouw pass I am thinking of crossing the short Moodies pass

This is on the way to Gysmanshoek Pass "an historical ox wagon route dating back to the mid 1700's"

Where to now?

I want to go to Seweweeks Poort and it's between 60 to 80 km from where I ended up at Gysmanshoek Pass.

The author of Mountainpassessouthafrica says, The Seweweeks Poort is probably the most beautiful 17 km stretch of gravel road anywhere in South Africa. and continues, the pass starts near the old Amalienstein Mission station on the R62 between Ladismith and Calitzdorp.

I am thinking of sleeping over one night and the next night in Caltzdorp but this will depend..

If I take the N1 from here I am still 860 ks away from our destination and using the boring-distance as a guide I have only travelled 150 km.

It looks like I have painted myself in a corner going over Seweweeks Poort. From here I can only travel to Liangsberg and hit the N1.

The question is: Do I skip Seweweeks Poort (or do it and drive back) and get to Prins Albert without going to Oudtshoorn.

This, rather, looks like my option - go lower and past Prince Albert over a few passes.

From Caltizdorp I should get to Coetzee's pass. And then do the Swart berg pass.

Now I am close to Prins Albert and far away from the N1. And only 707 ks from Zastron.

Now we should cover a few tarred road kilometers.

I'll keep you posted on my next stretch if it's interesting.

Let me know ;-)

Johan
    Last edited by johanhorak; 2015/03/03 at 04:02 PM.

Johan,

Coming back from Sedgefield on after Christmas we routed (the indirect road less travelled!):

Day 1
    Sedgefield - George - Then after Uniondale cross country through to Baviaanskloof (We should have inserted an extra day in here to spend time in Baviaanskloof instead of just transiting it.)
    Overnighted at Patensie (B&B) - some beautiful river-front camp sites between the southern exit of Baviaanskloof and Patensie, but full at Christmas time.

Day 2
    Headed back a few clicks towards Baviaanskloof and then headed East over a lovely scenic gravel road to Uitenhage. Uitenhage to Graaf Reinet (R75), after Graaf Reinet turned east towards Cradock - Hofmeyer - via the Groot Doringhoek Pass to Burgersdorp - Aliwal North - Rouxville. Then we headed up to Bloem and Jhb, but its only a hop and a skip to Zastron from Rouxville.

There's some lovely scenery out there!
    Andrew Ashton
    2002 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB A/T

View my photos on flickr

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.ashton View Post
    Johan,

Coming back from Sedgefield on after Christmas we routed (the indirect road less travelled!):

Day 1
    Sedgefield - George - Then after Uniondale cross country through to Baviaanskloof (We should have inserted an extra day in here to spend time in Baviaanskloof instead of just transiting it.)
    Overnighted at Patensie (B&B) - some beautiful river-front camp sites between the southern exit of Baviaanskloof and Patensie, but full at Christmas time.

Day 2
    Headed back a few clicks towards Baviaanskloof and then headed East over a lovely scenic gravel road to Uitenhage. Uitenhage to Graaf Reinet (R75), after Graaf Reinet turned east towards Cradock - Hofmeyer - via the Groot Doringhoek Pass to Burgersdorp - Aliwal North - Rouxville. Then we headed up to Bloem and Jhb, but its only a hop and a skip to Zastron from Rouxville.

There's some lovely scenery out there!
    Hi Andrew.

Great. Where you started is where I stopped. Your suggestion is great. I was think of hitting the tar but your route makes me think I should take a little longer to get to Zastron.

My 3 nights and your two nights. Two nights in Zastron and then back home

Kind of you.

Johan

If you need any other info - like how long / distance A to B, etc. I still have the tracklog, so can answer as needed.
    Andrew Ashton

View my photos on flickr

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.ashton View Post
    If you need any other info - like how long / distance A to B, etc. I still have the tracklog, so can answer as needed.
    In think after Prince Albert we will go Willmore Aberdeen via R391 will take us over the Groot Doringhoek pass to Burgersdorp via this route http://goo.gl/maps/KVEAW to Zastron.
    Last edited by johanhorak; 2015/03/03 at 05:35 PM. Reason: subscribe

Should be a scenic trip. Enjoy.
    Andrew Ashton

View my photos on flickr

I am planning a trip that will take me to Port Alfred and then on to Rhodes via the Naudesnek pass and then to Zastron. The route to Zastron is still in planning but there are some nice dirt roads running along the Lesotho Border the only problem is I will be doing this trip in July and I am worried about snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Draadtang View Post
    I am planning a trip that will take me to Port Alfred and then on to Rhodes via the Naudesnek pass and then to Zastron. The route to Zastron is still in planning but there are some nice dirt roads running along the Lesotho Border the only problem is I will be doing this trip in July and I am worried about snow.
    We are now nearly back from our trip to Zastron the long way and will share our photos and trip report covering 3000 km over many many passes, gravel roads, and away from the main roads even closed passes.

The photo above was taken on the old road to Van Stadens on the R102 instead of N2