Northern Tansania 2015 - a mixed experience

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Northern Tansania 2015 - a mixed experience

Dear forumites,

We are back from our short trip to Northern Tansania and I would like to share a few of our experiences.

As the title suggests we had both highlights and lowlights – later in the trip report you will see what I mean.

The time schedule was as follows:

Fri, 30.1., 2h40 arrival at Kilimanjaro Airport, stayed at Planet Lodge, a little outside of Arusha
    Sat, 31.1.; take over of Landrover with rooftop tent and big shopping for 13 days
    Sun, 1.2.: Overnight at Panorama Safari Camp, gamedrive in Lake Manyara NP
    Mon, 2.2. Overnight at NCA, Lake Ndutu special campsite No 1
    Tue, 3.2.: Overnight at NCA, Lake Ndutu special campsite No 1
    Wed, 4.2.: Overnight at Serengeti Seronera, special campsite No 4
    Thu, 5.2.: Overnight at Serengeti Seronera, special campsite No 4
    Fri, 6.2.: Overnight at Moru Kopjes, special campsite No 5
    Sat, 7.2.: Overnight at Moru Kopjes, special campsite No 5
    Sun, 8.2.: Overnight at Moru Kopjes, special campsite No 5
    Mon, 9.2.: Overnight at NCA; Lake Ndutu special campsite No.?
    Tue, 10.2.: Overnight at Tarangire, Public Campsite
    Wed, 11.2.: Overnight at Tarangire, Public Campsite
    Thur, 12.2.: Overnight in Arusha, Planet Lodge
    Fri, 13.2.: Overnight in Arusha, Planet Loge and leave at 2h40 from Kilimanjaro Airport

We had booked a Landrover with rooftop tent from a Swiss guy who cooperates with a local safari agency. While the vehicle itself was o.k., we were not satisfied with the equipment (especially the fridge which did not work 50% of the time). The car did not correspond to the description given in the Internet, ventilation did not work at all, there was no drawer system, no built-in water tank but a 60-Liter (?) barrel which was strapped to the back of the seats.
    Even worse was the owner´s attitude, at our complaints he reacted with both indifference (the fridge did not work – oh really?) and impertinence (why do you need ventilation? You can open the windows!) and we cannot really recommend him.
    At the end when we handed the car back we were not given a detailed list of the costs but were asked to pay another 400 USD. Luckily I had kept track of the cost and asked for a detailed overview as I would expect from any organizsed and reliable agent. It turned out that they had invoiced some of the Ndutu costs twice and the problem was solved. I do not want to suggest that they did it by intention but had the impression that it was another proof of their lack of organization.

All special campsites for NCA and Serengeti and entry fees for NCA were reserved and paid by the car rental agency. This was done free of charge and with acceptable accuracy, though I needed to correct the planning once or twice.

We paid NCA entry fees and camping with the car rental agency´s NCA card – as far as I know it cannot be done in cash or credit card on arrival.
    Entry fees and camping for Serengeti / Tanapa can be paid with credit card (we used VISA), no problem at all.
    One warning for NCA: if you for some reason have the special precharged NCA card make sure that you do a proper check out at the gate (easy, you receive a confirmation slip) – otherwise they might continue to charge further fees to the NCA card as if you haven’t left the area).

Hi Anne,
    How was the campsites ?
    greetings
    fanie

Day 1:

We had reserved 2 nights at Planet Lodge, a bit outside of Arusha. The Lodge has fine cottages with 2 very clean and spacious rooms each. Nice garden with a good view of Mt. Meru, food o.k. the staff very friendly. The Lodge is 15 min. max from the center by car, quiet and recommended.
    We did the car take-over in the later morning and the big shopping in the afternoon.

Nakumat Supermarket was recommended and we did the shopping there. Compared to Pick*nPay in South Africa/Bots/NAM the offer of groceries was very limited but hey, we live like royals at home with 50 different types of cheese and bread and mineral water and God knows what else and this only makes you aware of how incredibly opulent life in Germany is.

I had a feeling that it would be difficult to get certain food in Arusha, so I brought quite a bit of goodies from home. Most helpful was non-perishable whole-meal bread (the bread that we bought in Arusha started to mildew after only 5 days), 2 cans of German Mettwurst sausage (Matthias unlike me is definetly non-vegetarian), freeze-dried mixtures for falafel, thai-curry and indian-curry, cream mushroom sauce, a morrocan millet dish, etc). I would say the food was not as refined as in recent holidays in Southern Africa but at least we did not have to eat canned ravioli for 2 weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0013.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	893.2 KB 
ID:	337232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0009.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	909.8 KB 
ID:	337233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0015.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1,014.8 KB 
ID:	337234  

Day 2:
    We headed on a good tarred road towards Lake Manyara. Originally had we wanted to check out the NP's public campsite and then decide between that one and Panorama Safari Camp but we were not allowed to enter the NP before we had paid entry fees. So we ended up in Panorama Safari Camp which had a nice albeit hazy view of Lake Manyara. The setting on the edge of the rift is spectacular and they have lazy-camping tents, small stone huts that are nice and cool at daytime and hot and stuffy at night. I would not really say that it is a must-see place but it was quiet and people were very friendly.

In Lake Manyara NP we made first contact with tsetse flies when we headed south towards Endallah picnic site. On our way we saw only a few vehicles, nice herds of zebra, giraffe, buffalo, some hippos and elephants and the landscape was beautiful. We descended through a green thick forest with impressive trees which contrasted nicely with the flats around the lake. Wildlife is said to be more prolific in the dry season but it was a nice introduction into the NPs of Northern Tansania

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0023.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	828.5 KB 
ID:	337383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0026.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	801.2 KB 
ID:	337384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0027.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	337385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0062.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	766.7 KB 
ID:	337386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0098.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	660.4 KB 
ID:	337387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0110.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	337388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0119.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	499.9 KB 
ID:	337389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0132.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	337390  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0139.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	354.7 KB 
ID:	337391  

Day 3:
    After another gamedrive in LM NP we were on our way to NCA. The road up to Lodare Gate is still tarred and in good condition. After the gate it is a winding narrow dirt road ascending to Ngonrongoro crater with quite a few safari and commercial vehicles (as far as I can see all supplies going northwards to Ndutu and Serengeti must pass this road) and even a few buses.

The forest was breathtaking with litchen-covered trees and I would have loved to see it on a misty day. Exotic bird calls made it even more special.
    The viewpoint offered an exceptional vista of the crater which is much larger than I imagined. It must be nice to stay in one of the lodges at the rim and see sunset of sunset from there. We had opted not to descend into the crater both due to high cost and sometimes high number of visitors, but Man! it must have been a fantastic place 50 years ago when my uncle visited it the sixties. At that time he did not meet a single vehicle in the crater and I think he could even spend the night on the crater floor (though I am not sure).

We continued towards Lake Ndutu, still breathtaking scenery,light- green mountains as far as you could see,the occasional massai kraal, large herds of cattle and giraffe and other wildlife. The road conditions deteriorated perceptibly and stayed incredibly corrugated until Seronera and all the way back. It was the worst road that we have so far traveled in Africa (though I am sure that there are worse) and the constant rattling, dust and noise made it really unpleasant. Sometimes when we met a car approaching us in the other direction we had to stop because we could hardly see WITHIN the car, not to mention outside the car.

With such conditions you are tempted to drive faster than the allowed 50km/h and on the way back we almost paid a high price. We were driving at ~ 80km/h on that corrugated road, lost track and suddenly found us on the high left bank of the road, desperately trying not to fall over. How we made it back on the main track I will never know but we took it easier from there.

The road then heading west to Lake Ndutu is no longer gravel but dirt. A bit more pleasant to drive but dusty it was! Each time a vehicle approached we thought we were in for a dust storm and felt sorry for the poor Thomson gazelles on the grassy plains which surely have to swallow an incredible amount of dust from all the passing cars. It was obvious that it had not rained for quite some time as the grass was turning yellowish already.

We arrived at NCA Lake Ndutu very much dirty and exhausted in the late afternoon and could not find campsite no. 01. The friendly people at the ranger post showed us the way and we were very happy at such a nice location. Special campsite Ndutu01 has a truly beautiful view over the lake and when we jokingly asked “so where are the lions?” the ranger promptly showed us a pride of lions on the other side of the river valley, a few hundred meters away but definetly visible with good binos! The evening was spent around a very smoky campfire that almost killed us in our rooftop tent

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0144.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	594.6 KB 
ID:	337409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0149.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	700.7 KB 
ID:	337410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0166.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	337411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0186.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	607.5 KB 
ID:	337412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0191.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	682.5 KB 
ID:	337413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0197.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	704.6 KB 
ID:	337414  

Quote Originally Posted by Anne_W View Post

but Man! it must have been a fantastic place 50 years ago when my uncle visited it the sixties. At that time he did not meet a single vehicle in the crater and I think he could even spend the night on the crater floor
    Lovely report, Anne. In 1993 my wife and I spent three nights camping in the fever tree forest on the Crater floor while working with a local conservation NGO. Three of the best nights of my life!

Day 4:
    The next morning we took it easy, enjoyed a long breakfast with a nice view of 2 large elephants that approached us along the lake. We had not really expected them there. In contrast, the large herds of wildebeest and zebra that we had hoped to see had already left west for Maswa Game Reserve due to the lack of rain.

Our first gamedrive was a somewhat sobering experience: at least 4 special campsites on the NCA side and many more on the Serengeti side were occupied with mobile tent safari operators with dozens of safari tents and the associated game drive vehicles. We met many vehicles throughout the day and a “special sighting” was easily recognizable by the number of vehicles. Of course, I cannot blame anybody for stopping when there is a pair of lions or a leopard or larger group of wildebeest or whatever is interesting. We did the same but were simply disappointed by the number of visitors which we have never experienced in Southern Africa. 20 cars around a tree with one poor leopard – this was not the wilderness we had dreamed of!

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0216.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	337584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0232.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1,013.3 KB 
ID:	337585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0258.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	726.4 KB 
ID:	337586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0275.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	543.5 KB 
ID:	337587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0263.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	614.8 KB 
ID:	337588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0292.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	587.2 KB 
ID:	337589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0297.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	519.6 KB 
ID:	337590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0311.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	595.0 KB 
ID:	337591  

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0335.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1,016.9 KB 
ID:	337592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0336.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	592.1 KB 
ID:	337593  

In the afternoon, when we were just watching a nice pair of giraffe between Lake Ndutu and Lake Masek, we suddenly saw a commotion of wildebeest at the far shores of Lake Ndutu. While I thought they were just quickly crossing the shallow waters, Matthias was immediately sure that there was a hunt going on. We studied the scene for a few moments and then were both sure: a pride of lions on the hunt!
    You are allowed to drive on the shores of the lake itself which was very convenient since the path is much smoother, so after a short time we came to the point where 6 lions were standing in the water, one of them held an unfortunate wildebeest calf by its throat and the calf was as good as dead. Another calf was separated from the herd and struggled to cross the lake while one lioness was watching it with great interest but clearly not willing to venture further into the water. I really hope that the calf managed to reunite with the herd that had already reached the other shore.

The lions did not seem particularly hungry and stood rather undecidedly in the lake. Two of them did a kind of staring competition with the aim to decide who could take credit for the hunt. Very much elated and not willing to tempt fate we leaft after a while since we had realized that we were no longer on NCA but on Serengeti territory. The boundary is marked by small white posts, not always clearly visible and if you get caught by the rangers you might be charged the hefty entry fee of the other territory.

As most nights in Tansania, we slept very well in our cozy rooftop tent. The temperature dropped nicely, the whooping hyenas serenaded us to an early sleep and much to our chagrin the lions roared from faaaaaar away and alas did not keep us awake

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0374.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	298.4 KB 
ID:	337609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0379.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	305.9 KB 
ID:	337610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0381.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	420.8 KB 
ID:	337611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0388.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	303.8 KB 
ID:	337612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0389.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	302.5 KB 
ID:	337613   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0392.jpg 
Size:	277.6 KB 
ID:	337614   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0399.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	346.2 KB 
ID:	337615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0397.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	337616  

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0401.jpg 
Size:	416.4 KB 
ID:	337617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0406.jpg 
Size:	496.7 KB 
ID:	337618  
    Last edited by Anne_W; 2015/03/04 at 08:31 PM. Reason: fotos did not load

Wow the lion hunt must have been exciting!!! Lovely photos!

You seem to confirm what I have heard many times - Ndutu is crazy crowded during the calving season! At least you had a campsite - not the first time people are bumped off to make way for an operator (even if you have booked way in advance)

Thank you, and looking forward to more!

Very nice pics Anne !
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XL 4x4 canvas that will be transformed.

@Cheetah, Tony & Nicktravel:

Thanks for your kind comments. It was a special experience indeed.
    Hope to continue with the TR over the weekend.
    After kind of a slack period around Seronera there will be more exciting lion moments around Moru.

Day 5:
    After a not so early breakfast with plenty of lovely birdsongs we left for NCA Naabi Gate. After re-traversing the grassy plains we reached Naabi Gate shortly before our due checkout time at 12h00 noon. Our impressions at the gates of both Tanapa and NCA were always good: people very friendly and helpful (all the more if you greeted them with “Jambo” and replied to their “karibu” with an “asante sana”), the procedure was quick and pretty straightforward. We had done the booking and payment of the campsites through the car rental agent and cannot comment on how difficult it is if you organize this yourself.

There is a small grocery store at Nabi Hills gate but if you want to buy anything else than cookies, potatoe chips or alcohol and soft drinks/water you are well-advised to do so before entering Serengeti. I think they are simply geared towards all-inclusive guests and not towards self-drivers (we saw not a single self-drive vehicle during our time in TAN).

We continued towards Seronera and did not take the main road but one that went further west. At one point we again saw a large group of vehicles and still more were approching so we knew something was going on. It was a leopard walking through the high grass. More and more vehicles circled around the poor cat and it decided to climb a tree. It was a beautiful animal but after not even 5 minutes we decided to leave due to the circus atmosphere.

We arrived at Seronera around 15h00. First we went to one of the public campsites, took a shower and after a somewhat lengthy discussion the camp attendant allowed us to refill our water tank. Then off we went in search of our special campsite Sero01 which in spite of having the Victoria Roodt Serengeti map proved to be very difficult to find. Maybe there is a new edition of this map or the camp numbers were changed – anyway it was really hard to locate (BTW, we still think the Roodt map is essential when you drive in Serengeti yourself. It was invaluable for us and we when in doubt where to go we would often just enter the GPS coordinates provided on the map which generally saved us many a headache).

When we finally reached the site it was blocked by – guess what?- a mobile tented camp operator. After a short discussion we went back to the visitors center and were told that we could have SERO04 instead. So all the way back, past SERO01 and we finally reached our site for the night. While there is nothing wrong with SERO04 it was not comparable with SERO01 with its huge boulders and nice vegetation but it was already late in the afternoon and we did not have any choice anyway so we built up our tent and enjoyed the full moon and quietness. Before midnight the eerie calls of hyenas were getting ever closer and in the moonlight we could watch them passing our tent at only a short distance. Luckily we have formed a habit of stowing everything inside the car before going into the tent so no lost shoes or potje lids as we experienced in KTP

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0416.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	863.3 KB 
ID:	337828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0418.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	529.5 KB 
ID:	337829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0454.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	639.9 KB 
ID:	337830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0457.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	866.2 KB 
ID:	337831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0472.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	752.8 KB 
ID:	337832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0440.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	556.7 KB 
ID:	337833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0501.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	855.4 KB 
ID:	337834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0510.jpg 
Size:	600.3 KB 
ID:	337835  

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0518.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	622.4 KB 
ID:	337836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0520.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	674.5 KB 
ID:	337837  

Day 6:
    We did quite an early and extensive morning drive. Apart from a few zebra, tsesebe, the occasional elephant or hippo it was incredibly quiet - with the advantage that we hardly saw any game drive vehicles at all.

After a long break at our campsite we decided to check out Turner Springs for a possible change of camp since the area around Seronera did not seem especially attractive to us. Unfortunately, after only a few kms tsetse flies started to get very annoying again. As soon as the vegetation got greener these pesky flies were everywhere and we had the choice between closing the windows with suffocating heat and open windows and a frantic battle. Matthias ankles suffered badly while I was hunting the beasts with more success.
    At the right time of the year (i.e. without the tsetses) Turner Springs must be an excellent place to stay. It is far enough from Seronera and thanks to the availability of water there must always be wildlife around. We was impressive herds of buffalo.

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0528.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	338081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0534.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	475.5 KB 
ID:	338082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0612.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	989.4 KB 
ID:	338083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0620.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	737.6 KB 
ID:	338084   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0624.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	515.9 KB 
ID:	338085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0626.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	535.3 KB 
ID:	338086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0627.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	508.1 KB 
ID:	338087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0645.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	869.4 KB 
ID:	338088  

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0664.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	524.8 KB 
ID:	338089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAN_Ser_Ngo_0678.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	392.2 KB 
ID:	338090  

Great pics, Anne - and this, ladies and gentlemen, is why rooftop tents are essential for long overland trips. A ground tent would not hack it on tussock grass like that... unless you have stretchers, which are a pain in the ar**

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Great pics, Anne - and this, ladies and gentlemen, is why rooftop tents are essential for long overland trips. A ground tent would not hack it on tussock grass like that... unless you have stretchers, which are a pain in the ar**
    Hi Tony,

I think seriously of purchasing two of these stretchers:

https://www.globetrotter.de/shop/hel...ite-cot-252180

(sorry it is in German)

I am fed up of inflating matresses (I have a Defender with flip roof, the dome tent is for guests), I saw them in the store in Munich, they are fantastic, do not weight more than inflatable matresses (1.250 g / each), do not take much more room (52 x 13 x 13 cm), only a small problem...they are awfully expensive...

Cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by eric60260 View Post
    Hi Tony,

I think seriously of purchasing two of these stretchers.
    Hi Eric, I have seen those stretchers - how stable are they?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Hi Eric, I have seen those stretchers - how stable are they?
    Tony,

I weight 84 kg in my good days, a bit more in my bad days...

I tested them in the shop, it was fine..

I will be in Munich again on March 20th (visiting my kids), I can have a closer look and ask them for the maximum weight they give a guarantee for..

Anyhow, I am confident that the quality should be fine, Globe Trotter is a very reputable company (they have big shops in most large towns in Germany), most professionnal, my only concern when I visit them is the fact that they have only premium brands (for example Bergans or Fjall Raven for clothing), which are very pricy and quite often outside of my reach.

Cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by eric60260 View Post
    my only concern when I visit them is the fact that they have only premium brands (for example Bergans or Fjall Raven for clothing), .
    Premium brands are good! I would rather pay more for quality than have inferior goods which fail on me when I am many kilometres from civilisation...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast