Hydro-electrical tidal pools... Why not?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hydro-electrical tidal pools... Why not?

I've often wondered why we do not try to harness the normal flow of rivers into the sea by fitting hydro-electrical turbines into the rivers.... Not very unlike the Ruacana system, but on a more general scale. There are plenty rivers flowing into the sea unharnassed.

If the wind-generator farms are working from all over, why not rivers?

I'm sure there are many problems I've not considered such as silt, floods, etc (all of which I'm sure a plan can be made with), but I'm sure it can be done.

Now I see that the UK is going a step further. They want to build a tidal pool to do this. Once again, it's been talked about for probably more than a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXEmHDQtXnw

Question: Why has this not ever been done anywhere?

PS: Mods, I'm not sure that this belongs in this section... please move it if need be.
    Live.
    Love.
    Laugh.

André Opperman

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

Tidal power is massive and energy friendly. (the energy is provided by the moon , and the energy was expended a few billion years back...)

if you could put generators across the entrance to false bay alone the water running in and out would provide about 4 times more than all the power required in the world.

obviously there are the slack water periods where no movement happens.

and it's not really feasible, it's just too much concrete and all the rest.

An interesting one I saw a few years back was hanging generators into the ocean currents - they are also driven by the moon and are far more reliable than wind or tidal rises.

don't know what happened to that idea...

Several years ago I visited the current flow turbines up near Wick in the north of Scotland. These sit is a location of strong current, so are less dependent on tides etc. The tech exists, but not necessarily viable I assume (yet).

Also looked at the proposals to use the Severn estuary as a tidal barrier (it experiences some of the biggest tidal variances in the world I believe), but the cost and the environmental devastation seemd to rule it out. Simply put, it remained cheaper to import coal and gas and burn that to generate electricity.
    2011 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2012 Mini-Metalian Trailer

The maintenance of the sea based generators was too high. So they stopped most. salt not a very friendly medium.
    Torch

Daihatsu Feroza
    1,8 (Toyota 7AGE) custom build
    20V silvertop head
    weber sidedraughts
    30' KL71 muds
    Winch

Platkar: Tucson CRDi
    Buell XB12

There was a program on TV a few years ago where they built a pilot installation with a water impeller in a river.
    IIRC it was installed to provide power to a mall adjacent to the river.

The problems they encountered made it obvious that it is a high risk solution.

They had massive problems with the installation (if the current is strong enough to make it worth the while, it is strong enough to make installation very difficult).

During 'normal' flow periods, it worked well, but every flood wrecked the installation.
    Debris, extreme currents etc.

I think they eventually removed it, IIRC.

I think pumped storage is a better solution.

"Two things are infinite. The universe and human stupidity. ..... and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein

If you see spelling mistakes in my posts, use as many of the goodies below as required to fix it!
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789
    - '

Quote Originally Posted by Torch View Post
    The maintenance of the sea based generators was too high. So they stopped most. salt not a very friendly medium.
    Agreed. The technology is there but the corrosive nature of the salt as well as the abrasive nature of silt in the water has hampered the introduction of this form of emergy porduction.

I have seen (can't remember which rivers) where water is diverted into lateral man made channels along rivers and the flow drives energy production... not sure why it is not routine on all permanent rivers where flow rates are acceptable etc.
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

There is a good reason why most hydro projects involve a very large dam. Consistent head and available volume make for consistent power generation. Also no debris (or at least less of it) make it easier. The only issue is the huge cost of the damn dam ...
    2011 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2012 Mini-Metalian Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by 4eJunior View Post
    During 'normal' flow periods, it worked well, but every flood wrecked the installation.
    Debris, extreme currents etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza1210 View Post
    I have seen (can't remember which rivers) where water is diverted into lateral man made channels along rivers and the flow drives energy production... not sure why it is not routine on all permanent rivers where flow rates are acceptable etc.
    My point exactly.... Surely it cannot be so prohibitively expensive to fit it in an adjacent canal where water can by diverted to (and away from in flood timess) as and wehen needed? By doing this silt can also be minimised.
    Live.
    Love.
    Laugh.

André Opperman

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    My point exactly.... Surely it cannot be so prohibitively expensive to fit it in an adjacent canal where water can by diverted to (and away from in flood timess) as and wehen needed? By doing this silt can also be minimised.
    Flooding is an issue but the channels can be blocked off and the system shut down prior to flood events. As for consistent water flow, the flow rate and the turbine size can be matched / optimised for efficiency.

In the misty parts of my brain I seem to remember that it was something to do with the associated infrastucture / connection to the grid that was partly the problem... but I'm old and forgetful so don't quote me.

I've always thought this to be a viable alternative form of energy production so would also like to know why it is not carried out...
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

I think pumped storage is a better solution.
    But pumped storage doesn't generate power....
    Overkill - isn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    But pumped storage doesn't generate power....
    Really?

eg the Sterkfontein pumped storage scheme:

The scheme provides for up to 27.6 gigawatt-hours (99 TJ) of electricity storage in the form of 27,000,000 cubic metres (950,000,000 cu ft) of water. The water is pumped to Driekloof during times of low national power consumption (generally over weekends) and released back into Kilburn through four 250 megawatts (340,000 hp) turbine generators in times of high electricity demand.
    Read here

.. or here for a nice picture of how it works.

"Two things are infinite. The universe and human stupidity. ..... and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein

If you see spelling mistakes in my posts, use as many of the goodies below as required to fix it!
    - '

I saw an article recently where a similar idea has been implemented in Australia. Don't really remeber the specifics but essential the tides were used to pump water onto land and then ollwed to flow back into the sea to generate power.

Seemded like a great idea

Really?

Read here

It still does not generate power it just stores it

I have also seen a design where a fixed tube is installed with the ocean level halfway. Open top and open bottom.

However, on top there is a fan that turns one way regardless if air is coming in or going out. similar to this - it turns only one way regardless of where the wind come from

Something like this - I can't find the video

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MariusFourie; 2015/03/02 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybritz View Post
    It still does not generate power it just stores it
    Technically (semantically) you are correct, I suppose.
    Let's not get entangled in semantics, though.
    We are having a decent discussion here.

Off-peak power is lost if it is not used (power stations don't shut down partly).
    If that capacity is used in a pumped-storage scheme, it makes sure it is not lost.

So if it is not lost (but 'stored'), it is as good as being 'generated' in peak time.
    A pumped storage scheme therefore reduces the total requirement for generating capacity.

Albert Einstein

- '

Really?

Read here

Ek verstaan hoe werk pumped storage..... Ongelukkig gebruik die pompe meer energie as wat die turbines kan opwek... Hulle is eintlik nett verbruikers.
    Overkill - isn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza1210 View Post
    Flooding is an issue but the channels can be blocked off and the system shut down prior to flood events. As for consistent water flow, the flow rate and the turbine size can be matched / optimised for efficiency.

In the misty parts of my brain I seem to remember that it was something to do with the associated infrastucture / connection to the grid that was partly the problem... but I'm old and forgetful so don't quote me.

I've always thought this to be a viable alternative form of energy production so would also like to know why it is not carried out...
    Is this not basically what they plan for Augrabies ? I seem to recall a huge forum bun fight about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    Ek verstaan hoe werk pumped storage..... Ongelukkig gebruik die pompe meer energie as wat die turbines kan opwek... Hulle is eintlik nett verbruikers.
    Feit is hulle gebruik energie wat andersins gladnie gebruik sou gewees het nie (off-peak).

Albert Einstein

- '

Wont they have a similar issue to the bat's being killed as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...eir-lungs.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast